Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Dude, why even bother. We have thousands of posts of people that want Zimmerman murdered, regardless of his injuries, who started the fight, or if he shot to save his own life. Evidence and facts be damned. Yet when a black man murders a mentally handicapped white man while he's walking his dog, and does so from the safety of his vehicle...not a peep. No hyprocasy involved, nope, none.

More Zimmerman is the victim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I wasn't having a go at you....... i know you said you should obey a police officers orders but in the USA as in the UK if you disobey a police officers orders you can be arrested...... in some states here it is a criminal act not to obey a police officers orders.... the federal law is such that you can be arrested for numerous things if you disobey a police officer or even other emergency srvices in certain instances.............

Failure to obey a police officer may result in arrest under one of the following criminal offenses:
  • Disorderly Conduct(RCW 9A.84.030)
  • Failure to Disperse(RCW 9A.8A4.020)
  • Resisting Arrest(RCW 9A.76.040)
  • Interference, obstruction of any court, building, or residence(RCW 9.27.015)
  • Trespass(RCW 9A.52.070; RCW 9A.52.080)
  • Disturbing school, school activities, or meetings(RCW 28A.87.060)
Yes - but all of the above statutes cover activity that if one is engaged in is arguably criminal - and the LEO is informing you that the law is being broken and giving an opportunity for the individual to cease doing so. It does not mean that if a cop just shouts out an order at random that one has to obey it simply because the officer feels like going on a power trip on that particular day. People need to be aware of their rights and responsibilities as well of what the police can and cannot do. Your inital statement that one must obey a LEO was misleading.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
You must obey the command of a police officer once he has declared to you that he is a police officer.
You want to ignore a command of a Police officer....... go ahead but a Police officer has the full weight of the law behind him when it comes to being obeyed... if he didn't he coud not function properly as a police officer, especially when there are people out there thinking they can ignore commands from the police.......
Sighhh....

If you really believe what you just posted - then maybe you are beyond help.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
What disgusts me is your apparent inability to comprehend what you read. I said it is not against the law to not follow a police officer's command if you are not violating the law. This is a fact. However it may not be advisable. What does the have to do with my background. You can believe whatever you like but I have no reason to lie about my background.

Please put me ignore or simply do not reply to my posts. You are simply to emotionally unbalanced fir my tastes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I am forever convinced that your "Ghanaian" or "Black but not African American" persona is a figment of your rather fertile but twisted imagination. Otherwise you would understand how precarious it is to be a BLACK person - of whatever ethnicity - in this country, especially when encountering a police officer.

I teach my huge, intimidating but teddy-bearish Black children that, when confronted by a police officer, not to do or say things that antagonize said cops - and this includes quietly asserting their Constitutional rights - or it could cost their health or even their lives.

I do that because I am what you always claim doesn't exist - a responsible, law-abiding, Black father who wants to see my children live to see their children and their children's children.

I don't think you've ever lived in a place where an errant word to a police officer might result in your azz getting a down-home butt-whooping.

Try talking back to a cop in Philadelphia or New York and see how far you get. You talk all this Republican/right-wing/pseudolibertarian mumbo-jumbo.

I talk reality and survival.

So yes, I do teach my kids to obey police officers AT ALL TIMES.

Not doing so could result in an Amadou Diallo moment. You know.......the AFRICAN who was killed by the NYPD.

If you were an actual Black man living in America, you would know this.

You disgust me.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Did either YOU or Geero READ my post?? sheesh! I actually said that you SHOULD obey the police officer.... but just because you SHOULD doesn't mean you HAVE to. It's not the law! And if something happens to someone because they didn't follow police orders, and they were in the right to do so, the police will be held accountable... as has been done in many a court case all over the country. But each person has to decide which is more important to them, their physical well being or their liberties. I tell my sons (which you would know if you had read my post) that they should ALWAYS do what a police officer tells them no matter what, and we'll sort it out later. Better safe and in jail, then dead or worse.
They don't read, bringin their own facts and then launch personal attacks when cornered.

It really is getting tiresome.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01;24057390[B
]Given that many cops are hired based on connections rather than qualifications I lack confidence in the average cops abilities.
Another thing your best cops won't be working dispatch or 911.[/b]
lastly they tend to follow a checklist. Thats all well in good as long as everything goes according to the scrypt. It seldom does.
I call 911 I have an intruder.
911: Hide in your closet
me: Why its my house and I am armned?
911: hide in your closet and wait an estimated 15 to 20 minutes for the police to arrive.
Me: 3 minutes and the intruder is in my room, in 3.5 in the closet with me.
911: can you hide under a pile of clothes or something?
Me: Bang Bang
911: what was that noise?
Me: My 1911 double tapping a scum bag
Re: the bold, I agree with the first sentence. In re: the second, it was pointed out in one of the arly threads that the dispatcher may have been an injured cop on "desk duty".

However, I doubt if the 911 dispatcher would tell someone to hide in a closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Zimmerman was not "ordred" by the dispatcher to stop following Trayvon ~ he was told that he "did not have to" follow him, and that is a humongous difference. The dispatcher didn't envision the need to make that order, which could have ended a whole lot differently.

I consider the tragedy to be a freakish and unfortunate ACCIDENT. Life is different in gated communities. Hell, I don't live in one, but we're very mindful in our culdesac. Whenever we notice someone hanging around who we know doesn't live here, and appears suspicious, we make it obvious that we're aware of him/her.

I don't see anything wrong with Zimmerman driving around and observing someone suspicious. I do think he was an idiot for getting out of the car, and this was his mistake. Trayvon noticed someone following him, which will make anyone very uneasy, but I think he was an idiot for turning back to pounce on him. During the attack Zimmerman had his weapon and used it. ANYBODY with a weapon will use it to defend himself.

I agree with Tinman01.
Yeah, an accident, like calling the wrong number or something. No biggie.

Do you go and shoot people on your cul-de-sac who look suspicious? I mean, this was a complex of 200 or so homes, with probably about 300-400 people living there. If 10% of them have guests at any one time, that's 30-40 extra people around. It's not a cul -de-sac with six houses. It's also about 50% black, so a black teen guest should not be particularly suspicious.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What disgusts me is your apparent inability to comprehend what you read. I said it is not against the law to not follow a police officer's command if you are not violating the law. This is a fact. However it may not be advisable. What does the have to do with my background. You can believe whatever you like but I have no reason to lie about my background.

Please put me ignore or simply do not reply to my posts. You are simply to emotionally unbalanced fir my tastes.
You have the audacity to call another person emotionally unbalanced? I've stopped reading your irrational self-hating screeds because they're so incredibly idiotic.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
I wasn't having a go at you....... i know you said you should obey a police officers orders but in the USA as in the UK if you disobey a police officers orders you can be arrested...... in some states here it is a criminal act not to obey a police officers orders.... the federal law is such that you can be arrested for numerous things if you disobey a police officer or even other emergency srvices in certain instances.............

Failure to obey a police officer may result in arrest under one of the following criminal offenses:
  • Disorderly Conduct(RCW 9A.84.030)
  • Failure to Disperse(RCW 9A.8A4.020)
  • Resisting Arrest(RCW 9A.76.040)
  • Interference, obstruction of any court, building, or residence(RCW 9.27.015)
  • Trespass(RCW 9A.52.070; RCW 9A.52.080)
  • Disturbing school, school activities, or meetings(RCW 28A.87.060)
Do you see how NONE of the above are "failure to obey a police officer"? They can arrest you on all sorts of things, when they want you, but arrest does not equal conviction. It is not against the law to disobey an order from a police officer, unless you are doing something illegal. You can be arrested for looking funny, but you won't be held longer than 24 hrs because that's as long as they can hold you without an actual legal cause.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, an accident, like calling the wrong number or something. No biggie.

Do you go and shoot people on your cul-de-sac who look suspicious? I mean, this was a complex of 200 or so homes, with probably about 300-400 people living there. If 10% of them have guests at any one time, that's 30-40 extra people around. It's not a cul -de-sac with six houses. It's also about 50% black, so a black teen guest should not be particularly suspicious.
Zimmerman did not shoot him for looking for suspicious ~ he shot Trayvon for attacking him! He took his gun in case he needed it, and it got used.

If I saw something in my culdesac that looked suspicious, I would not likely go into the car to follow ~ but I just might, depending on what was going on, to give cops a better lead on where that person disappeared to. And hell, yes, I would grab my gun first, I'd be stupid not to. Taking on surveillance in this manner means putting oneself in harm's way, and it'd be stupid to not take precautions.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************
I do have to question WHY there are so many break-ins in a gated community.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 04-27-2012 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Do you see how NONE of the above are "failure to obey a police officer"? They can arrest you on all sorts of things, when they want you, but arrest does not equal conviction. It is not against the law to disobey an order from a police officer, unless you are doing something illegal. You can be arrested for looking funny, but you won't be held longer than 24 hrs because that's as long as they can hold you without an actual legal cause.
The first part of the sentence reads:

In other words, if you fail to obey a police officer, you may get arrested for one of the bulleted offenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies