Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Black federal judges, inspired by racial “solidarity” and “conditioned” in life to sympathize with other blacks, side with African-Americans filing discrimination cases in significantly higher percentages than white judges, according to a first-of-its-kind study.

The California State University, Northridge study of 516 discrimination cases in federal courts over eight years found that black federal judges side with black claimants 32.9 percent of the time. For white judges it was 20.6 percent.

But when the study looked at how black and white judges ruled on discrimination claims made by "non-black claimants," there wasn't any difference.

“The results indicate that African American judges are more likely than white judges to rule in favor of a claimant," said study author Jason Morin in the authoritative American Politics Research. "Findings suggest that African American judges are most likely to rule in favor of claimants and that they are conditioned by the presence of racial cues,” he added
I don't think anyone should be terribly surprised at these findings. I think what's more amazing is that California State University was able to overcome any sort of politically correct opposition it may have encountered to actually study this.

8-year study: Black federal judges 'conditioned' to go easy on fellow blacks | WashingtonExaminer.com

(As an aside, I have sometimes referred to Loyalty To The Race™ right here on this forum to describe the propensity of black American's to defend Barack Obama at every turn, and it seems there is actually some credence to my assertion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Flip the coin and the article could headline "White Judges Discriminate against Black Claimants".

Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Flip the coin and the article could headline "White Judges Discriminate against Black Claimants".
But that's not what the study found, so it would be a lie.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
But that's not what the study finds.
I guess it depends on which side of the coin you are looking at. The writer of the very short article looked at the results and drew his own conclusion the way he wanted to read it. This is another fail thread based on the information on your link. By the way you can shop for judges to get a favorable ruling...bet you never heard about that.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I guess it depends on which side of the coin you are looking at. The writer of the very short article looked at the results and drew his own conclusion the way he wanted to read it. This is another fail thread based on the information on your link. By the way you can shop for judges to get a favorable ruling...bet you never heard about that.
If you have a problem with the study, I'd recommend contacting California State University.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 AM

So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a link to the actual study. It would be nice if the Examiner had provided that for us to peruse.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Be nice to get a link to the study.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't think anyone should be terribly surprised at these findings. I think what's more amazing is that California State University was able to overcome any sort of politically correct opposition it may have encountered to actually study this.

8-year study: Black federal judges 'conditioned' to go easy on fellow blacks | WashingtonExaminer.com

(As an aside, I have sometimes referred to Loyalty To The Race™ right here on this forum to describe the propensity of black American's to defend Barack Obama at every turn, and it seems there is actually some credence to my assertion.)
Hmm...

Seeing how the majority of judges are white, that would mean black people are being screwed by the system.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Here we go...a little closer to finding the actual study:

The Voting Behavior of Minority Judges in the U.S. Courts of Appeals

Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Hmm...

Seeing how the majority of judges are white, that would mean black people are being screwed by the system.
No. That's not what it means necessarily. Unfortunately, without the full study text, its hard to know the detailed findings. But I think you're reaching here based on the abstract of the study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies