Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

So the UK does not want to pay healthcare for non UK residents!
It is not fair to make taxpayers pay for the Expensive healthcare. And they have paid only 35million in 8 years for the healthcare to foreigners WOW! that is way less than we are made to pay for undocumented non residents not even here on visitor visas.
And they are worried that People getting off the plane could get FREE healthcare without ever having paid into the system!
Oh and they get 150 cases a year of Pregnant passengers coming through Gatwick Airport for maternity care Ha only 150 a year but at least they have visitor visas
They say the system is to complex, and generous don't they want to model our healthcare after this system?
How dare they not want have their taxpayers pay and give FREE healthcare to foreigners!
Don't they know it is their right to have free healthcare and how great they are for making it a WORLD SERVICE!!!!

Sir Andrew said it was not for doctors to 'act as an arm of the immigration service' and warned of 'clear and substantial risks of abuse in such a lax system'.
He added: 'The present situation is outrageous. Everyone knows the pressure the NHS is under and its ever increasing cost to the taxpayer.
'To allow such easy and potentially hugely-expensive access without any entitlement must be stopped at once, otherwise the NHS risks becoming the World Health Service.'

NHS tourism: Health system open to abuse from foreigners and risks becoming 'world health service', campaigners warn | Mail Online

And in another article linked to this one GET THIS:
Doctors want to Back DEMANDS to DENY NHS treatment for SMOKERS and the OBESE! YIKES!
How can this be? And if you think this is not coming here after the GOV gets control you are nuts!

More than half of doctors across the UK have backed controversial measures to withhold treatment to smokers and the obese.

He said: 'This might appear to be only a slim majority of doctors in favor of limiting treatment to some patients who fail to look after themselves, but it represents a tectonic shift for a profession that has always sought to provide free healthcare from the cradle to the grave.'

Read more: No treatment for smokers or the obese: Doctors back measures to deny procedures for those with unhealthier lifestyles | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times
I was going to comment but then I realised it was the Daily Fail, who never let the facts get in the way of a good story. You post away all that Daily Mail rubbish fella.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I was going to comment but then I realised it was the Daily Fail, who never let the facts get in the way of a good story. You post away all that Daily Mail rubbish fella.
He's right. I have to say that in the UK the 'Mail isn't exactly renowned for it's non-sensationalist and even handed reporting.

If you read it in the 'Mail it's always best to check other sources for further information. I trust their reporting about as far as i could throw my house.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

And in another article linked to this one GET THIS:
Doctors want to Back DEMANDS to DENY NHS treatment for SMOKERS and the OBESE! YIKES!
How can this be? And if you think this is not coming here after the GOV gets control you are nuts!

More than half of doctors across the UK have backed controversial measures to withhold treatment to smokers and the obese.

He said: 'This might appear to be only a slim majority of doctors in favor of limiting treatment to some patients who fail to look after themselves, but it represents a tectonic shift for a profession that has always sought to provide free healthcare from the cradle to the grave.'

Read more: No treatment for smokers or the obese: Doctors back measures to deny procedures for those with unhealthier lifestyles | Mail Online
Apparently, British doctors are simpletons as they obviously haven't thought this through. If they successfully deny healthcare to those who don't take care of their health, what's the end result? They'll end up only treating the "healthy."

And that means....they'll soon be out of job.

Oh...and don't laugh because it's "just" the Mail. That's already been proposed here too.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM

Actually I will answer this.

First;y last year we spent over £105 Billion on the NHS which is 105,000 million pounds, of which 35 were stolen by terrible foriegners coming here and stealing our free health services. At the bottom of the story it mentions that the current situation is under review and in future people visiting Britain may well be asked to provide Identity such as an NHS Card with an NHS Number on it or face paying for their treatment. Which is fair enough. Have the review and change the system

I hope that none of those foriegners coming in to Britain were obese or smoked as according to the Daily Mail we are going to stop treating such people which is news to me. If you scrutinise the story further though it's not Government policy it is a survey by doctors who themselves think people who smoke and are obese should have some non emergency treatments withdrawn. This would be massively unpopular with the electorate and no political party is going to introduce such a policy unless they fancy losing the next election.

Smoking is actually declining in the UK (it's banned virually every where now), and smokers actually cost less in terms of taxes as firstly they pay a massive amount of taxes on each packet of cigarettes and secondly they tend to die younger meaning they don't drain pension and welfare resources. Perhaps the Chancellor will been ecouraging us all to smoke soon. In terms of the obese the Government has recently taxed hot takeway foods such as pasties, sausage rolls and pies, which the Daily Mail ran a campaign against, probably under the headline 'Save Our Saviouries' - LMAO

The Daily Mail only prints basically two types of stories, those about the whole nation going to hell in a hand cart and those about rich royal and celebrities from 'TOWIE' or the X Factor. It's like 'Hello Magazine' with a special section devoted to the decline of the nation, our terrible weather, our corrupt politicians or anything else we can grumble about. The British national past time being grumbling. The Mail never lets the facts get in the way of a story though, and to be honest I wouldn't even believe the sports section in that particular paper.

Yours sincerly

Disgusted of Royal Tonbridge Wells

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-30-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh...and don't laugh because it's "just" the Mail. That's already been proposed here too.
Have to admit it's an idea that's been proposed here too but thankfully not by any reputable political parties/organisations or the NHS. Somebody will always propose something and if they have even the vaguest connection to what they're talking about someone will usually take what they hear as being sensible and/or a 'fact'.

It isn't that the 'Mail always print rubbish, it's the way they sensationalise it that is the problem most people here have with it. Read it and check it is what those who "don't believe everything they're told" tend to do.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

It isn't that the 'Mail always print rubbish, it's the way they sensationalise it that is the problem most people here have with it. Read it and check it is what those who "don't believe everything they're told" tend to do.

American's simply don't understand Fleet Street.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Actually I will answer this.

First;y last year we spent over £105 Billion on the NHS which is 105,000 million pounds, of which 35 were stolen by terrible foriegners coming here and stealing our free health services. At the bottom of the story it mentions that the current situation is under review and in future people visiting Britain may well be asked to provide Identity such as an NHS Card with an NHS Number on it or face paying for their treatment. Which is fair enough. Have the review and change the system

I hope that none of those foriegners coming in to Britain were obese or smoked as according to the Daily Mail we are going to stop treating such people which is news to me. If you scrutinise the story further though it's not Government policy it is a survey by doctors who themselves think people who smoke and are obese should have some non emergency treatments withdrawn. This would be massively unpopular with the electorate and no political party is going to introduce such a policy unless they fancy losing the next election.

Smoking is actually declining in the UK (it's banned virually every where now), and smokers actually cost less in terms of taxes as firstly they pay a massive amount of taxes on each packet of cigarettes and secondly they tend to die younger meaning they don't drain pension and welfare resources. Perhaps the Chancellor will been ecouraging us all to smoke soon. In terms of the obese the Government has recently taxed hot takeway foods such as pasties, sausage rolls and pies, which the Daily Mail ran a campaign against, probably under the headline 'Save Our Saviouries' - LMAO

The Daily Mail only prints basically two types of stories, those about the whole nation going to hell in a hand cart and those about rich royal and celebrities from 'TOWIE' or the X Factor. It's like 'Hello Magazine' with a special section devoted to the decline of the nation, our terrible weather, our corrupt politicians or anything else we can grumble about. The British national past time being grumbling. The Mail never lets the facts get in the way of a story though, and to be honest I wouldn't even believe the sports section in that particular paper.

Yours sincerly

Disgusted of Royal Tonbridge Wells

From the article:

"Last year, Simon Burns revealed that health tourists have taken at least £35million of free treatment over the last eight years."

I make that £4.375 million a year or 0.0000416% of annual expenditure (per your figures).

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
From the article:

"Last year, Simon Burns revealed that health tourists have taken at least £35million of free treatment over the last eight years."

I make that £4.375 million a year or 0.0000416% of annual expenditure (per your figures).
Thanks for the correction, it's even less of a problem then. I have to admit I usually just skim read Daily Mail stories - LOL.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Thanks for the correction, it's even less of a problem then. I have to admit I usually just skim read Daily Mail stories - LOL.
Thanks for the rep and just to put the numbers a bit more in perspective.

In 2011 there were 30,678,000 visitors to the UK and who spent, on average, £584 pounds per person. That means that each visitor is costing the NHS £0.1426.

Inbound Tourism Facts : VisitBritain Corporate site

But travelers also pay airport taxes when they leave the UK and which range from £13 to £92. So any cost to the NHS is more than covered by the taxes that are being paid.

Air Passenger Duty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, I know it is boring stuff. But, given that the Daily Mail cannot be expected to print a complete and balanced story, I though it worth posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies