Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

I don't visit national parks and have red hair. Why isn't there some commission studying why ginger's don't go to national parks??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, it is lifestyle. I love going to the park, and know plenty of black people who enjoy the same. I also attended camp most summers when I was a child. Different strokes.
And hopefully you are, or will, pass down this tradition to your own children, neices, nephews, etc... .

There are outreaches for women to get involved in the outdoors through various programs like Becoming an Outdoors Woman. Again, this is a gender outreach, not one based upon race. What the racial configuration of this is comprised of I suspect has much to do again with location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't visit national parks and have red hair. Why isn't there some commission studying why ginger's don't go to national parks??
Hint: Are you a federally recognized minority or special interest voting block?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is an old article but it is very interesting. Basically, it talks about the fact that very few Blacks visit National Parks. If there is one thing I love about this country is our National Parks and it is a shame that African Americans are not taking advantage of these places

A couple weeks ago, I drove from Des Moines, Iowa to Deadwood, South Dakota, I drove for 9 hours and did not see one black person between here and there. I stopped at Badlands NP and I have to say, the place is spectacular! I ended up driving on to Mount Rushmore and that was an amazing experience

How can we make sure that our African American brothers start taking advantage of some of the most beautiful things this country has to offer??

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/sc...pagewanted=all
How can we make sure? What if they don't want to? What if they don't have the money to drive around and look at rocks? What if they don't like hiking or camping? I flew over the grand canyon once and looked at it. I don't feel like driving over there and crawling into it though. Are you proposing that folks are forced to go see the beauty you see and seem to think everyone does? Some think their backyard is beautiful and the grand canyon is a big hole in the ground. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is an old article but it is very interesting. Basically, it talks about the fact that very few Blacks visit National Parks. If there is one thing I love about this country is our National Parks and it is a shame that African Americans are not taking advantage of these places

A couple weeks ago, I drove from Des Moines, Iowa to Deadwood, South Dakota, I drove for 9 hours and did not see one black person between here and there. I stopped at Badlands NP and I have to say, the place is spectacular! I ended up driving on to Mount Rushmore and that was an amazing experience

How can we make sure that our African American brothers start taking advantage of some of the most beautiful things this country has to offer??

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/sc...pagewanted=all
There is your first problem. There is only about 10 black people who live in that area.

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...black folks don't care about certain outdoor activities for the most part. Camping? Nope. Hunting? Mildly so...rural blacks hunt all the time. Fishing? We love fishing just as much as any white person if not more. Hiking? Depends. But we're generally not the type to bother with areas that we have no business being in....like where dangerous animals are for example. LOL We already find normal life to be adventurous enough without a Grizzly Bear or Wild Boar on our trail.

So it does have a little to do with race, but race isn't the whole story. We just don't care to rough it in general. Again, there are exceptions, but i'm pretty much right for the most part.

Besides, as long as black folks aren't complaining about it, there is no sense in making a big issue of it. From anecdotal experience, i can say that most black folks don't think we're missing anything. Personally, rather than spend a boatload of money to go to Yellowstone on vacation, i'd spend that same money going to Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, San Francisco, or Santa Barbara. Anything to get next to a great piece of fish, a steak, and a glass of wine. They don't have that stuff at national parks.
And.....the entire black race has spoken. So shall it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And hopefully you are, or will, pass down this tradition to your own children, neices, nephews, etc... .

There are outreaches for women to get involved in the outdoors through various programs like Becoming an Outdoors Woman. Again, this is a gender outreach, not one based upon race. What the racial configuration of this is comprised of I suspect has much to do again with location.

Hint: Are you a federally recognized minority or special interest voting block?
Well if you call someone a ginger at school your a bully nowdays so they are making progress. lol

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Ok since everyone is dancing around the damn thing.

Of course its cultural.

Backwoods= White Rasict Redneck perception.

Whether true or not it's there.

Deliverance and such. *Que the dueling banjos*

"You gotta purddy mouth boy"

Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
^^^ I hope this was pure sarcasm.
C'mon, gal......seriously?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well i'm sure that Italian and Arab Americans would be thrilled with that. You should propose it.
I already have. I hear both groups that you mentioned are thrilled!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Growing up half black in a black neighborhood, there were certain things blacks were NOT SUPPOSE to do...I never did care for the hoodlums I lived around or in my own family, so the opinions of Tyrone and Rashonda never mattered to me.

Well, you were NOT SUPPOSE to be interested in certain sports that were considered "white" (lacrosse, hockey, NASCAR, valley ball) "white" music was to be avoided at all cost (rock, metal, electronic music...and the fact that blacks invented rock and roll fell on deaf ears) "White" food was to be avoided (basically anything that looked healthy) and other "white" activities were to be shunned: like hiking, backpacking, reading for the joy of reading, etc.

So, the reason blacks generally don't like national parks is because the black culture and its fascist enforcers in the "black community" are opposed to it on the grounds that it's "too white."

This, like bigger things such as getting an education and taking care of one's family, will only change after black culture itself changes and stops being based on segregation, racism, and criminal behavior...but I never bought into the modern black culture of crime and low class behavior, so indeed, I do enjoy visiting Olympic National Park and the Issaquah highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies