Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Remember those nerds back in high school- the little weasels that always wanted to be class president- head of this and leader at that- Us cool guys never bothered with this cheezey stuff..we went on to have tons of fun- lots of sex- drugs and rock and roll- We did what we pleased ---The nerds became politicians - laywers...bank managers...and even presidents..These people were not the sharpest tools in the shed- we the cool ones were...so to put it bluntly it was our fault- cos the stupid people took over and we the smart boomers let it happen---- On behalf of all boomers who had to much fun and avoided our social tasks....We apologize- for every idiot we allowed to take a position of power...sorry about that.

Yeah, Two words: Microsoft and Apple.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I didn't get a degree in business. I was a police officer. I went to the academy in Miami for 22 weeks, graduated, and put in 20 years.

Like I said previously, everyone doesn't need to go to college, there are options. My brother owns his own business, makes a pretty good living at it, and never went to college. It was tough starting out, and it has been tough during the financial meltdown, but he's still plugging away.

It's your choice, you have a future ahead of you, go for it. Nobody wins right out of the gate.
The problem with many young people today is that they simply aren't mentally prepared to endure any level of hardship to get what they want.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The problem with many young people today is that they simply aren't mentally prepared to endure any level of hardship to get what they want.

Everyone doesn't need 4+ years of college to be successful.

My wife and I lived in an efficiency with our firstborn till I got my head out of my arse and went into the police academy. Our kitchen consisted of a hotplate and one of those little boat fridges.

We both had jobs, we didn't have much, still don't, and we consider ourselves successful. Raising decent human beings is my idea of success. It's all a matter of what you value. (hint--it's not what you can buy).

It's not a mystery.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Some are simply delusional. I don't think there's any question that today's generation tends to feel more entitled than those in the past, but the idea that things are "just as good when I was a lad" is willfull ignorance and/or wishful thinking. In this day and age, a postion of an airplane mechanic will probably receive triple the amount of applications than they did 30 years ago along with greater experience and academic requirements. Even some of the most basic entry-level positions with similar requirements have hundreds of applications competing for a few slots.

Hey a relative of mine who supervises a bus transportation company recently told me about how he has applications on his desk that come from the floor up to his knees with people who have qualifications that include MBAs and other advanced degrees just so they could drive a bus.

This isn't daddy's Wonder Years, the US virtually produces nothing in this day and age, and instead of competing with other US businesses, we are now competing with the other half of the world who wants, or feels entitled to just as much as those in this country feel entitled to. The pool is bigger, but there's less water for everyone to swim in.

Overall, it seems like the Millenials aren't building on what the boomers created, which is what past generations naturally used to do; they're just competing with them now given the current situation. Boomers are living longer, working longer and feel entitled to the same things the kids up and coming today want. It wasn't always that way though as some seem to be suggesting.
I couldn't agree more. They are delusional and they don't understand economics. Or better yet, can't rationalize our current economic situation. It's pretty sad to see. There is a clear cut divide between the generations. I see it at my places of work everyday.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Remember those nerds back in high school- the little weasels that always wanted to be class president- head of this and leader at that- Us cool guys never bothered with this cheezey stuff..we went on to have tons of fun- lots of sex- drugs and rock and roll- We did what we pleased ---The nerds became politicians - laywers...bank managers...and even presidents..These people were not the sharpest tools in the shed- we the cool ones were...so to put it bluntly it was our fault- cos the stupid people took over and we the smart boomers let it happen---- On behalf of all boomers who had to much fun and avoided our social tasks....We apologize- for every idiot we allowed to take a position of power...sorry about that.
Speak for yourself.

Most of us did NOT fry our brains on acid and party 24/7. We gave back to society and we were working hard paying the bills. That continues, BTW. Apparently you were too stoned to notice.

And I don't know any Boomers who feel like failures. (Well, maybe the guys who DID fry their brains but I doubt they notice much.) Most of us feel like survivors.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-09-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

464 posts, read 479,348 times
LOL Baby Boomers? The Millenials? Whiners and Crybabies

Thank goodness I'm part of the generation X. We are just trying to make it through this life and try to come out a little bit ahead of the game in the end. We got work to do. Move it or Lose it!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I work with a bunch of meat packers who leave each day with blood on their boots and clothes. Many of our crew is made up of Millenials.

What brush are you painting with?
The brush that says that many in your generation simply aren't willing to work in those type of jobs. Your individual situation doesn't speak for your entire generation. It's just that; your situation.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

491 posts, read 472,092 times
Quote:
The brush that says that many in your generation simply aren't willing to work in those type of jobs. Your individual situation doesn't speak for your entire generation. It's just that; your situation.
Do you have facts/data to back this up?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
They tend to be the exception than the rule.

There are a sizable number or younger Americans who look down their noses at blue collar or manual labor of any kind.
Younger Americans? You mean Americans in general?? Who do you think they learned that from?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
... That said, it is much, much worse for millennials today trying to start their own lives and many have resorted to living with their parents well into their twenties. When a college degree only means an $8 hour job something is dreadfully wrong. T
Yes, something is dreadfully wrong. And it's that we have too many kids in college learning useless stuff. They have no skills so they can't even do manual labor.

If you are earning only $8 per hour, you probably have some kind of sissy job where you don't get your hands dirty. I pay my gardener $15 per hour and he has no education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies