Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
America is a shell of it former self....I don't blame the baby boomers anymore....It's much deeper than that. I don't believe 85% of the baby boomer generations working class have/had any idea about what the seeds of cronyism that were planted over the last 100 years would bear.

I don't think anybody, relatively, saw this coming 50 years down the road.
You sound like my father, b. 1914, circa 1960. Sorry.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You sound like my father, b. 1914, circa 1960. Sorry.
Sounds like your dad was onto something.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM

The world is still turning on its axis, 50+ years later. People are still saying the same things.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Hey, you whining millenials, look at this:

30-Year Mortgage Rates At Record Low 3.79 Percent : NPR

Now look at the rates in the 1980s, when some of us older boomers were buying our first home:

Mortgage (ARM) Indexes: Prime Rate: Historical Data

H***, the last time they were lower than today was April, 1956.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Hey, you whining millenials, look at this:

30-Year Mortgage Rates At Record Low 3.79 Percent : NPR

Now look at the rates in the 1980s, when some of us older boomers were buying our first home:

Mortgage (ARM) Indexes: Prime Rate: Historical Data

H***, the last time they were lower than today was April, 1956.
You just don't get it.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
So getting away from the boom bash for a minute, let me say something positive about the millenials. They have damn good music. It's so bright and joyful (not talking about Gaga at al but the more obscure stuff.) My generation's music was so dark and depressing. If the music is any indication, the kids are bright and happy ... real go-getters. I think the kids are going to be alright.
Me too.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Unfortunately, I think you may be right. My parents are Boomers and do not fit the mold but it's undeniable that Boomers in power allowed and probably sped up the disintegration of our country.
Not possible.

You're incredibly weak in your math skills. The earliest Boomer would have been 35 and eligible to run for the senate or presidency in 1981.

Your country was already history by then.

You still had a chance to change things, but all power in the US is vested in the Bureaucracy. It is the Bureaucracy to makes policies and interprets the laws that are enacted by Congress (and paid for by unions, corporations, political action committees, special interest groups, think tanks and industry lobbyists).

So a policy-making bureaucrat that had been flying a desk for 30 years by 1995 was graduated from university when?

And born when? Before the Boomer Era.

Granted, the Boomers did nothing to change the policies that put you on the path to self-destruction, but it was not they who got the ball rolling.

What you don't understand, is that all roads lead to the same dead end.

Moral High Road: In the 1950s-1980s, invest heavily in 3rd World States; develop their infrastructure; help them extract and process natural resources; insist that US Corporations pay the taxes levied by the host State; stabilize their governments; provide guidance on social, economic and political issues. Those countries develop and compete against you, and none of this exists......

Global competition would have kept downward pressure on wages and salaries and no one in the US would be making $48/hour working in a union shop, or even $38/hour, or even $28/hour. It would also have put upward pressure on the prices of all goods (and services).

Satanic Evil Road: In the 1950s-1980s, drop napalm; murder democratically elected heads-of-State in cold-blood; support puppet dictators; extract the natural resources and sell them for massive profits sharing none of the profits with the host State; oppress the people economically and force those countries to take on massive loans to build the infrastructure so that you can steal their resources and wealth more efficiently; allow your corporations to fraudulently devalue their assets below market value and real value to avoid paying royalties and taxes to the host State.

You have no global competition and so your wags and salaries sky-rocket to ridiculous and obscene levels, but then.....along comes BRIC (Brasil, Russia, India & China) who take the High Moral Road and develop the very countries that you oppressed. Now you have global competition, and your wages and salaries are stagnating or declining and you are losing jobs and increased demand and consumption is driving up the prices of goods (and services) and that will continue until there is a global equilibrium.

See?

No matter what happens, you arrive at the exact same end-point.

Whatever wages/salaries should have been, well, that's where they're going to be, and you cannot do anything about it (except rail against the system).

Quote:
The Strauss-Howe generational theory is really interesting stuff....
It's incredibly sloppy and cobbled together with a crow-bar.

Quote:
... but many of us have bigger, more revolutionary plans.
Oh yeah? Are you going to act on those "revolutionary plans" before or after the US burns down, falls over and sinks into a swamp?

Pointing out the obvious...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
A person makes $10 an hour. That's $400 weekly. After taxes in most states that's about $292. If it costs $70 to fill up each week that's nearly 25% of their income. 23% to be exact.

So in this scenario. The take home pay is $292. Subtract $70 and that leaves you with $222. Have a $600 rent payment? Subtract $150. That leaves you with $72. Need food and groceries? Well that's probably your remaining $72.

You haven't even calculated in insurance, unexpected expenses, or any luxuries.

That's what many Young Americans are facing these days even after working a full 40 hour work week.
Well, my ass bleeds for you.

You people are just plain pathetic and weak. It makes me want to pray for a giant >X15 Class Solar Flare with a massive proton storm to send the US back into the Stone Age so Natural Selection can work its Majik.

You need to deflate your big heads and swallow a bit of pride. $600/month rent? Find a cheaper place. Do what Billions of people on Earth do and have done, and that is share living space with others. Use public transport, or move closer to work so you don't need a car.

When I left Romania to come back to the US to go to university, I got a job at the GAP for $10.25/hour. I rode the bus. I shared an apartment with 2 other people. We didn't have cable. We didn't have internet. We didn't have cell-phones. And I didn't use Student Loans to pay for tuition.

And I survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you lost the auto industry then how does it still exist???
It's just an expression, but to answer the question, for every auto plant that exists now, there were 8 in the past. We had 14 auto plants here in the Cincinnati area. Everyone of them is gone. Sure, Fisher Body did not make cars, but they did make the frames for cars. We aren't just talking about assembly-line facilities. We're talking the entire auto infrastructure, everything from transmission plants, to engine plants, to body plants to tires to parts, windows, interior, molding, frames, batteries, ignition systems, etc etc etc.

Amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
We aren't whining. We are telling you how things have changed and that it is not only us, but you that needs to understand those changes and how to respond to them.
But nothing has changed, except that your ego-heads are over-inflated. You have outrageously unreal expectations. You erroneously believe that luxuries and amenities are necessities of life.

And that's why things are difficult for you: because you make things way harder than they have to be.

In a heartbeat I could step into anyone of your shoes and do 1000x better than you're doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
It will be better, but in order for it to be better, the older generation must understand the new paradigm that exists.
No, it will not be better, and if the "new paradigm" is "I'm entitled to have a cell-phone and cable and Starsux and McDonald's and someone better cough up the money so I can have it" then you'll end up worse off than any 3rd World State.

Pragmatically...

Mircea

Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
The world is still turning on its axis, 50+ years later. People are still saying the same things.
the world will still turn on it's axis when it's unpopulated too...

In contrast to your original response to me...My grandfather didn't say the same things...He achieved self-actualization and didn't mortgage every last drop of his blood to do so.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
I've seen lots of millenials these days get handed a new car on a silver platter with just a high school education or less. Back in my day (I'm not a boomer or millenial), only the rich kids were given a car. The rest had to work for one, and usually all they were able to afford after working for one was an old clunker. Most families had just one car, at least if the mother didn't work. A teen would usually have to borrow the family car, and only if they behaved, and with lots of restrictions on that priveledge.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
the world will still turn on it's axis when it's unpopulated too...

In contrast to your original response to me...My grandfather didn't say the same things...He achieved self-actualization and didn't mortgage every last drop of his blood to do so.
Watch your insults, bub! My father did the same. He just liked to complain about the country "going to hell in a handbasket".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies