Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
WOW! I always knew John Lennon was a f'ing skank but never had the b*lls to say it in public! Thanks!

Yes, very promiscious.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Yes, very promiscious.
Yeah, but I think he could spell.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy.
Oh yes! Incredibly sexy!!!!!

Lady smoker with hole in her neck (CDC commercial) - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Smoking bans are one of the few things government has ever done right. They also save many lives, and untold health care costs that would have been needed to treat victims of secondary smoke.

Before smoking bans became popular, we often ate sandwiches in the trailer when camper-traveling, rather than get a migraine and cancer exposure in a smoke-filled eating establishment. We had the money to spend, and the will to eat out, and only narcissistic smokers stopped us from helping those local economies.

The vast majority of establishments that went no smoking had their revenues soar, as people would continue to pay to eat, or leave and open a booth for another active customer--rather than have the place filled with smokers who bought one cup of coffee and tied up the booths for hours.

People don't have the right to hurt OTHERS. If I had the habit/addiction of wanting to spray industrial-strength RAID constantly whenever I went into a public place, I'd rightfully be thrown out, if not arrested. Yet smoking amounts to the same thing: tobacco contains so many toxic pesticides that you can actually soak the butts and create a strong, workable pesticide from the remaining solution.

Even worse, actually burning the tobacco and inhaling it into your lungs? Just go ahead and suck down the RAID; you might get lucky and not have to face the months or years of agony thanks to lung and other cancers.

Well now we finally know why the economy is soaring, LOL.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yep, about as sexy as my former roommate's ileostomy bag, after they removed her colon because she destroyed it eating garbage fast food.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Although I am against smoking bans(I think it should be up to the operator/owner) I think it is much better not having a few smokers stink the place up for everyone.

A good reason for bans? Oh, a few smokers encroach on the rights of a clear majority.

Can't go to a restaurant for a couple hours to have a nice meal without smoking? Stay home and smoke all you want.

I do not think men look macho or women sexy because they are smoking.

Yes, I am an ex-smoker and I rarely smoked when I went to a restaurant.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Steering clear of the controversy, I will say the added benefit of the ban is not having to smell the stench of stale cigarettes in bars and coffee shops.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
I'm def Ok with banning smoking in any indoor public place; private clubs are a different scene.

Secondhand smoke IS nasty. If there a way to capture ALL of that smoke; they maybe more places for people age 18 or older should be allowed for smokers. Smoking in a closed area with kids IS child abuse IMHO.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If you watch films that predate the 90's, you can see that smoking was virtually allowed anyplace in America: planes, restaurants, bars, public buildings, offices, etc. Now this is almost impossible to find, except for some particular places. I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy. What do you think? If America doesn't have socialized healthcare, why should the Government (stateside, county, local) prevent its citziens to smoke wherever they want?
Do I miss the days before smoking bans? No. I just lost my grandfather to lung cancer that was caused by years and years of smoking. He was in utter misery and pain his last years. It matastisized and spread to his liver, around his heart, and his brain. As he got closer to death he revealed his greatest regret: Picking up that first cigarette.

And you think that the days of people smoking everywhere was somehow a good thing? It should be illegal to smoke anywhere, period.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not a bit. I love living in CA where the smoking bans have been in place for a long time. Even smokers don't seem to mind since it makes everything fresher and cleaner and healthier.
I'm an ex-smoker and a heavy one. I don't mind the bans at all... I think it's a good thing overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies