Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It appears they are going to let greece go under.
Why shouldn't they?

Greece is like a drunk crack-head. Cut them off. It's just that simple.

No more soup for you...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think they have to. Greece hasn't really done much to reign in spending and now the problems in Spain are too big to ignore.
Bingo. Greece did nothing. Well, that isn't quite true: Greece thumbed their noses at everyone. What the hell were they thinking? I don't know.

I agree with Citi. I think Greece is just going to let it ride, then decouple from the Euro and go back to the Drachma. They can print as much as they want. I have to believe they are under the misguided impression that they can keep Real Inflation under control. That plan is not going to work.

And seriously, Greece or Spain? Spain any day of the week.

Concurring...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why shouldn't they?

Greece is like a drunk crack-head. Cut them off. It's just that simple.

No more soup for you...

Mircea

Bingo. Greece did nothing. Well, that isn't quite true: Greece thumbed their noses at everyone. What the hell were they thinking? I don't know.

I agree with Citi. I think Greece is just going to let it ride, then decouple from the Euro and go back to the Drachma. They can print as much as they want. I have to believe they are under the misguided impression that they can keep Real Inflation under control. That plan is not going to work.

And seriously, Greece or Spain? Spain any day of the week.

Concurring...

Mircea
Oh I agree. It should have been done a while ago IMO. Yep Spain is not far behind.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Oh I agree. It should have been done a while ago IMO. Yep Spain is not far behind.

True, so now dare we try to admit how far behind we are?!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
one thing the US treasury can do that greece cannot is print more money to pay for it's debt.. indeed that does devalue the currency.. but.. comparing the US to greece is kinda apples and oranges...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't confuse the movement of money as a bank run. Singapore and the USA attract hordes of capital around the globe at the same time that capital leaves. Basically these two entities are like giant banks.

In Greece the money is going in one direction, out.
I hear ya and understand.
What concerns me is the amount of folks that are focused on "bank run" at this time.
I dare to consider that there is something fascinating called the collective consciousness. I do because I experience more intuitive leading that's on target time after time, in myself, and a few around me.

Is the news freaking folks out into greater worries about this possibility in their own nations, or are folks tuning-into their near-futures, perchance?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 PM

When the US dollar isn't the worlds currency anymore, which China and Russia are angling for, there won't be anybody to buy that debt. Then we are in a world of trouble. We either got to war or feel the pain. Those in power will choose war I'm sure. It's why we've been fighting since the dollar was pegged to oil in the seventies.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
When the US dollar isn't the worlds currency anymore, which China and Russia are angling for, there won't be anybody to buy that debt. Then we are in a world of trouble. We either got to war or feel the pain. Those in power will choose war I'm sure. It's why we've been fighting since the dollar was pegged to oil in the seventies.
Absolutely correct. Sad as it is, and it appears inevitable.
Keep printing currency as if it was Game Board Bucks and Math, being an absolute will bring the dollar down.
Many folks get it, and are hunkering down. I feel sorry for those that are partying hearty right now, and thinking it can never happen to us.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM

How many bought bonds in the hope of loading up on interest payments from Greece to fill their accounts?? Pleny I'll bet. Now they are the ones left holding the bag so to say as those bonds won't be worth zilch. Who loads ip the IMF's account???

"The main direct losses correspond to the €240bn of Greek debt in official hands (EU/IMF), to €130bn of Eurosystem’s exposure to Greece via TARGET2 and a potential loss of around €25bn for European banks. This is the cross-border claims (i.e. not matched by local liabilities) that European banks (mostly French) have on Greece’s public and non-bank private sector. These immediate losses add up to €400bn. This is a big amount but let's assume that, as several people suggested this week, these immediate/direct losses are manageable. What are the indirect consequences of a Greek exit for the rest?

The wildcard is obviously contagion to Spain or Italy? Could a Greek exit create a capital and deposit flight from Spain and Italy which becomes difficult to contain? It is admittedly true that European policymakers have tried over the past year to convince markets that Greece is a special case and its problems are rather unique. We see little evidence that their efforts have paid off."

JPMorgan Estimates Immediate Losses From Greek Exit Could Reach 400 Billion | ZeroHedge

Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
How many bought bonds in the hope of loading up on interest payments from Greece to fill their accounts?? Pleny I'll bet. Now they are the ones left holding the bag so to say as those bonds won't be worth zilch. Who loads ip the IMF's account???

"The main direct losses correspond to the €240bn of Greek debt in official hands (EU/IMF), to €130bn of Eurosystem’s exposure to Greece via TARGET2 and a potential loss of around €25bn for European banks. This is the cross-border claims (i.e. not matched by local liabilities) that European banks (mostly French) have on Greece’s public and non-bank private sector. These immediate losses add up to €400bn. This is a big amount but let's assume that, as several people suggested this week, these immediate/direct losses are manageable. What are the indirect consequences of a Greek exit for the rest?

The wildcard is obviously contagion to Spain or Italy? Could a Greek exit create a capital and deposit flight from Spain and Italy which becomes difficult to contain? It is admittedly true that European policymakers have tried over the past year to convince markets that Greece is a special case and its problems are rather unique. We see little evidence that their efforts have paid off."

JPMorgan Estimates Immediate Losses From Greek Exit Could Reach 400 Billion | ZeroHedge
I found this part was interesting:

Quote:
Perhaps the best way to understand what went wrong with the Greek adjustment program is to compare it with Iceland’s program. On Nov 3rd 2011, the IMF issued the verdict on its 3-year adjustment program for Iceland. The IMF’s verdict was that its “program for Iceland was a success” due to 4 factors:

the decision not to make taxpayers liable for bank losses.

the decision not to tighten fiscal policy during the first year of the IMF program.

preservation and even strengthening of Iceland’s welfare state during the crisis.

prudent use of capital controls. The IMF said: “capital controls were necessary and are now seen as useful addition to policy toolkit”.
I don't understand why governments are bailing out these banks with taxpayer funds. Let them go under. Don't these countries have deposit insurance?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well the cheerleaders are out in full force today.
The "polls" report a slight edge with the pro-austerity group.
Wall Street rejoiced and is on a buying spree.

And the "ship of fools" sails onward toward Utopia

European shares, euro gain as Greek fears ease - Yahoo! News
"The recovery was boosted by the publication of five Greek polls on the weekend which showed the conservative New Democracy party, a supporter the bailout plan, with a slight lead over the anti-bailout leftist SYRIZA party,.."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies