Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This is the leader we entrust with our economy - a President that could not even get ONE SINGLE MEMBER of Congress to vote for his proposed budget?

Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate - Washington Times
Here's another link:

House and Senate Unanimously Reject Obama Budgets — Or Do They? - ABC News

Quote:
Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Miss., introduced a budget amendment representing the president’s budget request; the Sessions amendment was voted down 99-0.

A similar effort from Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-SC, was rejected in the House 414-0.
Sounds awful, right? No votes from ANYONE in either the Senate or the House. Yikes!

But then, if you read further, you discover that it wasn't the Presidents budget proposal at all. Oh-so-clever Republicans kept the numbers, threw out all the specific details, and introduced what were in fact budget amendments. The Senate bill was 56 pages long. Actual budgets - you know, the ones with details? - are extremely complicated and long documents with hundreds and hundreds of pages.

In other words, anyone who had for FOR such a budget amendment would have been a total idiot. Republicans voted against it because then they could say (and other idiots could believe and regurgitate) that they voted against the President's budget. Democrats voted against the budget amendment because the bill was a nonsensical piece of trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Obama's Budget Fails to get ONE affirmative vote in Congress

Since when was the Senate 99 Republicans??? I guess this puts to rest the ******* complaints of Republicans blocking an O'Boy budget.

The legend continues....

Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Have you seen the budget - or heard of the details?
Here ya go, obama's 2013 budget.....

Shouldn't take you more than two months to go through it. (4.6MB)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ets/budget.pdf

Let us know what the king of progressive liberals dreamed up will ya?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
In other words, anyone who had for FOR such a budget amendment would have been a total idiot. Republicans voted against it because then they could say (and other idiots could believe and regurgitate) that they voted against the President's budget. Democrats voted against the budget amendment because the bill was a nonsensical piece of trash.
Exactly, this was a little parliamentary trick designed to generate exactly the headline we're seeing in this thread. Note that the Senator who introduced this didn't even vote in favor of it. That should be a giant red flag to everyone that there's more than meets the eye here.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
That's a total of three votes taken on obama's budgets, this year and last year.

Not even one vote. Amazing.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
All we ever hear from the Left is that the GOP will not compromise with Democrats. What's really at stake here is that we don't have a President who is really interested in compromise....who's not really willing to reach out to the opposition to see if he can bridge the gap. He acts like he's interested in compromise, but he's really not. It's all a facade meant for public consumption, just like everything else Barack Obama does.

Politicians like Lyndon B. Johnson.....who personally involve themselves in the daily grind of legislating in order to get what they want......are nowhere to be found. Barack Obama pretends he's Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan, but if he really wanted something he'd do better to mimic LBJ.

The problem with this is that Barack Obama doesn't actually know what he wants. He throws crap at the wall, hopes it sticks, and when it doesn't he blames Republicans. That's the man-child we have in office right now. A pure amateur.
I alwlays find myself agreeing with you. Always! The thing is that i do believe Obama knows what he wants, and go's after that agenda any way he sees fit. Right now it is getting all the votes he can muster up.
Put his opponet on ice, and drudge up things from his past, i care nothing at all about. For heavens sake, i don't care what either one of them have done in H.S. who did not do stupid things back then. That is beyond childish.
Get real, talk about the issues at hand, why the economy is down in the dumps, why businesses are shutting their doors why so many are still unemployed. Housing crisis, not showing signs of improvement. Talk about your spending habits, you said you would not do. Talk about the issues, and why have you not made things better as your Obama promised.
And why everything has doubled in price since you got elected, and yes save the excuses.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
All this proves is what we already knew: Obama isn't serious about the fiscal problems facing the country and he certainly isn't serious about submitting a budget that passes the laugh test.

Fortunately, there are millions of us out here who are quite serious about firing his incompetent a$s.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 AM

552 posts, read 738,879 times
Notice how all the right wingers ignore other posts describing why the bill had zero votes? Either they are complete idiots or really clever. This would be like me taking a note from someone editing it to say only what I want it to say and then saying, well you wrote it and I don't agree with any of it. Lol classic first grade

Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Notice how all the right wingers ignore other posts describing why the bill had zero votes? Either they are complete idiots or really clever. This would be like me taking a note from someone editing it to say only what I want it to say and then saying, well you wrote it and I don't agree with any of it. Lol classic first grade
Riddle me this boyce: Why hasn't the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a budget in OVER THREE YEARS?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
If you really want to know how biased the media is go to Google and search on budget and look at how many news outlets don't have "Obama" or "President" in the title with this story about a budget getting zero votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies