Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Why are people playing ignorant about the offensive nature of blackface? Why are non-Blacks the authority on what Blacks find offensive? Is it not enough that we tell you we are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The bigger question is....why are black people offended by blackface? Do you also hate white-faced clowns?
Lol...This is too funny to be offensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Why are people playing ignorant about the offensive nature of blackface? Why are non-Blacks the authority on what Blacks find offensive? Is it not enough that we tell you we are?
Because you can't articulate why.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Exactly what I was about to say. We need it to be spelled out....just saying its bothersome or offensive is not reason enough to spout off. Lightning striking 50 feet from me is offensive....but if I can't tell you why it offends me then I deserve to be looked at sideways and funny.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I'm sure the kid meant well but you can tell his parents are racist
You can't be serious.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
A thread full of whites who are lecturing black people on why blackface shouldn't be considered offensive...priceless.

Quote:
Exactly what I was about to say. We need it to be spelled out....just saying its bothersome or offensive is not reason enough to spout off. Lightning striking 50 feet from me is offensive....but if I can't tell you why it offends me then I deserve to be looked at sideways and funny.
Actually it's Pretty common knowledge. I understood why imitating ethnic groups was offensive back in elementary school. See calipoppy's post# 38 for an explanation

Ignorance about race in this country simply astounds me

Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
The bigger question is....why are black people offended by blackface? Do you also hate white-faced clowns?
Educate yourself on the topic first and then get back to us some with intelligent questions. We would be happy to discuss and engage in an intelligent conversation on the issue.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I'm sure the kid meant well but you can tell his parents are racist
Stop the presses...I actually agree with one of your posts.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Quote:
Really? What were your thoughts on the Ground Zero mosque?

Exactly...

Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's not about who portrays MLK. It's that you don't need to put on blackface to portray a Black person. And have you looked up blackface yet?
Okay. I just googled "blackface." Maybe the problem is in that term used to describe what the boy did. When in actuality, if you look at the photo of him, he did not attempt to do the offensive, mocking type of black face painting called, "black face," as described by Wiki:

"... blackface performers in the past used burnt cork and later greasepaint or shoe polish to blacken their skin and exaggerate their lips, often wearing woolly wigs, gloves, tailcoats, or ragged clothes to complete the transformation. Later, black artists also performed in blackface."

Blackface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That I could understand being offensive. But, all the boy did was apply some black face make up - no exaggerated features, etc. I think the newspaper description, calling it "black face," which has negative connotations was misleading. But, look at the photo and tell me if you still find this offensive.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A thread full of whites who are lecturing black people on why blackface shouldn't be considered offensive...priceless.

Actually it's Pretty common knowledge. I understood why imitating ethnic groups was offensive back in elementary school. See calipoppy's post# 38 for an explanation

Ignorance about race in this country simply astounds me
What about Al Jolson's portrayals was mocking or derogatory? Are you aware that white supremecists hated him, because they thought he was portraying blacks as superior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies