Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times

Advertisements

It's a sickness of the mind and spirit to think that the institution of marriage should be perverted to include same sex marriage. I'm not religious but this issue is a social disaster and any honest person not afraid to get called names by the crazed left and their adoring homosexuals understands how wrong this is on so many levels. That the current administration has blocked this while supporting it is, humorous.

If two consenting adults want a legal relationship outside of marriage (one man, one woman) let them write a legal contract.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Hating bigots makes me a fascist? In case you have conveniently forgotten, you and Hitler both oppose gay marriage. You really think Nazi Germany was a haven for gay people? I imagine you'd be far more at home there

Besides you, who decided people who disagree with you are bigots?

FTR...Mother Theresa also opposed same-sex marriage.

Does that make her a Nazi or you incapable of defending your views?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It's a sickness of the mind and spirit to think that the institution of marriage should be perverted to include same sex marriage. I'm not religious but this issue is a social disaster and any honest person not afraid to get called names by the crazed left and their adoring homosexuals understands how wrong this is on so many levels. That the current administration has blocked this while supporting it is, humorous.

If two consenting adults want a legal relationship outside of marriage (one man, one woman) let them write a legal contract.
The government shouldn't be involved in marriage contracts at all: straight, gay, asexual, up, down, left or right.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Biblical marriage is not just between one man and one woman.

If you really want to put forward that two consenting adults, no matter their gender, marrying is less moral then a rapist forcibly married to their victim...wow.

Common law marriages, and even civil unions (in the rare states that have them), do not have the same rights as marriage under the law.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Marriage should be between two PEOPLE who love each other and want to marry.

See how simple that is?

As for your "facts", too one-sided.

Obviously, you haven't really given this much thought.

Using your standard brother and sisters could marry along with parents and children, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.

And why do they have to love each other?

Will couples be tested to verify their love for one another?

You placed a limit of two persons who may marry but made no effort to explain why two was the correct number, assuming a limit were needed.

Two people are needed for sexual reproduction.

The two-person limit has nothing to do with homosexuals who cannot sexually reproduce.

If you are going to model homosexual unions after heterosexual ones, please don't insult our intelligence by imposing a limit of two persons as though reasoning applied (e.g., two people are needed for sexual reproduction).

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Now, you question the value of SSM and gays in general. My question to you is, what makes YOU any more valuable? What makes your marriage any more valuable?

Please don't fall back on the "I can procreate" bandwagon. Our world is overpopulated as it is.

So, tell us, what makes you so darn special.
Quote:
In the Social Security system, the money you pay into the system gets immediately paid back out to the people who are currently getting Social Security checks. This arrangement came into being because of the way the system started. In 1935, when Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law, there were a lot of people who needed benefits (because of the Great Depression), but there was no money to pay those benefits with. The idea at the time was that people currently working would pay into the system, and their money would immediately go back out in the form of benefit checks. Each generation of retiring workers would get paid by the people currently working, and therefore the system would fund itself forever despite the fact that the system had no money to start with. This clever idea worked great in 1935 (and for many years after that), but it is going to have a problem in the future for two reasons:
  • In 1935, there were many more people paying into the system than those receiving benefits. The ratio of workers to retirees meant that workers did not have to pay much into the system in 1935 to support the retirees (this table shows that up through 1950, only 2% of income (1% employee, 1% employer) was withheld for Social Security, compared to 15.30% (7.65% employee, 7.65% employer) today). In the future, the retirement of millions of baby boomers will hurt the ratio -- there will be so many retired people that the working people will not be able to support them. If the population had grown steadily this would not have been a problem, but there is no good way for the design of the Social Security System to handle a population spike like the baby boomers.
HowStuffWorks "How does the Social Security system work?"

Quote:
There are people who deserve to be on disability, they have legitimate medical conditions which warrant it. Besides, they paid into the system and should be able to utilize it when needed.

Welfare, food stamps and Medicaid are also there to help people thru difficult times. I will agree that the system is greatly abused though.
Now do you see how silly it is to try and claim "I can procreate" as a bad phrase?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Too late. Heterosexuals have had the opportunity to defend marriage for thousands of years and have failed miserably. Have you ever heard of divorce?

http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vannema...s/divorce.html

Ohh gee, look at that. The ******* agenda has led to a breakdown in marriages and now the ******* agenda wants us to believe their agenda, this time, is genuine, pure and moral.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM

371 posts, read 443,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Marriage in the US is between ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN.
You are old.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quite personally I have a long list of things to think about that are infinitely more important than what my neighbors do with their genitalia.

I have never once, not one single time had a gay person tell me who I should be with, who I should have sex with and who I should marry.

Sex is the business of the people involved, not the entire nation.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
This.

Besides I had a mother and a father for a very short period of time. I was raised by a single mother. Many relationships don't work out. I think kids would be better adjusted just having a loving and caring environment. I know I would rather have a gay couple raising me who loved and cared about each other and me rather then the typical male/female relationship who fight all the time. It's a no brainer for me.

Not sure how you end up being raised by a gay couple if your parents divorce.

Do you think heterosexual mothers are going to hook up with other women when their marriage fails?

FTR....do you think homosexual couples are less prone to argue or are you simply projecting your parent's failed relationship on the rest of the heterosexual world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies