Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM

69 posts, read 172,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Sure would be upset if my gay kid was in his class. Or, how about a parent teacher conference with a teacher who has publicly condemned you as a sinner? Hope that guy did not play football, wear blended fibers or eat bottom feeders. He'd be on his way to hell, too.

We need to go back to the olden days when the majority of teachers had brains and common sense .

They also could not be seen buying beer or in a place where alcohol was served.
This is Kansas we are talking about. Half or more of the teachers in that school, along with the students and school district, think the exact same thing as him. If people weren't stalking him on the Internet, they wouldn't have known his opinion anymore than any other teacher's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Just because they're informed by religion doesn't mean they're not bigoted.
The word "bigot" is very loaded and should not be bandied about just because someone holds a view opposing yours. It loses its meaning when that is done and marginalizes any contempt people should have for real bigots. It also weakens support for your position. People aren't likely to be persuaded to your point of view if you call them names, rather then argue effectively and rationally.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Bigot? He simply expressed a biblical view. Why are you intolerant of religious beliefs? Doesn't that make you a bigot - and a hypocrite as well?
He's only focusing on the parts of the bible he likes, also called self projection as god.

Quote:
Self Projection as God (SPAG) describes the phenomenon through which believers, when trying to trying to ascribe a personality and wishes to their chosen god, tend to arrive at something that is oddly similar to what they themselves think and feel. Whether the process is conscious, or a concerted effort to invoke a divine mandate in support of their actions, SPAG is a contributing factor to cafeteria Christianity.
Ignoring all the things Jesus said.

Would Jesus Discriminate? - Biblical Evidence

Yeah, that's bigotry. Like using the curse of Ham to call black people cursed.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
There are a couple "types" of people who do this;

1. The technologically ignorant (IE: "I didn't know anyone would see it")
2. The impulsive poster (I include drunk posting in this group too)
3. People who want to stir the pot then claim they are being persecuted. This is the group I least understand and least want anywhere near me.

If anyone thinks public posting of their opinions on all matters regardless of how controversial won't impact their lives and livelihoods they are hopeless and aren't worth anyones time.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
The word "bigot" is very loaded and should not be bandied about just because someone holds a view opposing yours. It loses its meaning when that is done and marginalizes any contempt people should have for real bigots. It also weakens support for your position. People aren't likely to be persuaded to your point of view if you call them names, rather then argue effectively and rationally.
I don't throw that term around "just because someone hold a view opposing" mine. I call bigots bigots.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Hope he's fired so that any student, especially any gay study or student with gay parents, doesn't have to deal with his hate. Oh, and by the way he doesn't hate gay people.

"He wrote that homosexuality ‘ranks in God's eyes the same asmurder, lying, stealing, or cheating’.

In his defense, he has stated, ‘I'm not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I am doing it because those who embrace it will never enterthe Kingdom of Heaven’

Read more: Outrage as social studies middle school teacher posts on Facebook that being gay is 'the same as murder' | Mail Online
I've always hated it when people presume to know who God will allow into the Heaven. While it's true that homosexuality is deemed as a serious sin, I don't recall if it's deemed as a mortal sin. So a homosexual could repent and in theory enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

At any rate my guess is the PC police will render this teacher an ex-teacher very shortly.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
He's only focusing on the parts of the bible he likes, also called self projection as god.

Ignoring all the things Jesus said.

Would Jesus Discriminate? - Biblical Evidence

Yeah, that's bigotry. Like using the curse of Ham to call black people cursed.
I'm not going to get into a Biblical discussion here. If you accuse people of cherry-picking the Bible but don't realize that you are doing that yourself rather then look at the whole counsel of the Bible then I can't help you. Jesus made it clear that his life, death, and ressurection was the fullfillment of the law - that the law was valid - and he called people to confess their sins, be forgiven and to "go and sin no more". That is a discussion for the religion forum - and I will not get into it here.

The teacher in question posted a biblical idea - nothing more.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't throw that term around "just because someone hold a view opposing" mine. I call bigots bigots.
Then you had better define "bigot". You should also be ready for that word to be thrown back at you when you use it flippantly.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get into a Biblical discussion here. If you accuse people of cherry-picking the Bible but don't realize that you are doing that yourself rather then look at the whole counsel of the Bible then I can't help you. Jesus made it clear that his life, death, and ressurection was the fullfillment of the law - that the law was valid - and he called people to confess their sins, be forgiven and to "go and sin no more". That is a discussion for the religion forum - and I will not get into it here.

The teacher in question posted a biblical idea - nothing more.
And it was discriminatory.

What if he were Mormon and he posted Mormonism's views on those of African descent? Now that would be interesting.

It will be even more interesting to see how Romney approaches this subject when it comes up.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
If she posted all homophobes should be killed the gay army would have a new general.

Freedom of speech on attack by the kooks yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies