Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities? The few times I do hear it in person the speaker usually gets called out on it, not always, but most of the times. Is my area more politically correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM

69 posts, read 173,013 times
Part of it is that people are cowards and know that if they say that to someone's face, it's gonna get far uglier than it can on the Internet.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:14 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities?
They're a small but vocal (here, at least) minority. They're dinosaurs in the throes of gasping their last. Their posts here are their last hurrah. Fortunately, attitudes on the part of the US population at large have evolved far beyond this anachronistic tribal warfare. As you've noticed, yourself.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
One Possibility: I am one of the few over-age-50 employees in a "fast pace" shop with a very-diverse and predominatey under-30 workforce.

The slackers, regardless of ethnicity, don't last long here, and the racial profile of the group who do meet the test conforms pretty closely to the nation as a whole.

In short, what was successfully applied to our military fifty years ago is now being used as the model in most successful enteprises; and it works!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-20-2012 at 01:50 PM..

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Its because you bring it up online, where I'm sure you'd never suggest to your area that you should discuss race.

835 posts, read 1,041,020 times
Because bigots know they are safe behind a computer screen.

I think American needs to amend the Freedom of Speech amendment. They should make hate speech illegal because it affects the life of other citizens.
Free speech is cool as long as it doesn't carry over into someone else day.
It should also fall under the line of cyber bullying but it doesn't. That needs to be changed too.

Like in London where a woman got arrested for hate speech on a train (or was it a bus).

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
What area do you live in? Frankly since liberals such as yourself have instituted a statist climate in regards to race, folks are scared to say anything that deviates from the PC ideology deemed acceptable by the mainstream media. So they turn to the internet to vent. This is actually more dangerous and has the potential to explode in bloody fashion as we've recently seen in Norway. It's best to have an open airing of ideas and challenge arguments on the merits as opposed to simply silencing debate.

I mean as we type the FBI is desperately trying to find a way to charge a man with hate crime charges in a killing that by all accounts had little to do with race. The evidence the FBI is relying on? Inflammatory comments he may have made in the past and under his breath during a 911 call.

Here's a rundown of commentators in recent years who have lost their livlihoods running foul of PC liberals such as yourself.

Quote:
ANTHONY A. WILLIAMS
In 1999, the director of the DC mayor’s constituent services was let go for using the word “*****rdly.” This happens so often, the Urban Dictionary defines it as a “word that will get u fired…even though it doesn’t mean anything offensive.”

MELIN
In 1999, this female moderator at The Straight Dope’s message board was fired because she said people shouldn’t care what race you are and if you’re asked to list your ethnicity on government forms, you should put “American.” To be against racism this much is actually racist. Got it?

DAN ISSEL
In 2001, this Denver Nuggets basketball coach was being harassed by an angry drunk fan who kept yelling, “You suck!” Issel blew kisses at first but the fan wouldn’t stop and Issel eventually lost his temper and reportedly said, “Go drink another beer you ****ing Mexican piece of ****.” Issel quickly went from making $2.5 million a year to making $0 a year.

LINA MORALES
In 2004, this Hispanic worker at a Florida telecommunications company made the mistake of having a BLT for lunch. Her Muslim employers were offended by her “flesh of swine” and sacked her on the spot. PC apologists pointed out that she had been warned about pork before and was eating the BLT as an act of defiance. What a *****.

DAVID LENIHAN
In 2006, when this talk-show host was discussing Condoleezza Rice’s dream of becoming commissioner of the National Football League he made it clear he was all for it. He also said it would be a huge coup—only he said “coon” by accident. Lenihan was clearly mortified by his mistake and within seconds he told viewers he was “totally, totally, totally, totally sorry.” Apparently four “totallys” weren’t enough, and he lost his job anyway.
The PC Gods Must Be Crazy - Taki's Magazine

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-21-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post

I think American needs to amend the Freedom of Speech amendment. They should make hate speech illegal because it affects the life of other citizens.
It should also fall under the line of cyber bullying but it doesn't. That needs to be changed too.

Like in London where a woman got arrested for hate speech on a train (or was it a bus).
Exhibit A. Liberals silencing debate, scary stuff.

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
The fact is extremists are more likely to post online than moderates. You sure would not guess from this forum that at least 77% of Americans think both Reagan and Clinton were average or above Presidents.

749 posts, read 838,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post

It's just words.....if a person has a hard time dealing with it, and falls apart because someone they don't know says something that offends them, maybe THEY'VE got the problem as well.

Yes....let us ban every damned thing that could possibly upset ANYONE!

Grow a sack for Godsakes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies