Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times

Advertisements

"...and as for Jesus Christ, I have my doubts regarding his divinity."

- Benjamin Franklin.

I let the experts do the talking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Biden and Clinton got out of it. No right winger will ever EVER admit Bush, Cheney, Dan Quayle and Romney are draft dodgers, it doesn't fit into their world of magical thinking where gay people, liberals and Muslims are the only bad things.
You have a funny definition of "draft dodger" and/or an inexplicable disrespect of the National Guard.

George W. Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard and the Alabama Air National Guard from 1968-1974. He was honorably discharged from the Air Force reserves. If your argument is that he didn't serve in Vietnam - neither did the vast majority of U.S. Servicemen who were on active duty between 1965-1972.

Dan Quayle served with the Indiana National Guard from 1969-1975 - he was honorably discharged with the rank of seargeant.

Dick Cheney received a 3A deferment - having dependent children(his wife was pregnant at the time). He was not unique in this regard.

Mitt Romney received a deferment because of his missionary work with the Mormon Church. If you didn't know - the Mormon Church does a lot of good work around the world, so unless you are opposed to the good things Governor Romney did on his mission - I don't see why you would be opposed to his deferment, especially if you have any opposition to the United States involvement in Vietnam.

It really is ridiculous that we have used Vietnam War service as some kind of hammer to attack political candidates with whom we disagree. It didn't used to be this way. I can understand that Vietnam was a very devisive issue - at the time. Why we need to fight the same battles over again 40-45 years later is beyond me. I was not a Clinton fan - but that had nothing to do with his military service(or lack thereof) - it was because of his policies. I thought that the whole draft dodger thing was overblown and a bad strategy.

Let's stop attacking people who served, and those who didn't. Aren't we all Americans? Let us instead thank those veterans who have served, and stop questioning the motives and character of those who didn't or couldn't.

We are stronger united than divided.

Last edited by Harrier; 05-23-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Lets see. When did we kill Bo Diem? 1963. Who was the president?
LBJ was potus when the GUlf of Tonkin incident occurred. Nixon inherited Vietnam from two Democrats without the guts,courage or character to either get out or finish the job.
So? What gives you the silly idea that people who are affiliated with the opposite political party as the person who happens to be president when the country is at war "have no obligation to serve"? If people had that attitude during WW2, we would be speaking Japanese and/or German now. When the country is at war, all Americans should support the effort - in whatever manner they can. If one disagrees with the war, then the voting booth is your venue to enact change.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
So to sum up some Americans would not go along with the ideal that citizenship has a a price which loyal citizens should pay even if it means them going in harms way ?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Sorry, but God comes before the country.
No it does not.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Lets see. When did we kill Bo Diem? 1963. Who was the president?
LBJ was potus when the GUlf of Tonkin incident occurred. Nixon inherited Vietnam from two Democrats without the guts,courage or character to either get out or finish the job.
You mean the Richard Nixon that needlessly carpet bombed Laos and Cambodia with no designated objective? Yeah he was brilliant, alright

Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I wish I had Mitt's choice at that time. Let us decide which is better. Two years on the river boats in 'Nam or two and a half boating on the Seine in Paris with all the French chicks. Now why did I choose 'Nam? Oh year, poverty may have had something to do with that. I just could not afford to live in France. Too bad. I went to a war to protect the French plantation owners. That was the RIGHT thing to do.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Republicans will always hypocritically support any draft dodger. Bush, Cheney, Romney all dodged the draft, you'll never get a teabagger to admit it, which is pretty pathetic. The least intellectually honest people on the planet, living in your own reality really must be some joyride.
You give them a run for their money in this post though.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
"...and as for Jesus Christ, I have my doubts regarding his divinity."

- Benjamin Franklin.

I let the experts do the talking
Haha, you wouldn't want to know my opinion on religion. I respect those who stand by their religion, unfortunately, those people are like a needle in the haystack.

Most of the religious people are simply phony to say the least but I still respect their phoniness as long as they keep their religion to themselves.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
No it does not.
Why not? And I agree to an extent - during wartime, country should come before God. That said, I would not force someone whose religious beliefs cause them to be a pacifict - to support a war effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies