Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Our 10 y.o. daughters have never set foot in a cemetery although they know what they are for. For some reason I want to have them visit a Veterans Cemetery this weekend to see all the flags and we want to try to explain to them what Veterans Day is all about.

But there are a few problems:

we are both children of the 60's, both very much involved in the Peace Movement and both anti war. (DH is a vet) Please give me some ideas how you would explain the bravery of somebody dying for their country, standing up for what they believe in vis a vis how we feel about the horrors of war and how to stand up against it like we did.

They are both adopted from Vietnam- northern provinces. As I recall each tombstone names the wars the vet was in. How do I handle them seeing Vietnam on so many tombstones? They have been told about the history of their country of origin and they are aware of the Vietnam War.

Is it a bad idea to even take them to a Veterans cemetery?

How would you handle this?
Thank you. I put this question here rather than the Parenting Forum because of the politics involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Our 10 y.o. daughters have never set foot in a cemetery although they know what they are for. For some reason I want to have them visit a Veterans Cemetery this weekend to see all the flags and we want to try to explain to them what Veterans Day is all about.

But there are a few problems:

we are both children of the 60's, both very much involved in the Peace Movement and both anti war. (DH is a vet) Please give me some ideas how you would explain the bravery of somebody dying for their country, standing up for what they believe in vis a vis how we feel about the horrors of war and how to stand up against it like we did.

They are both adopted from Vietnam- northern provinces. As I recall each tombstone names the wars the vet was in. How do I handle them seeing Vietnam on so many tombstones? They have been told about the history of their country of origin and they are aware of the Vietnam War.

Is it a bad idea to even take them to a Veterans cemetery?

How would you handle this?
Thank you. I put this question here rather than the Parenting Forum because of the politics involved.
You can teach your kids about Memorial day without having to take them to a cemetery. Personally I think 10 years old are too young to be taken to a cemetery for a civic lesson

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Honoring those who have fallen in service for their country is entirely separate from the Powers that be that sent those soldiers into war.

Their's was not to to question why only to do or die.

Would you have the same second thoughts if those you seek to honor had directly saved you and your family from death or destuction.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Thank you for the responses. something to think about. They are asking about the Vietnam War and I want them to be proud of their country of origin. My idiot brother thought it was a fun joke to call them Little Commies when they were little. He's not a problem anymore but this might come up in the future. Hopefully not.

I remember my feelings as a child of being taken to the cemetery for flag placement, wearing poppies on memorial Day etc and was trying to share a bit of this with them. All the flags are beautiful but of course you don't have to go to a cemetery for a good civics lesson.

Our family is so small and so scattered I can't imagine that they would ever go to a cemetery before they are adults. We are not religious and want to be cremated like most others in our family. I'll just have to think on it some more. Maybe a good parade would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies