Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess his father marching with MLK doesn't count.
I wonder where obama's folks were during the civil rights movement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Time
For starters school needs to be at least 1-2 hours longer per day.
Anybody not catching on fast enough should have to attend a mandatory sixth day of school (Saturday)
Summer school should be mandatory for anyone not at grade level.
Pre-K should be offered at all elementary schools (at least 3 days a week) and should be mandatory like the rest of the grade levels.

Money
Money per student should be equal throughout the state.
High tax revenue areas shouldn’t receive more per student.
Education should receive a larger percent of tax funds.
Teachers should be paid base off performance not time.
I am not for: 1-2 hours longer
No tax paid Pre -k, period
I know in the areas where I have lived education DID receive the bulk of all taxes collected.

The rest I agree with.

Even with these ideas, how long do you think it take to implement them?
A vouch could be used UNTIL what we suggest is put into place.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's a gross oversimplification. The problem with Romney appearance is he has no significant history of reaching out to Black Americans. Now all of a sudden he's running for president and he decides to show up at an inner-city school. If it's one thing that most Black people detest is A PHONY. If you don't like or care about Black people fine, Black people have been dealing with the for 350 years. If you are willing to treat Black people fairly then simply show it through your actions. But don't all of a sudden show up in an inner-city neighborhood for a damn photo op and act like you have a sincere interest that you haven't demonstrated in any significant way before.
Are you serious? He was business man for most of his life. He a took care of his business and family. I don't know his record as Govonor of Mass.

Was Obama, or any other president "involved in foreign affairs BEFORE they became President? No.

You do the job you are involved in at the time.

Other then being a community organizer, what did Obama do? What has Biden done his whole political career?

The black people Romney addressed don't care what he says. They are going to vote for Obama ONLY because he is black.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Speaking about education should be a non controversial topic but oh no, ROmney's mere prescence sent some folks over the edge.
Sounds like perhaps you and Romney are a bit out of touch with the black experience in the US, let alone West Philly. As I understood it from my barracks mates in the Army, it is where one grows hard and mean. (At least they were! )

But you don't have to go back as far as that ('76), when right here on C-D it is discussed: West Philly: How far west is safe?

From MY own experience, when someone privileged throughout their life, as Romney has been, comes up to me and starts telling me what he is going to do for me -- even I want to kick him in his shins. (Course, I never would, but I wasn't raised in West Philly. )

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What issue about black conservatives? Who brought that up in this thread.

As for the rest of that post, (yaaawwwwn), i didn't even bother after the first sentence in the second paragraph. It's a waste of time.

I'll vote for whomever the hell i want, and it's none of your business.
lol who cares if you read it or not, everyone else did, hence the reps.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
What wilard said about that was proved to be false. Here's one source:

Why did Mitt romney lie about his dad marching with MLK Jr.? - Yahoo! Answers

If it's true that willard's father marched with MLK, then where are the pictures? surely, there would have been some pictures snapped of MLK and the sitting governor of Michigan?

Here's another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Apparently, George Romney was a strong civil rights supporter, but did not march with MLK because the march was held on a Sunday. That's what the article says anyway.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
What his father did almost 50 years ago has NOTHING to do with what he's done.

Mitt Romney problem is he has no track record of showing any particular track record in terms of reaching out and showing concern for the plight of poor Black Americans. Now, less than six months from a presidential election you wants to "Appeal" to these people. Sorry, that just isn't going to work. The anger is attributed to the fact these people resent Mitt Romney using them.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 05-26-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Do tell...is that why 98% of blacks voted FOR OBAMA??

As for trying to sell an audience? Right....a black audience that has already decided they are voting obama because he is BLACK. it sure as hell isn't because he's doing one damned thing for them!!

As Samuel L. Jackson said...“I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” the actor recently told Ebony magazine via Page Six. “That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [bleep] to me."

Now you can deny all you like, and there may be a FEW blacks who would vote for a WHITE man when he is running against a BLACK MAN....but it sure as hell isn't the NORM, and you should know that IF you are black and being honest. Samuel L. Jackson typifies the black attitude towards voting....and that is SAD.

No matter WHAT Romney's message was...they weren't hearing it, and that is EXACTLY why these people continue to be mired in the stink holes they are in. They keep thinking BLACK vs. WHITE...and that attitude will NEVER end unless they start thinking for themselves...LISTENING....and making responsible, intelligent decisions!! Starting with HEARING WHAT SOMEONE HAS TO SAY!!!!
There will be plenty of White Americans that will vote for Mitt Romney simply because he is White and they hate the thought of President Barack Obama, or anything other than a White person being in the White House.

So what's you point?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
I wonder where obama's folks were during the civil rights movement?
Again what Mitt Romney's father did during the Civil Right Movement is totally irrelevant. Barack Obama's work helping poor inner city Black people is fairly well documented, Mitt Romney's not so much.

The fact you have to cite George Romney's Civil Rights efforts and not Mitt's show how weak your argument is.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 05-26-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Romney may know math, but he sure as hell doesn't know how to fool people. It's almost a slap in the face fore him to act like he cares about our dangerous inner cities where the majority of the residents are black.

He clearly found out how the people there felt about him. For him to stop there trying to buy votes just so he could forget about those same people after the election is laughable.
Obama has stayed away from inner city blacks, even though they love him.

Look at how much better off they are now than four years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies