Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how people felt: Is it permissible to lie if it helps your candidate get elected? Is there an "ends justify the means" argument? If it's not okay to lie, is it okay to be selectively ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
If getting your candidate in office is the end goal, then many will say yes.

If making your community, state, and country the best it can be - is the end goal, then you need to examine things to see why candidate X needs lies to win an election. And if candidate X wins, how much will he/she lie to the public they serve...

The truth is always the best - even when its ugly.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If getting your candidate in office is the end goal, then many will say yes.

If making your community, state, and country the best it can be - is the end goal, then you need to examine things to see why candidate X needs lies to win an election. And if candidate X wins, how much will he/she lie to the public they serve...

The truth is always the best - even when its ugly.
Love it.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Since all politicians lie to get elected then it is probably ok to lie to get them elected.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Just wondering how people felt: Is it permissible to lie if it helps your candidate get elected? Is there an "ends justify the means" argument? If it's not okay to lie, is it okay to be selectively ignorant?
Absolutely not, under any circumstances. Unfortunately, this, more then any other reason is why we're so screwed up these days. Candidates lie, flip flop, and stretch the truth (or omit it totally,) to fit their goals, cut up and dissected to fit average attention span of the average American.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Absolutely not, under any circumstances. Unfortunately, this, more then any other reason is why we're so screwed up these days. Candidates lie, flip flop, and stretch the truth (or omit it totally,) to fit their goals, cut up and dissected to fit average attention span of the average American.

Why single out just the candidates? How many emails do you get that don't check out with snopes or truthorfiction which people pass along without question? I get hundreds. Worse, when I send back the truth, far too many people don't care and will just keep on forwarding them KNOWING they're lies.

And it is 99.9% Obamaphobes who do that. Some of my best friends who are RWNJ's and Christian's to boot have told me flat out that they will continue forwarding that stuff regardless because Obama is so "dangerous." Whether they think about it or not, that lands them squarely in the "ends justifies the means" crowd.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
No, No, and No

Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Lying is fine as long as 1) I benefit from said lie 2) I am telling the lie or 3) the lie is not detrimental to me.

Otherwise lying is terrible.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
When it comes to Progressives "the end justify the means" is standard operating procedure.

Is it right? No.

One more reason to vote for Ron Paul.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I think lying, or purposely misleading people about a candidate is silly. Its a political ploy that has little to do but excite the base.

All these elections have turned out to be is which candidate can fool the majority of about 20% of the people in the country that the other guy is so bad, that you have to vote for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies