Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I need a million bucks. The tax rate is 40% so I pay myself $1.66 million and I have my million. You raise the tax rate to 50% so I pay myself $2 million. To get even with the rich you raise the tax rate to 90% and I pay myself $10 million. I raise prices and slash salaries across the company. You would have got that 10 cent raise but tough cookies now.

Uncle Sam takes the extra tax money and spends it studying the mating habits of a snail darter in a tributary of the Sierra Nevada. The grant money funds grad students from China. The American kids are too busy Occupying Starbucks to actually get an advanced degree.

You won. You raised my taxes.
Or the opposite, I want $1M in wealth, so I pay myself $1, and allow my company to grow wealth. Since we dont tax wealth, you can raise taxes to 100%, but since my salary is so low, I wont pay crap, but I'll still be a multi millionaire.

yeah, liberals won because they go from getting $600K to $0 and my wealth grows at the rate of $1M a year, to $1.66M a year.. They showed me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or the opposite, I want $1M in wealth, so I pay myself $1, and allow my company to grow wealth. Since we dont tax wealth, you can raise taxes to 100%, but since my salary is so low, I wont pay crap, but I'll still be a multi millionaire.

yeah, liberals won because they go from getting $600K to $0 and my wealth grows at the rate of $1M a year, to $1.66M a year.. They showed me!!
Just look at Warren Buffet (only $100K salary) or Bill Gates (Foundation money) as examples of sheltering their money.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,928 times
Those dummies known as liberals have never understood the connection between tax increases and revenue generated from those tax increases; raise the former and the latter goes off the cliff.

Then there's that chronically hilarious 'millionaire's tax', which has never worked either; when Maryland tried it recently, the amount of tax filers whose income exceeded $1,000,000 fell by ONE-THIRD!!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just look at Warren Buffet (only $100K salary) or Bill Gates (Foundation money) as examples of sheltering their money.
Buffet is an excellent example of where the problem is. The problem isn't that taxes are too low. It's that it's not distributed fairly.

We need to simplify our tax code.

Income: _______
Tax: _______
Amt Paid_______
Amt due _______

Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Strange Facts about America
Public perception of poverty in the U.S. is governed by the mainstream media, which invariably depicts the Census Bureau’s tens of millions of poor people as chronically hungry and malnourished, homeless or barely hanging on in overcrowded, dilapidated housing.
Here are more surprising facts about Americans defined as “poor†by the Census Bureau, all taken from various government reports ..
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.

WTF does "have a microwave" have to do with poverty or lack thereof?

I've lived in rentals that included a microwave. Does that magically make a poor person affluent?

I earned a recycled computer by volunteering at a non-profit computer recycler. Did that make me affluent? Oh, and it's easy to buy used microwaves and used computers today for under $50.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Those dummies known as liberals have never understood the connection between tax increases and revenue generated from those tax increases; raise the former and the latter goes off the cliff.

Then there's that chronically hilarious 'millionaire's tax', which has never worked either; when Maryland tried it recently, the amount of tax filers whose income exceeded $1,000,000 fell by ONE-THIRD!!!!

Millionaires have a weak work ethic?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Cut the CEO's paycheck in half and that will give each employee about a 10 cent raise per month.

A company's primary goal is to make a profit and return on investment for their shareholders. Employing 1, 10 or a million people is a byproduct of this quest for profit. If Target thinks they can poach the best checkers from Wal-Mart then they will offer enticements to get them to change. But in this economy, there are more workers than jobs. It's simple economics.

Maybe the federal government should not have forced banks to give loans to people who couldn't pay them back? Better yet, maybe the buyers should not have purchased houses they could not afford?
The fed gov't didn't "force" banks to give loans to people who couldn't afford, them, who do you think you're kidding? The banks chose to do that, and you're right, they shouldn't have done it, it was a very bad business move based on greed.

Employing 1, 10, or a million people is not a byproduct of the quest for profit, it is the means to the quest for profit. But keep trying to justify destroying the middle class and keeping people in poverty. You'll only dig yourself in deeper here. I'm selling tickets to this show, and making a bundle!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Wrong.
This is just your opinion, not fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Wal-Mart's health insurance is not inadequate.
How would you know? Do you know anyone who works in the lower ranks at Wal-Mart? I doubt it.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Since we don't tax wealth, we now know who runs this country.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Millionaires have a weak work ethic?
Some do. ie: Paris Hilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies