Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,491,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think those "FHA homes" are privately built. FHA insures loans, doesn't build houses. Anyway my income is far too low to qualify for an FHA loan, so I remain a wealthless rent slave.
All you have to do is make more money and have good credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Pure BS! The income gap is not just measured in consumption but in political and economic power. By that standard the US is ruled by about 1% of its population.
Not True.

Quote:
That is neither a Republic nor a Democracy but a tyranny of those that can vote them selves privilege without responsibility.
Sounds more like you have a problem with your elected officials.

If you're not happy with Congress - vote in people you will be happy with.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,222,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wrong about the poor using computers at the public library?
You are right that there are often poor using computers at the public library, I think what you are lacking is that it is countering the OP's statement that people who aren't upper class have computers just like the upper class do.

One doesn't need to be wealthy to own a computer... it is no longer a luxury item, it is quite common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF does "have a microwave" have to do with poverty or lack thereof? I've lived in rentals that included a microwave. Does that magically make a poor person affluent? I earned a recycled computer by volunteering at a non-profit computer recycler. Did that make me affluent? Oh, and it's easy to buy used microwaves and used computers today for under $50.
As far as I can tell you are arguing against nobody. Someone pointing out that lower income people own things like microwaves and computers is not the same as what you are refuting, unless I missed where someone claimed poor people are affluent because of owning these things. They are still poor, they just have more stuff than previous generations of poor did.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,222,064 times
Quote:
There were virtually no homelessness until a) Reagan de-institutionalized the mentally ill, b) banks made housing loans to people who couldn't afford it, then the loans were bundled into 3-rd rate investment instruments that eventually imploded causing c) massive unemployment .
Really? Aside from the mentally ill there were virtually no homeless before about 2005-2006, do you have any numbers to support that? As in how much has homelessness increased as a percentage since the recession?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM

102,277 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Really? Aside from the mentally ill there were virtually no homeless before about 2005-2006, do you have any numbers to support that? As in how much has homelessness increased as a percentage since the recession?
The Reagan Presidency was in the 80's, fyi.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM

102,277 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

One doesn't need to be wealthy to own a computer... it is no longer a luxury item, it is quite common.
Anything that costs hundreds of dollars is a luxury item. This is now getting down to a definition of "poor". But some of those who do have computers have second-hand ones, or donated ones.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,242,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Buffet is an excellent example of where the problem is. The problem isn't that taxes are too low. It's that it's not distributed fairly.

We need to simplify our tax code.

Income: _______
Tax: _______
Amt Paid_______
Amt due _______
That wont solve the problem because one can grow wealth, which doesnt ever get taxed until its sold.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Anything that costs hundreds of dollars is a luxury item. This is now getting down to a definition of "poor". But some of those who do have computers have second-hand ones, or donated ones.
If poor people can afford $300 dollar Nike tennis shoes, they can afford all kinds of things.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,634,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Here are more surprising facts about Americans defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau, all taken from various government reports ..
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.
HT, you usually have some banking and financial knowledge (as opposed to most others)

Factual statistics are never reported by the lamestream media, and we know, you know that.

Most Workers Report a Job-Related Hardship
A Pew Research Center survey of the general public in May 2010—during the period covered by the new census figures on poverty, income and health insurance—found that more than half the adults in the U.S. labor force (55%) suffered a work-related hardship since the recession began. These hardships included involuntary reduction in work hours, a pay cut, unpaid leave, a switch to part-time work, underemployment or unemployment, according to the report, How the Great Recession Has Changed Life in America.

More than HALF

*****DVD players and ipads are not the issue. Food, clothing , shelter and jobs are.

The Pew Research Center’s annual survey of Americans’ to-do list for the president and Congress indicated that the economy and jobs dominate the public’s priorities for government in 2012, with other major issues—including problems of the poor—viewed as less important. Only 52% in that survey taken in early January say “dealing with the problems of the poor and needy” should be a top priority for the president and Congress. By contrast, the economy is rated a top priority by 87% of Americans, and jobs by 84%. The share calling the poor and needy a top priority was unchanged from 2010, but lower than it had been in 2005, before the recession began, when 59% rated the poor and needy a high priority. A decade ago, in 2001, dealing with the problems of the poor and needy was considered a top priority for the president and Congress by 63% of Americans.

OP is a proponent of the far right contingent that has led to rudimentary posts like "corporations are people", and using the usual social non-issues to create a divide.

Hard to do that when people are starving and losing their homes and jobs.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
If poor people can afford $300 dollar Nike tennis shoes, they can afford all kinds of things.
I've some of them as neighbors here at my beach front property in Gallup, NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies