Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

The principal is protecting the teacher because the parent is lying about not being told and the teacher undoubtedly has an electronic receipt of all e-mails she sent to the parent, as well as copies of the report cards she gave the student to send home or mailed. I've dated numerous teachers in my single days (my wife is also a former teacher) and have heard the whoppers parents tell. One even asked, when her daughter wrote the F word, if she at least spelled it right.

Teaching: she's doing it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
This thread cannot be commented on.

Huffpo is rejected by conservatives
this particular Huffpo link quotes (video) Foxnews which is rejected by liberals.

Therefore this did not happen.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Bullying is not limited to students.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
The sentence should fit the crime. Making a JOKE out of failing to meet the expectations of the teacher is not a good idea IMHO. Instead of making a joke about it, to get the point across, the teacher should have simply REWARDED the people in class who have completed the assignments and the people who were left out would have been very uncomfortable and conspicuous simply by the process of elimination.

Reinforcing positive behavior is infinitely more productive. The same message would have come across, believe me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I have a feeling that millions of very successful people in this world wine through something very similar and turned out quite well.

When there is no consequence for poor behavior your headed down a bad road..poor behavior has become the norm..
I agree Crossfire600, but the secret is to reward excellence. By giving the good students additional perks and benefits you send the same message across. If you do not reward excellence then no one strives for it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Another good example of why we are heading head first into the manure pond. She should have had her a$$ cracked and grounded..

Wow, next thing you know we will have pee wee league games with no winners..
The teacher was out of line, imo. Certificates like that just aren't cool for an 8 year old.

However, I have a difficult time feeling empathy because I find the situation ridiculous. Mom was so upset by her child's humiliation that she took it to the national press. Gee, I wonder which will be more humiliating to the kid? The 25 people in her class that knew or the whole country? Brilliant.

Last but not least, how is it the mother didn't know her kid wasn't turning in her homework? Seems to me the mother's greatest concern should be with the missing homework but I guess I'm just being silly.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
I can just about promise you there is more to this story than that FOX outlet is reporting....as usual.

Desert Springs Academy is one those Charter Schools everyone on the right seems to think is the greatest thing since free textbooks. As such, students are enrolled there voluntarily and the parents are expected to participate in their children's education.

As a part of the enrollment process, parents get a copy of the school's Parent Handbook, which includes this:

Conduct and Discipline:

Education is the primary mission of the school. All of Desert Springs Academy’s teachers recognize that the conduct of the students in their classroom affects behavior outside the classroom.

With that in mind, all teachers explain and disseminate the rules and accompanying rewards and punishments that govern all aspects of classroom behavior.

They address tardiness, missed homework, inappropriate behavior, dismissal, acceptable work, preparedness, and general citizenship.

Disciplinary Action:

Disciplinary Action can be summarized in five steps:

Reprimand (The teacher gives a reprimand to the student in private with the Director in attendance, if the situation warrants).
Demerit
After-school detention.
Suspension
Expulsion

To assure that learning is not interrupted by behavioral disruptions, Desert Springs Academy enforces a policy of demerits and after-school detentions. The goal is to work with parents to reinforce and support agreed-upon standards of courtesy, respect, and behavior, which are an important aspect of children’s education, and to prevent the loss of valuable instructional time. The maintenance of an orderly and harmonious classroom is essential to learning, and the policy of demerits and detentions reflects the Academy’s educational philosophy.

Detentions are assigned after the second demerit is given for a repeated infraction. In an attempt to keep communication open, teachers will contact parents by phone when a demerit or detention is issued (before) written notification is sent home. One-hour detention periods are held after school. The teacher informs parents when a detention is required and they mutually agree to select the day it is to be served within a one-week period. A teacher or the Director may request a parent conference after the student has served a detention.

STUDENTS ARE RELIEVED OF ALL DEMERITS AT THE CONCLUSION OF EACH GRADING PERIOD.

Infractions that result in a demerit and/or detention include the following:
being disrespectful to a teacher, peer, or visitor
fighting or roughhousing
exhibiting inappropriate or boisterous behavior
speaking out in class without permission
being out of an assigned seat unnecessarily
being unprepared for class by not bringing books, or materials necessary for the class
violating the dress code
cheating, lying or committing plagiarism
any behavior deemed unacceptable by the Director or faculty

Suspending a student from school is reserved for the most serious offenses or the most constant misbehavior. It is instituted at the request of the Director in consultation with the appropriate teacher(s) and parents. AFTER A STUDENT HAS SERVED THREE AFTER-SCHOOL DETENTIONS IN ONE GRADING PERIOD, THE STUDENT SERVES A ONE-DAY IN-SCHOOL SUSPENSION. Suspended students are expected to complete missed class work by the start of school the following day. Standards for return will be drafted at the start of the suspension period, during a parent conference with the Director and teacher.

If a student cannot or will not abide by the foregoing rules, that student may be expelled. After consultation with parents, student, and involved faculty, the Director may acknowledge that all other corrective avenues have been exhausted and recommend to the Governing Board expulsion of the student.

https://desertspringsacademyblog.wordpress.com/

Being unprepared for class by not having her homework assignments done is grounds for disciplinary action and the PARENT is a part of the process every step of the way.

The point is that IF the school followed it's own procedure (and there's no reason to suspect they did not), that girls parent was aware that her daughter was not doing her homework from the very beginning. She had ample opportunity as a Mother to correct that behavior and back up the school standards she voluntarily signed up for. Apparently, she had REPEATED opportunities to do so, yet failed to enforce the homework rules at home.

Now, she comes to the end of the school year and her daughter is singled out for an "award," she may have even been aware of beforehand (see first emboldened statement above), and it's all suddenly the school's fault and they're just picking on her poor little kid.

Hey Mom! If you're so worried about how your little darling is being treated, where were you the rest of the year? Where were you while your kid lounged around the house not doing her homework all term long?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
I live in a very small town (1200). The school has less than 150 kids K-12th. At the yearly Elementary and Jr Hi awards program one year, my 4th and 5th grade sons were the ONLY students out of the entire awards program that did not receive an award. In a case like this were two students out of 90 students were singled out and humiliated, I, as a concerned parent stepped in. There were "participation" awards that could've been given but were not because certain teachers felt that this was like giving "empty awards". If it comes down to two kids out of 90, I say give two participant awards instead of making those two kids feel they are worthless compared to the other 90. Our teachers do come up with a variety of awards for students though. From "The King of Green" for a kid loving the color green to "Miss Busy" for the student whose life revolves around what all of the other kids are doing. They are given in good humor. To give an award for negative behavior and directing it towards the parent is wrong though. It's sending the wrong message and instead of humiliating the student and angering the parent, why not try helping them?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Spoken like a man without children.
Two actually:

One did a stint in the Marine Corp and is now High Honors in College finishing a degree in Criminal Justice

One is in mining and working toward his inspectors certifications

Pretty proud of them

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Two actually:

One did a stint in the Marine Corp and is now High Honors in College finishing a degree in Criminal Justice

One is in mining and working toward his inspectors certifications

Pretty proud of them
Then I am appalled that you think humiliating a child is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies