Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,375,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That's only the first of the three Sacraments of Initiation in the Catholic Church. No Catholic thinks that Baptism alone makes one a Catholic. Please don't speak about the practices of Catholicism if you don't know and/or understand them.
I probably know 10x as much about the dogmas and practices AND HISTORY of the Roman Catholic Church than you do.

What would you like to know?

Let's talk about Charlemagne "making" thousands of people Catholic by sprinkling/baptizing them as infants.

Would you like to talk about the fact that about 75% of the rites, rituals and practices of the RCC have nothing to do with anything in the Bible?

Would you like to talk about the money-driven agenda that led the RCC to demand that priests not marry - but the church apparently didn't decide that was God's will until about 1100 AD?

Would you like to discuss how the non-Biblical mandate of Celibate Priests has led thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) of priests to seek to satisfy their sexual urges in completely horrific ways?

Please, let's talk at length about why so many people are seeing the RCC for what it really is.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I probably know 10x as much about the dogmas and practices AND HISTORY of the Roman Catholic Church than you do.

What would you like to know?

Let's talk about Charlemagne "making" thousands of people Catholic by sprinkling/baptizing them as infants.

Would you like to talk about the fact that about 75% of the rites, rituals and practices of the RCC have nothing to do with anything in the Bible?

Would you like to talk about the money-driven agenda that led the RCC to demand that priests not marry - but the church apparently didn't decide that was God's will until about 1100 AD?

Would you like to discuss how the non-Biblical mandate of Celibate Priests has led thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) of priests to seek to satisfy their sexual urges in completely horrific ways?

Please, let's talk at length about why so many people are seeing the RCC for what it really is.
*LOL* You are seriously bringing up practices from the 8th century?

And thanks, but I don't have to prove my knowledge of Catholicism to anyone. The fact that you weren't even aware of the 3 Sacraments of Initiation says all I need to know about you and your "knowledge".

Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
*LOL* You are seriously bringing up practices from the 8th century?

And thanks, but I don't have to prove my knowledge of Catholicism to anyone. The fact that you weren't even aware of the 3 Sacraments of Initiation says all I need to know about you and your "knowledge".
How about you stop ASSuming what I do or don't know about your 7 Sacraments? We'll start with that.

Then let's move on to discuss some of these things you REFUSE to discuss because you're SCARED to talk about them. And it's likely that you're scared to talk about them, because deep down in your soul, you actually know that we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the atrocities foisted against humanity in the name of the Pope.

Did you know that "Confirmation" is nowhere mentioned in the Bible? But the RCC claims it's a Sacrament? And did you that nowhere in the Bible is there ANYTHING mentioned about sprinkling babies and calling it Baptism (baptize actually means to "dip" or "immerse" or "overwhelm"), yet the RCC claims it's a Sacrament? Interesting that it wasn't until the 8th Century that infant sprinkling became the normal mode of baptism (let's do that face-palm thing again, shall we?!?!).

Scary stuff, if you can allow yourself to ask honest questions.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,500,446 times
Given the history of the Roman Catholic Church ... past and present ... it's no wonder so many people are leaving that group and migrating to other religions ... and why the public opion regarding the "church" has become more negative than before.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
The Church needs to cleansed and this is a go way to go about it. Gays, pedofiles and luke warm christians need to go. The Church will remain long after everyone on this forum today is dead.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Given the history of the Roman Catholic Church ... past and present ... it's no wonder so many people are leaving that group and migrating to other religions ... and why the public opion regarding the "church" has become more negative than before.
Anti-Catholic sentiments are nothing new, and it's obvious why. Before the Reformation, people in Europe who disagreed with anything the RCC said or did, lost their lives. The anti-Catholic sentiments were there, but people either kept them to themselves or paid with their lives.

King Henry VIII - a fine pig of a king - succeeded in breaking England away from the RCC because there was so much hatred of the Catholic Church. Even his daughter Bloody Mary was not able to break the Anglican Church, and return England to Catholicism, despite murdering THOUSANDS of Protestants.

In the modern world, the RCC cannot just exterminate people who disagree. And it's not going so well...

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,508,870 times
This is not suprising. People are starting to finally see the catholic church for what it is, a cult with a lot of members. Once you get past all the pagentry, costumes, smoke and whatnot, all you're left with are old celibate men who want to guilt people into being as miserable as they are.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
How about you stop ASSuming what I do or don't know about your 7 Sacraments? We'll start with that.

Then let's move on to discuss some of these things you REFUSE to discuss because you're SCARED to talk about them. And it's likely that you're scared to talk about them, because deep down in your soul, you actually know that we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the atrocities foisted against humanity in the name of the Pope.

Did you know that "Confirmation" is nowhere mentioned in the Bible? But the RCC claims it's a Sacrament? And did you that nowhere in the Bible is there ANYTHING mentioned about sprinkling babies and calling it Baptism (baptize actually means to "dip" or "immerse" or "overwhelm"), yet the RCC claims it's a Sacrament? Interesting that it wasn't until the 8th Century that infant sprinkling became the normal mode of baptism (let's do that face-palm thing again, shall we?!?!).

Scary stuff, if you can allow yourself to ask honest questions.
Oh, I see. You are just a standard anti-Catholic bigot. Sorry but if you were familiar with the Sacraments you wouldn't have pointed simply to baptism as what constitutes being a Catholic.

The current horrible controversies aside you are of the ilk that believes that Catholics aren't really Christians. I see. Well I certainly am not going to justify my religion to you, especially one that has been around longer than any other institutionalized Christian sect.

You are more than free to peruse my posts to see that I in no way justify many of the things that the Catholic Church does. In fact, I aim to hold the Church accountable and sharing the fact not all Catholics condone what the men who run the Church do.

But trust me. You have ZERO to teach me about Catholicism. ZERO.

Quote:
Anti-Catholic sentiments are nothing new, and it's obvious why. Before the Reformation, people in Europe who disagreed with anything the RCC said or did, lost their lives. The anti-Catholic sentiments were there, but people either kept them to themselves or paid with their lives.

King Henry VIII - a fine pig of a king - succeeded in breaking England away from the RCC because there was so much hatred of the Catholic Church. Even his daughter Bloody Mary was not able to break the Anglican Church, and return England to Catholicism, despite murdering THOUSANDS of Protestants.

In the modern world, the RCC cannot just exterminate people who disagree. And it's not going so well...
Boy, you certainly can't wrap your head around a church being both a religious and political institution can you? The Catholic Church was the political power of Europe for centuries. For some little backwater church with only a modern history (if it has much of a history at all), the kind of tension between politics and religion that the Catholic Church dealt with has never presented itself.

Last edited by helenejen; 06-02-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,988,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
And sides with Nazis and tells women they can't have abortions even if they've been raped or to save their lives and campaigns against birth control and supports pols who vote against preschool funding and maternity leave . . .

The leadership has behaved abominably. I feel sorry for good Catholics caught up in the backlash. But the church can hardly complain about backlash when their own actions have proved so repulsive.
Well there were Nazis that were catholic just as there were those fighting the nazis that were catholic. In addition there is no concrete evidence the pope sided with the Nazis. Even Jewish websites out there state this. He did not denounce the Nazis in public yet privately he instructed catholic institutions to hide Jews from the Nazis.
Pope Pius XII and the Holocaust

)f course I dont agree with everything the catholic church still.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,006,951 times
Quote:
Wrong. It is 100% true. Absolutely, completely, undeniably true.

There are a lot of people - probably millions - who on paper are Catholic, but they are in no way shape or form Christian. Period.
By that logic, there are a lot of people, probably millions - who on paper are Christian, but they are in now way shape or form Christian.

For centuries, Catholics were the only Christians around - until Martin Luther started the reformation. The movement was a protest against the Catholic church and its excesses - that's why the alternative Christians became known as Protestants.

Are people really this incredibly ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies