Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM

679 posts, read 661,206 times

Advertisements

One thing I will never understand about this country is its blazing ignorance when it comes to guns and the gun market. Firstly let me state that anyone who takes such a radically pro-gun stance that they oppose instruments such as the potential arms trade treaty have no right to complain about things such as drug cartels. The reason is because of how inter-linked both issues are.

The drug cartels run an operation with the United States and Canada as their prime consumer markets. With drug operation worth billions in areas such as LA, NYC and Chicago it is safe to say that these operations are not going away anytime soon due to the demand for drugs to begin with. It is simple economics people, when there is a demand for a product the consumer will get it one way or another.

Back on to the issue of guns now. The drug cartels operate heavily among the US border for purposes of transferring drugs into the States however they also operate among the border to deal weapons into Mexico from the United States to carry out their horrific crimes and violence that we see today. Now before I get an onslaught from the right wing nuts here, let me state that I am for a competent citizen to own a firearm for protection. However at the rate in which firearms are becoming available, especially in state such as Texas and Arizona, the cartels have easy access to such weapons. They hire people to cross the border legally and smuggle them back any way they could.

Now what can we do to combat such an issue? Instruments such as the UN Arms Trade Treaty would help encourage regional work to enforce proper arms transfer and record keeping of arms purchases and as well to combat illicit brokering of arms. Working more cooperatively with the Mexican government on this issue would be extremely beneficial to the violence going on across the border.

The fact we have right wing screaming bloody murder against instruments such as the Arms Trade Treaty is absurd, especially when they complain about the need to protect themselves from increasing violence. Allowing weapons to freely flow without any accountability will only lead to more violence.

I would suggest to the senate that in order to help ensure not only the security of the USA but also the regional security of central America, that we as a nation look to take steps towards ratifying instruments, such as the Arms Trade Treaty, in order to help reduce the flow of illicit weapons across the border between Mexico and us. The instrument in no way bans or restricts ownership of weapons, it merely requires more transparency in weapons purchases and ownership. The only ones I would see who would have a problem with this is the lobby of the weapons manufacturers and their worries of gun sales to fuel criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
One thing I will never understand about this country is its blazing ignorance when it comes to guns and the gun market. Firstly let me state that anyone who takes such a radically pro-gun stance that they oppose instruments such as the potential arms trade treaty have no right to complain about things such as drug cartels. The reason is because of how inter-linked both issues are.

The drug cartels run an operation with the United States and Canada as their prime consumer markets. With drug operation worth billions in areas such as LA, NYC and Chicago it is safe to say that these operations are not going away anytime soon due to the demand for drugs to begin with. It is simple economics people, when there is a demand for a product the consumer will get it one way or another.

Back on to the issue of guns now. The drug cartels operate heavily among the US border for purposes of transferring drugs into the States however they also operate among the border to deal weapons into Mexico from the United States to carry out their horrific crimes and violence that we see today. Now before I get an onslaught from the right wing nuts here, let me state that I am for a competent citizen to own a firearm for protection. However at the rate in which firearms are becoming available, especially in state such as Texas and Arizona, the cartels have easy access to such weapons. They hire people to cross the border legally and smuggle them back any way they could.

Now what can we do to combat such an issue? Instruments such as the UN Arms Trade Treaty would help encourage regional work to enforce proper arms transfer and record keeping of arms purchases and as well to combat illicit brokering of arms. Working more cooperatively with the Mexican government on this issue would be extremely beneficial to the violence going on across the border.

The fact we have right wing screaming bloody murder against instruments such as the Arms Trade Treaty is absurd, especially when they complain about the need to protect themselves from increasing violence. Allowing weapons to freely flow without any accountability will only lead to more violence.

I would suggest to the senate that in order to help ensure not only the security of the USA but also the regional security of central America, that we as a nation look to take steps towards ratifying instruments, such as the Arms Trade Treaty, in order to help reduce the flow of illicit weapons across the border between Mexico and us. The instrument in no way bans or restricts ownership of weapons, it merely requires more transparency in weapons purchases and ownership. The only ones I would see who would have a problem with this is the lobby of the weapons manufacturers and their worries of gun sales to fuel criminal activity.
What about the fact that Liberal cities with strict firearm laws have the highest murder rates.....guns don't kill people, people do..... you have to change the culture in a society

I do understand that their are criminals who are willing to sell these firearms illegally to gangs, drug runners etc. and that is a problem but we are going about this the wrong way

I had to respond, because you seem to blame Texas and Arizona (red states) for this but they are only a small part of the problem.

What about the fast and furious program done by the Dems? That brought many illegal firearms to the cartels...
"Fast And Furious" Just Might Be President Obama's Watergate - Forbes

Not just a right wing problem.....

Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Mexico has decriminalized all drugs but keeps guns illegal and it's the country with the problem.

The USA has legal guns and our homicide rates are at all time lows -- to 1911 levels. Obviously prohibition of guns and ammunition is not working. As long as Mexico keeps weapons illegal, it promotes the black market sales of them and weapon trafficking.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I read with interest your position until you got the U.N. involved. Sorry, but the gun debate and the debate over allowing the U.N. any say in the U.S. is two different arguement.

You can convince me that we should do something. You will never convince we should agree to have the U.N. do something.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default thread fail

The OP's thread should be re-titled to: the Hypocrisy of the US Government: drugs and guns. Afterall, the statists in the federal government want to outlaw that to the average citizen which they illegally traffik themselves.

Why is it so difficult for the OP to recognize and point out the hypocrisy of the Obama administration in regard to the DEA laundering drug money and traffiking firearms and grenades to Mexican Drug Cartels while Sec. Clinton is signing the UN Arms Trade Treaty?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The OP's thread should be re-titled to: the Hypocrisy of the US Government: drugs and guns. Afterall, the statists in the federal government want to outlaw that to the average citizen which they illegally traffik themselves.

Why is it so difficult for the OP to recognize and point out the hypocrisy of the Obama administration in regard to the DEA laundering drug money and traffiking firearms and grenades to Mexican Drug Cartels while Sec. Clinton is signing the UN Arms Trade Treaty?
The OP is simply proposing that our government do the same thing that nearly every other totalitarian, socialiast/communist government has done. Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, the People's Republic of China, and now Venezuela all banned or severly restricted private firearms ownership in order to ensure the security of the ruling elite. He's simply proposing that we be next. Why is that suprising?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

What Treaty and when did she sign it?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I read with interest your position until you got the U.N. involved. Sorry, but the gun debate and the debate over allowing the U.N. any say in the U.S. is two different arguement.

You can convince me that we should do something. You will never convince we should agree to have the U.N. do something.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Maybe the USA should stop selling M-16s to the mexican military... then we wouldn't be arming the cartels anymore.

Bullets are a possible exception, but only Obama and Eric Holder believe that American gun stores are arming mexican dug cartels... Of course they also tried to "help it along" to sell their agenda too.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM

679 posts, read 661,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The OP is simply proposing that our government do the same thing that nearly every other totalitarian, socialiast/communist government has done. Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, the People's Republic of China, and now Venezuela all banned or severly restricted private firearms ownership in order to ensure the security of the ruling elite. He's simply proposing that we be next. Why is that suprising?
Read the provisions of the Arms Trade Treaty and tell me where it says this? It sounds like you are doing nothing but blowing hot air.

Protip: Look at the text of the Treaty (It is online) don't throw some bull**** article from fox news or the NRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies