Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

I can't say as I remember just 4 channels. I remember about 10 or 12.

My dad got cable by the time I was five, but when I visited mom, it was over the air for a long time.

What I remember was when TV went off. Midnight or 1AM the national anthem played, and then, static. I remember thats when infomercials started after that, then 24hr news and other channels....

Now its all entertainment, all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I remember the four black and white channels.

Anyone else remember the test pattern that came on after midnight?
Living about 3o miles north of Toronto- One of our primary stations came out of Buffalo..at the end of the broadcast day you would see the profile of the Indian appear...and that nasty high pitched sound that reminded you to get up and turn the thing off...I actually remember as a kid the first TV in the neighborhood..We would get a few kitchen chairs and drag them over to the neighbors front yard- my brothers and sister and I would sit and watch TV without sound---I wonder what the neighbors thought of a bunch of kids looking into their window?

The old black and white TVs were tube driven--Once we got our own TV...if we watched to much my dad would sabotage the set- by yanking and hiding a tube...we would say "Pappa the TV does not work"---He would play stupid and then we would go out on the lake to fish.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Yes. And if there was nothing on we went to play or read a book. What a novel concept. We had 2, 5, 7, and 9. Until I was 15. Then we had more channels..and UHF. Then...a VCR. Then cable..

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
And before the test pattern came this, or a version of it:

High Flight - Lockheed F-104 Version (Color) - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sounds like you would prefer that Joe Idiot from Stupidville be an AGW lemming. There are millions of them out there. It also sounds like you prefer to hear opinions that agree with yours.
Actually, the point here was that the internet can make people believe they are far smarter than they actually are. It's the Joe Idiots who think they know more about medical conditions, climate change, evolution and a hundred other topics that people like scientists and doctors have spent their lives mastering. There are quite a few here who think they know more than they do because they are parroting some talk show host's lies.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 3,474 times
I remember the days of 4 channels, and times were better then. Sometimes, I think there was more to watch back then than there is now. The advent of reality tv like Survivor and the kardashians has really soured programming and turned audiences into bubble brains.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
That is for sure! I remember the four channels well and it was just black and white too! They were real dramatic shows with messages or game shows where people actually had to think a little.... not just stupid reality based shows or violent police shows like we have today.
Who remembers the game show, "Beat The Clock"?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I remember the four black and white channels.

Anyone else remember the test pattern that came on after midnight?

After the National Anthem was played.

It had that beeeeeeeeeeeep. to wake you up and go to bed.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Yes, and I also remember two. CBS and NBC. I am sure the other channels were there but we could only get two way back then in the North Carolina mountains. And one was fuzzy. That was 56 years ago. It certainly made choosing what to watch a lot less complicated. And I agree with the person who said there were much better programs back then.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,309 times
Monday night 8PM Ripleys
tuesday night Simon and Simon
Wed night The Fall Guy
thurs Magnum PI
Fri Dukes
Sat TJ Hooker
Sun that's incredible

throw in Night Rider and The A team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies