Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,227,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't agree with someone so you tell them to leave the country.
Gee, that's mature.

Funny how you never compare the US with developed countries.
You don't do "sarcasm" very well. Maturity?

....are you saying that the US is not a "developed" country? Are you the perfect "America hater",....or just an average liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post

My own opinion is that in every case where a man is found to be wrongfully convicted, they must look back at the record and punish the prosecutor. Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, month for month, year for year, and death for death.

Restitution money should come out of the prosecutors own pocket, and the debt should not be able to be discharged in bankruptcy, even if it means he loses his home.

The prosecutor should also be permanently disbarred.

If it sounds like I have a dislike for prosecutors, it's because I do. There never has existed a more dishonorable profession than one who makes his living robbing people of life, liberty, and property.
I'm sure there are cases of honest mistakes ...and in those cases, some of the above (IMO) shouldn't apply... I also think they are few and far between

Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,711,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Just wondering how many people here have thought about this the same way I have.

When someone is found guilty of a crime he or she did not commit, and later exonerated, it usually makes headlines. Stories of a paltry sum paid out in restitution, and how the person is glad it's over with and ready to be restored to liberty.

What does not very often get mentioned, however, is how the person came to be wrongfully convicted. To me, the answer is obvious. Someone had to be lying somewhere. The biggest liar of them all would be the prosecution, yet there never seems to be any call to hold them accountable for robbing an innocent of precious years of his life, years that can never be reclaimed.

Whether he "believed" in his cause is irrelevant. Whether he believed the defendant was guilty is irrelevant. What matters is that an innocent was convicted based on his convincing a jury that he was guilty.

My own opinion is that in every case where a man is found to be wrongfully convicted, they must look back at the record and punish the prosecutor. Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, month for month, year for year, and death for death.

Restitution money should come out of the prosecutors own pocket, and the debt should not be able to be discharged in bankruptcy, even if it means he loses his home.

The prosecutor should also be permanently disbarred.

If it sounds like I have a dislike for prosecutors, it's because I do. There never has existed a more dishonorable profession than one who makes his living robbing people of life, liberty, and property.
Good point! I would also say that this can also apply to unlawful arrests and/or not guilty verdicts. Yes, a non-guilty verdict is justice, but why did it get that far in the first place? The prosecution (and some defense) attorneys are always looking for a plea bargain. The things that people will do to get a conviction are alarming!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Take the icing off the cake. So many prosecutors use their office to stair step there way up into politics. Make a rule they cannot run for office for at least two years after leaving that position. Increase the pay and raise the bar for performance and increase the penalties for misconduct.

Equals less reason to railroad someone to prison,An innocent person's life is not destroyed, the general public doesn't have to pay for imprisoning an innocent person and then maybe compensation later.AND we keep a SCUMBAG out of our political sysytem.
The prosecutor in my loved one's case (who was falsely accused BTW) Was overheard saying she didn't care whether "Mr. X" is innocent or guilty...she just wanted a win with so little evidence because it would be good for her career. That is a problem IMO. They damn well should care.
She was also overheard telling the witness to say something they both knew was untrue for rebuttal.
This was all brought to the judge who did nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies