Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

There are few single guys my age with out kids who blew through a lot more money than I did raising kids. Quite a bit of what they spent their money on is in the scrap yard or gathering dust in storage. What remains of their income is a bunch of archaic and obsolete remnants from the last thirty years.
I came from an extremely large family ( larger than a baseball team) my father worked a not so glamorous job, and all of us have post high school educations ( some with masters degrees) we were not on assistance and when my father retired nearly thirty years ago he had over a quarter of a million dollars for his retirement. I don't know how he did it ( possibly taking advantage of the stock market from the 40's to the late 1970's) but he set the bar pretty high for his children. Not having kids for financial reasons is a cop out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are few single guys my age with out kids who blew through a lot more money than I did raising kids. Quite a bit of what they spent their money on is in the scrap yard or gathering dust in storage. What remains of their income is a bunch of archaic and obsolete remnants from the last thirty years."""""

Wait a minute! Is it in storage and saved OR in the landfill? How do you know? Do you search their homes and determine the value of their possessions??? WHERE IS YOUR STUFF!!!!! You NEVER bought anything!!!
You think thier taste and habits should be YOUR taste and habits???LOLOLOL!

"""I came from an extremely large family ( larger than a baseball team) my father worked a not so glamorous job, and all of us have post high school educations ( some with masters degrees) we were not on assistance and when my father retired nearly thirty years ago he had over a quarter of a million dollars for his retirement. I don't know how he did it ( possibly taking advantage of the stock market from the 40's to the late 1970's) but he set the bar pretty high for his children. Not having kids for financial reasons is a cop out.
Horsefeathers!

No, it's not a cop out....it's a REASON! One of many that humans are FREE to use in their decisions on their lives!!!

This may come as a huge shock but not everyone is YOU, not everyone's situation is the same as YOURS, not everyone is as willing as your parents to give up things to raise kids, not everyone has the same interests as YOU.....

Not everyone is YOU.....can you understand that????

Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Horsefeathers!

No, it's not a cop out....it's a REASON! One of many that humans are FREE to use in their decisions on their lives!!!

This may come as a huge shock but not everyone is YOU, not everyone's situation is the same as YOURS, not everyone is as willing as your parents to give up things to raise kids, not everyone has the same interests as YOU.....

Not everyone is YOU.....can you understand that????
lovely..looks like I hit a nerve , perfect
If you don't want kids ,big deal, but is it a cop out to say there is a reason other than you just don't want kids.

Like it would be a cop out for me to say the reason I can't have a dog is ; I travel, or I live in an apartment that doesn't allow animals or I like to wear black and don't like animals hairs on my clothes or I cant afford the vet bills and boarding cost ,don't have time to train one properly... The truth is I just don't get the whole dog thing.. and I don't like dogs.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I think the only folks who talk about kids like dollar signs are those that don't have em and cherish em. Can't put a price on your kids.
And no one has , it's common sense about what kids costs and not everyone has the money OR THE INTEREST!

Ya, their food, home, electricity, heat, clothes , schooling costs, transportation, toys, sporting equipment, computers, cell phones, haircuts, doctors, dentists...it's all free if you just "cherish" them ... RIGHT?

So just pop them out willy nilly and never worry about THEIR needs...just yours....

Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
lovely..looks like I hit a nerve , perfect
If you don't want kids ,big deal, but is it a cop out to say there is a reason other than you just don't want kids.

Like it would be a cop out for me to say the reason I can't have a dog is ; I travel, or I live in an apartment that doesn't allow animals or I like to wear black and don't like animals hairs on my clothes or I cant afford the vet bills and boarding cost ,don't have time to train one properly... The truth is I just don't get the whole dog thing.. and I don't like dogs.
Looks like someone is terribly defensive Guilty conscience?

You make it sound like you have an OBLIGATION to have a dog or a kid(same thing to you?).

You aren't under any obligation to have either and don't need either a reason OR a cop out..

Old 06-09-2012, 03:15 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
No kids for me, because in order to raise them in the way I feel proper (by paying for their college educations, music lessons, braces, etc), I can't see affording it. Absolutely I could move into an apartment and refuse to pay for higher education and afford 10 kids, but I don't think that's right. I really like my life now, so I don't feel like anything big is missing. If I did, I'd probably be selfish enough to cut corners and bring a kid into the world and not give them those things so many consider extras...but as it stands, I won't be doing it.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
If one makes $8-$10 an hour and needs government assistance to raise a family, then they shouldn't have children. Birth control and condoms are much cheaper.

I live in an area where pretty much every job pays $8-$10 an hour. It seems like all anyone does is breed and collect welfare. I have even some people with kids QUIT their jobs and collect welfare, Medicaid, WIC, Section 8, and food stamps. I don't have kids and have to work my butt off. People with kids should be expected to work unless a person can afford to stay home WITHOUT TAXPAYER ASSISTANCE. It should not be the job of taxpayer to subsidize someone else's sexual activities.

By all means, if you are married and your combined income is good, then having a kids is a personal choice.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
But, but, but.... what are you going to do the next 30 some years of your
life.... At 50, I'd say unless you really hate your job, retirement might get old, very fast.

Why would retirement get old?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I feel sorry for the folks who have to fund children through their college years and even weddings.

Golly by not having children one could probably retire by the age of 50.
In a 2 income household, yes. I don't have any kids, but I'm glad not everyone is like me. Part of the reason why Europe is in debt over it's eyeballs (and America isn't far behind) is because birth rates there are low and now there are too many old people and not enough young people to support them. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why would retirement get old?
Some guys handle retirement poorly. They don't know how to keep busy. They can get bored and depressed. Their identity is so tied up in their work, they don't know how to relax and enjoy not having work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies