Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,236,593 times

Advertisements

That which powers our civilization is derived from the sun, or our parental star, whose nova created the heavier elements that compose our planet.
At this time, we're consuming prodigious amounts of a finite, irreplaceable resource made of accretions of solar input, aka fossil fuels. (Coal, Petroleum, Peat, etc).

No matter which economic argument is advanced to justify it, there is no such things as "cheap and plentiful" fossil fuels. Consuming them to the point that they are no longer accessible, is patently short sighted, and irresponsible. Once consumed, from that point onward, future generations will be deprived of them. Is that what we wish to endow our children's children with?

What does it take to persuade people to realize that it is inherently wiser to only use PRESENT solar input (sunlight, wind, water, tidal, etc) for our source of power?

And remember, any delay in transition is detrimental to our children's children.

What will that future generation say of us?
Will they question why we hated them that we would place such a burden on them?
Will they be extinct, silent, and not bedevil our thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,480,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

What will that future generation say of us?
A: "What kind of moron said "Drill baby drill"?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
All you have to do is look how many children are being raised by their grandaprents to see that they don't care in many cases. They follow anyhting that some slesman tells them as long as he says your getting something for freee and someone else will pay. Buit I thnik they will see that in about foru years it will start to effect them when they endup in the government housing and lines.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM

I was hoping that someone would post other ideas in support of the basic thesis: that only by altering our current behavior can we survive and prosper.

Suggested Tactics:
[] Strongly support and implement alternative sustainable sources of power - solar, wind, water, etc.
[] Encourage conservation and reduction of energy consumption for shelter, transportation, food production, etc.
[] Penalize consumption of fossil fuels.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,592,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I was hoping that someone would post other ideas in support of the basic thesis: that only by altering our current behavior can we survive and prosper.

Suggested Tactics:
[] Strongly support and implement alternative sustainable sources of power - solar, wind, water, etc.
[] Encourage conservation and reduction of energy consumption for shelter, transportation, food production, etc.
[] Penalize consumption of fossil fuels.
You assume that we would agree with you basic thesis. I personally feel the main threat to my grandchildren comes in the form of tree huggers and the politicians that they support.

There is no man made global warming, and if you stop to look long enough without your rose colored glasses you will see those who are screaming the loudest about needing to stop global warming are those who are making the most money from the global warming industry.

But, I am probably wasting my time here anyway with these words so I will leave you with a suggestion.

If you are so worried about what will happen to your children's children because of what we are doing today..... don't have any kids, then you don't have to feel bad.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
You assume that we would agree with you basic thesis. I personally feel the main threat to my grandchildren comes in the form of tree huggers and the politicians that they support.

There is no man made global warming, and if you stop to look long enough without your rose colored glasses you will see those who are screaming the loudest about needing to stop global warming are those who are making the most money from the global warming industry.

But, I am probably wasting my time here anyway with these words so I will leave you with a suggestion.

If you are so worried about what will happen to your children's children because of what we are doing today..... don't have any kids, then you don't have to feel bad.
In review of the original post, I see no mention of global warming.
There is only a reference to foolish consumption of irreplaceable resources - fossil fuels.

Perhaps you accidentally replied to the wrong message...

Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
As trolls go I give this one 0.4 out of 10. It's just to obvious.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Oil reserves in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proven oil reserves in the United States are 21 billion barrels (3.3×10^9 m3), excluding the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The U.S. Department of the Interior estimates the total volume of undiscovered, technically recoverable prospective resources in all areas of the United States, including the Federal Outer Continental Shelf, the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, the National Petroleum Reserve–Alaska, and the Bakken Formation, total 134 billion barrels (21.3×10^9 m3) of crude oil. This excludes oil shale reserves, as there is no significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States.
1 billion barrels of oil = one month U.S. consumption (2007)
TOTAL OIL RESERVES = 134 months (11 years)

Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,793 times
Off topic, but your thread title reminded me of a favorite joke:

Why do grandparents and grandkids get along so well?............................................. ................................
.................................................. .................................
.................................................. .................................
They have a common enemy!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,789 times
Because children shouldnt be having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies