Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Some of what you say here is commendable, but I still sense you're still meddling in other ppl's lives. Gays should have the same rights as anyone in this country. Their marriages have no effect on my marriage. They should have to hide themselves away in their bedrooms either.

I'm really confused, I see heterosexuals push their sexuality and behaviour into everyone's face everywhere you look. No that I watch those trash reality shows, but are the Housewives shows, Jersey Shores, even Survivor based largely on selling heterosexual sexuality into your face. Every movie they make today. Almost every commercial on tv is selling sex. Spring break. Even the radio is full of sexual innuendo.

All that is somehow normal, but heaven forbid two gays might hold hands, hug or kiss each other in public. Really? Would you be offended if your gay friends hugged and kissed a bit too long in front of you? Would you order them to stop? Would you defriend them?

Is so, why? If no, why can you condone their behaviour yet criticize the behaviour of strangers? Are you threatened by displays of gay sexuality in all cases?

I cannot understand why religious nut jobs feel they have a superior platform, that they possess some special right to dictate what everyone else can and cannot do. Whether it is in their bedroom or out in public, as long as someone isn't breaking a law, NOBODY should be dictating behaviour.
Bravo!! Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
It has a whole lot to do with how I feel God intended us to live and it is personal for me as it should be for everyone else.
So the entirety of society has to live by your interpretation of what god intended? How arrogant!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because I can tell you've never studied the detailed nuances of the verses you are depending on for your view, otherwise you wouldn't take such a closed-minded stance on it.
And you can't say the same thing to me. My views have already done a 180, as I used to be very conservative until I actually studied the Bible in original language, context, and culture and stopped listening to Conservative religious propaganda.

You did? Which "original language" do you refer to, because arguably there has been more than one? How did you compare the King James version we have now?

TIA

Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't believe, and it is important that "ALL" christains, realize this with an open mind and heart...

You DO come off very condiscending...with a holier then though attitude. I was married once, a long long time ago to a so called Christain, who was extremely condiscending, and whenever you'd say something to him that he didn't have an answer for, he'd give you this look, and then say, "I'll pray for you" in a very judgemental tone.

You need to get and keep YOUR OWN house in order, and stop worrying about everyone else and what they are doing with their lives. It's none of your business, really. It is what it is and you won't and can't change people and their belief system. Just like we cannot change the belief system of people in the mid-east...although we try. If you look back in history, religion was the destoryer and beginnings of many wars...b/c we invaded other lands and tried to ram our beliefs down the throats of a perfectly working culture, that we called barbarians. If you also look back in history, "the church" was then leading communities and called anyone who didn't embrace their beliefs barbarians. And they burned many many women "alive" at the stake calling them witches, simply because they had an opinion that they vocalized and went against the church. Man made orgainzied religions are what kept people from progression and were and are extremly primitive in nature. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the Catholic religion and how many men of the cloth sexually abused children, children mind you? Disgusting, that any faith would actually believe that all these men could remain celebate????? That is one big big shoe to fill for a man. Yes, there are a few I believe that could do this, but not many...for certain. When are people going to realize the truth about religions? Faith is wonderful and the Bible is a great book to live one's life by, however, it was written by "Men" and released by Men, meaning....at one time, only the Priests were allowed to read the Bible, and no one else.

So what I'm saying in all of this, is....keep your faith close to your hearts and live your lives by example. It is not your job, to decide what others are allowed to think and feel. It is your job though, to be a working Christian, which means, get your own house in order and let others alone, as they're belief is between them and their God...and none of your business what goes on in their house, Period.

POST OF THE DAY. written by a true Christian.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM

49 posts, read 28,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

You need to get and keep YOUR OWN house in order, and stop worrying about everyone else and what they are doing with their lives. It's none of your business, really. It is what it is and you won't and can't change people and their belief system. Just like we cannot change the belief system of people in the mid-east...although we try. If you look back in history, religion was the destoryer and beginnings of many wars...b/c we invaded other lands and tried to ram our beliefs down the throats of a perfectly working culture, that we called barbarians. If you also look back in history, "the church" was then leading communities and called anyone who didn't embrace their beliefs barbarians. And they burned many many women "alive" at the stake calling them witches, simply because they had an opinion that they vocalized and went against the church. Man made orgainzied religions are what kept people from progression and were and are extremly primitive in nature. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the Catholic religion and how many men of the cloth sexually abused children, children mind you? Disgusting, that any faith would actually believe that all these men could remain celebate????? That is one big big shoe to fill for a man. Yes, there are a few I believe that could do this, but not many...for certain. When are people going to realize the truth about religions? Faith is wonderful and the Bible is a great book to live one's life by, however, it was written by "Men" and released by Men, meaning....at one time, only the Priests were allowed to read the Bible, and no one else.

So what I'm saying in all of this, is....keep your faith close to your hearts and live your lives by example. It is not your job, to decide what others are allowed to think and feel. It is your job though, to be a working Christian, which means, get your own house in order and let others alone, as they're belief is between them and their God...and none of your business what goes on in their house, Period.

This is about people part of a homosexual agenda trying to usurp thousands of years of tradition. There's nothing in the constitution that says marriage is a right. It's a privilege granted by the states. The federal government has nothing to do with it. The will of the majority of the people is: NO TO HOMOSEXUAL marriage. If you don't like it move to another country, but don't force the American people to accept your filthy perversions. If gay marriage were put to a vote in the rest of the states it will be struck down.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanAmerican View Post
This is about people part of a homosexual agenda trying to usurp thousands of years of tradition. There's nothing in the constitution that says marriage is a right. It's a privilege granted by the states. The federal government has nothing to do with it. The will of the majority of the people is: NO TO HOMOSEXUAL marriage. If you don't like it move to another country, but don't force the American people to accept your filthy perversions.
Really?

There are a lot of benefits that heterosexual couples get that homosexual couples do not. I think we've been through this about 100 times already.

Oh and the definition of "traditional" marriage: we've been through that about 1000 times already.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
This is about people part of a anti-slavery agenda trying to usurp thousands of years of tradition.
Fixed it For You.

Quote:
There's nothing in the constitution that says marriage is a right. It's a privilege granted by the states. The federal government has nothing to do with it.
According to SCOTUS, it most certainly is. Not all rights are enumerated in the Constitution. In fact, some objected to including the Bill of Rights in there, not because they objected to the rights listed, but because they were afraid people like you would come along and declare if it's not listed, it's not covered.

Seems they had a point.

Quote:
The will of the majority of the people is: NO TO HOMOSEXUAL marriage. If you don't like it move to another country, but don't force the American people to accept your filthy perversions.
Civil Rights are not subject to popular vote. You ARE on the losing side on this issue, it's not a matter of if, merely when. When that day comes, don't go away angry. Just go away. Really, no need to wait.

One persons perversion is another's pleasure. You do not get to determine that for others.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
This is about people part of a homosexual agenda trying to usurp thousands of years of tradition. There's nothing in the constitution that says marriage is a right. It's a privilege granted by the states. The federal government has nothing to do with it. The will of the majority of the people is: NO TO HOMOSEXUAL marriage. If you don't like it move to another country, but don't force the American people to accept your filthy perversions. If gay marriage were put to a vote in the rest of the states it will be struck down.
There is something in the Constitution that says that if the government is going to extend a "privilege" to one person than that same "privilege" must be granted to everyone else in an equal manner. What the Constitution does not have are exceptions based on religious texts or majority opinion to this requirement that everyone be treated equally.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Where is HistorianDude when you need him? Yes marriage is a right, according to the SCOTUS

Here, found it:

Quote:
These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U. S. 535, 316 U. S. 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U. S. 190 (1888).
http://supreme.justia.com/cases/fede...88/1/case.html

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-12-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Great points. I've never bought into the idea that just because two consenting adults agree on something, that makes it okay.

Bonnie and Clyde were two consenting adults. That doesn't make what they did okay.
How is 2 people getting married anything at all like 2 people going on a killing spree? With your logic skills, no wonder you are a hater. And religious. Did you choose your religion or did you just go along with what everyone told you to do? Are you still doing that now? Try thinking for yourself once in a while, it can be pretty refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies