Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Lol, the term "owner" is irrelevant to the discussion. The charter school is operated by a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION, WITH SHAREHOLDERS. they take the public's tax dollar and pocket a large percentage of it instead of putting it into the classroom.
You have absolutely nothing to backup that statement. Why do liberals always have to just babble on about things they dont know anything about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Lol, the term "owner" is irrelevant to the discussion. The charter school is operated by a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION, WITH SHAREHOLDERS. they take the public's tax dollar and pocket a large percentage of it instead of putting it into the classroom.
Unlike the school districts and unions today, right?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Well none of the left handed squealers even read the original link to begin with and now are howling about charter schools which has nothing to do with the thread.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Ok, so now you retracted your silly notion that charter schools are "owned" by for profit corporations.

So now lets address your shifting concern. Who cares where the money goes as long as the kids are getting a quality education? If they don't they should be shut down. Public schools should also be subject to the same standard.

Also, you have no data to back up your assertion that a large percentage of operating funds go to pay management companies.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I haven't followed the charter schools. I remember the arguments for the charter schools which were that the public schools were failing. I remember one of the first suggestions was to allow parents of kids in the failing schools to send their kids to better performing suburbs. (as you note, the suburbs have some excellent systems) I never heard anything bad about Avon Lake schools. (We moved from Euclid Ave to the Suburbs, Willoughby, just before I started school).

The unions fought against this. The kids would have still been in public schools. The sad thing was that there were many inner city families that desperately wanted better schools for their kids. The schools weren't bad because of a lack of money. The problem is political nepotism in the school system.
Lol, we moved off Conrad just before I started school, 1957. A.L. has been a top school system. Wife's family is all over your area, wickcliff rd right at eastlake border, I90 and Euclid and everywhere between. Her brother is in the Cleveland Style Polkas HOF in the old Euclid hi school.

I'm hoping this Jackson plan does something for the Cleveland schools.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Sorry, this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ohio law says charter schools — which get about half a billion dollars in state money each year — must be nonprofit. But they can hire for-profit companies to run them. Hasina and Da’ud Abdul Malik Shabazz operated International Preparatory as a business.

Charters Schools Part III: Cashing In on Education | StateImpact Ohio

Seems to me a distinction with no difference. I can see a real problem here also.

Nagorsky says she’s still not sure what happened. She asked a lawyer friend to see about getting her back pay. Small chance, she learned. The couple still owes the state one point four million dollars.

“I’m sure they profited a lot more than any of us,” Nagorsky says.

She says this would never have happened in a regular public school, because too many people are watching.

Two problems actually. It seems these schools were being run pretty much like the public schools. The teacher is wrong though, the Cleveland public schools were being run exactly like this, they just had a much larger pool of money.

Seems to me that people wanted an option and rather than get an actual option a quasi public/private system was set up to allow those with friends to continue to syphon tax payer money out of the system.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ok, so now you retracted your silly notion that charter schools are "owned" by for profit corporations.

So now lets address your shifting concern. Who cares where the money goes as long as the kids are getting a quality education? If they don't they should be shut down. Public schools should also be subject to the same standard.

Also, you have no data to back up your assertion that a large percentage of operating funds go to pay management companies.
No, technically the charter authority, the contracts with the government authorities are "owned" by the management corporation. That is the only thing that is of any value, the key to the taxpayers loot.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Lol, we moved off Conrad just before I started school, 1957. A.L. has been a top school system. Wife's family is all over your area, wickcliff rd right at eastlake border, I90 and Euclid and everywhere between. Her brother is in the Cleveland Style Polkas HOF in the old Euclid hi school.
I roamed that area a lot as a kid. Polka Varieties. LOL

Quote:
I'm hoping this Jackson plan does something for the Cleveland schools.
I'll have to look it up.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
No, technically the charter authority, the contracts with the government authorities are "owned" by the management corporation. That is the only thing that is of any value, the key to the taxpayers loot.
No, ownership of the schools is the key to the loot. Management companies can be kicked out, not the non profits. (unless the star removes them from the program).

Claiming public corruption as providing favoritism for management companies (without a shred of evidence) is weak. If not, perhaps you would agree the teachers unions own public education?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

I just did some reading on them. Seems the lawsuits are going strong. Missing money. A refusal to open the books.(even though this is taxpayer money). My link shows closed doors.

The management company would have the books. Why wouldn't they want to open them up to scrutiny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies