Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM

336 posts, read 450,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sorry, something called the Constutiton standing in your way.
I will homeschool my daughter with or without the states permission.

The Constitution doesn't protect the right to home school your child. What clause do you refer to? Certainly not the first Ammendment.

It only gives you the right to force feed them whatever religious belief you want, until they are old enough to think for themselves, and make their own decisions.

But religious freedom doesn't mean that we can't teach actual facts to children. If we were taking them to school to teach them that you're a crazy religious nutjob, who didn't have a clue what you were talking about, then you might have a point. But that's not the case. Schools teach facts.

Churches and parents, teach beliefs, faith, and religion. Two different things.

All children should be taught actual facts 30 hours a week, from actual trained and educated professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
The Constitution doesn't protect the right to home school your child. What clause do you refer to? Certainly not the first Ammendment.

It only gives you the right to force feed them whatever religious belief you want, until they are old enough to think for themselves, and make their own decisions.

But religious freedom doesn't mean that we can't teach actual facts to children. If we were taking them to school to teach them that you're a crazy religious nutjob, who didn't have a clue what you were talking about, then you might have a point. But that's not the case. Schools teach facts.

All children should be taught actual facts 30 hours a week, from actual trained and educated professionals.
Lol, we have seen how well that has worked out!

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
I completely agree. All children should have to go to the same public schools. That way, everyone is in it togeter, and hopefully everyone would better value education. You know, "one for all, and all for one."

Unfortunately, that isn't the law in the USA, and I don't think it's ever going to change, particularly with our over abundance of church based schools. There's too much money to be made.

So, given the choice of reaching deep, and paying for the private school, or sending my children to the public schools just to make a point, my choice is pretty obvious. Trust me, if the public schools in my area were anywhere near as good as the private schools, I would gladly take advantage of them, and save the money.
Quote:
I beleive it's the flight of students from the more affluent families to private schools, and the development of magnet schools that further skim off the best students from public schools, that are the root of the problem.

And yes, if ALL students had to go to the same public schools, you can bet that the schools in the Bronx would be just as good as any schools in Northern Virginia. Considering all of the money in New York, they might even be better.
Wouldn't that make you part of the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You can believe what you like, however whites who live in affluent towns are not fleeing their schools.

Existing evidence proves you wrong. Public schools in affluent areas of Manhattan are, in general, better than those in poor neighborhoods.

I'd like to see the proof.

It's got little to do with wealth, and a lot to do with environment.

If you were to flip the situation, then you'd see an immediate fall in the performance of the former affluent students, that were suddenly attending the poor schools. And vise versa for the poor students.

All kids deserve the same teaching environment.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Lol, we have seen how well that has worked out!

It's worked out great.

We didn't get to be the greatest Nation in the history of the World in spite of a poor education sysytem.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Wouldn't that make you part of the problem?

Yes, exactly. I've already said back in one of my first posts that I admit that my responsibility to give my children the very best environment and best education is far paramount to my responsibility to prove a point to the right wingnuts.

But, I still recognize that we have a problem, and we need to address it, for the long term benefit of this Country.

The problem is that the majority of parents and students that have opted out of the 'regular' sysytem in favor of private, magnet, or Charter schools will never look back.

They don't care in the least about how to fix the problem, because they're not a part of the system anymore.

That's why pushing everyone back into the same common system would be the only way to fix things. We all have to have a common goal, and common benefits, or it's going to continue to be every family for them selves.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 06-13-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
It's worked out great.

We didn't get to be the greatest Nation in the history of the World in spite of a poor education sysytem.
Actually we have. Our world ranking is scandalous.

Educational Score Performance - Country Rankings

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_793185.html

Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see the proof.

It's got little to do with wealth, and a lot to do with environment.

If you were to flip the situation, then you'd see an immediate fall in the performance of the former affluent students, that were suddenly attending the poor schools. And vise versa for the poor students.

All kids deserve the same teaching environment.
If you would like proof, go to great schools.com, plug in a wealthly zip code, look at the test scores, then do the same with a poorer zip code.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

try the 10th Amendment. the states allow its citizens to homeschool their children, something that falls outside if the central goverments ability. also if you read the Constitution, the 10th Amendment also includes the people in its reading, and the Constitution has always put the people before the state or the federal goverment. so since education is not included in what the federal goverment can do, it is left to the people 1st, the state 2nd and the federal goverment last.

also, i dont force feed my daughter anything to do with religion. dont equate homeschooling with religion, because you will be wrong.

also, schools do not always teachs facts. they teach facts according to what the federal goverment says are the facts. that is not facts.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Which further proves my point.

We were doing fine until we allowed the public schools to be gutted.

No more private, magnet, Charter or home schools.

Check out Finlands ranking on your own propaganda. Are you aware of how they run their sysytem? It's pretty much exactly what I'm advocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies