Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

Just was reading the "3rd Word" thread. No, we are not going to be 3rd world anytime soon, but the current inequality is taking us that direction. Here is a post about the declining median income. I will do another search to learn about the mean income.

I think we all know that this is a trend that has been developing for some time. Where the folks at the top are taking off like a rocket, and the rest of us are going nowhere fast. This is what makes me think that the economic policies that favor the wealthiest, are undermining our country.

U.S. Median Annual Wage Falls To $26,364 As Pessimism Reaches 10-Year High [CORRECTION]

Witness the GINI coefficient, which is a measure of the inequality of income. We are far above all the other western countries, and we may eclipse Mexico soon. Is Mexico becoming a first world country, or?

Stick a fork in it, Reaganomics is done...

Gini coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just was reading the "3rd Word" thread. No, we are not going to be 3rd world anytime soon, but the current inequality is taking us that direction. Here is a post about the declining median income. I will do another search to learn about the mean income.

I think we all know that this is a trend that has been developing for some time. Where the folks at the top are taking off like a rocket, and the rest of us are going nowhere fast. This is what makes me think that the economic policies that favor the wealthiest, are undermining our country.

U.S. Median Annual Wage Falls To $26,364 As Pessimism Reaches 10-Year High [CORRECTION]

Witness the GINI coefficient, which is a measure of the inequality of income. We are far above all the other western countries, and we may eclipse Mexico soon. Is Mexico becoming a first world country, or?

The solution to income inequality is a strong economy and full employment, not income redistribution. That's the choice we face this election.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Keep on giving people food stamps (er, "dignity cards") courtesy by JPMorgan and you'll see the disparity widen.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The solution to income inequality is a strong economy and full employment, not income redistribution. That's the choice we face this election.
Yes, but the Obama worshippers won't see it that way. They view him as the annointed one who can not be questioned, and that's how he views himself. There are those who deep down know that he has not given them anything but will still run out, give up their time to vote for him.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

Wouldn't this be a failure of Obamaeconomics?

He had full control over the legislature for two years. That should be enough time to reduce income inequality.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Making the rich richer by taking from everyone else is the Republican Way as given to them by thier great God Mammon, Prince of Greed and ruling Diety of Wall Street.

Income disparity is a result of long term policy and is not an accident. The resulting strength of the country is irrelevant so long as the wealth becomes more concentrated.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Making the rich richer by taking from everyone else is the Republican Way as given to them by thier great God Mammon, Prince of Greed and ruling Diety of Wall Street.

Income disparity is a result of long term policy and is not an accident.
Why is pro-Obama JPMorgan making money off of the backs of the poor vis-a-vis EBT cards?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Wouldn't this be a failure of Obamaeconomics?

He had full control over the legislature for two years. That should be enough time to reduce income inequality.

This is a joke right?

The current situation was years in the making and anyone who believes that the current president could either wave a magic wand and "fix' things or is solely responsible is naive beyond measure.

And, how do people defend the fact that median income has lowered over the last thirty years when companies have been making money hand over fist and endowning CEOs and others at the top with obscene salaries and other rewards for paying their workforces wages barely above poverty level?

What does this say about us as a country that we are so willing to defend those who treat us like chess pieces to be moved around to satisfy their shareholders?

Seriously.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Sounds to me like the op should have realized that obamanomics isn't working. At all. I don't know about you all but my life and economics has been far better under republican administrations than dem save for the second half of the clinton admin when repubs won congress and forced billy boy to the center.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Why is pro-Obama JPMorgan making money off of the backs of the poor vis-a-vis EBT cards?
Because they can?

It is a disgusting practice. Same with BofA providing UE benefits and charging people to access their own money.
But, "regulation" is a dirty word isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies