Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM

19 posts, read 15,368 times

Advertisements

My friend owns a large landscaping company. He tried hiring lower class uneducated Americans. They often didnt show up to work, made excuses, were lazy! Whats a business owner to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 AM

99 posts, read 68,143 times
Hummmm... truth behind the stereotype?

perhaps

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
By all means break the rules and squash the competition and make as much money as possible or play by the rules and keep looking for good help and pay them a decent wage and dont get to big for your britches

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybarboni View Post
My friend owns a large landscaping company. He tried hiring lower class uneducated Americans. They often didnt show up to work, made excuses, were lazy! Whats a business owner to do?
I guess hire illegals. With our new batch of "guest workers" they don't need no stinking below min salary, under the table cash jobs now. They can walk through the doors of Walmart and ask for an application now.

Your friend just lost a batch of "hard workers" and will have to wait for the next batch of illegals to come into this country to work for cash.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Why do conservatives *itch and moan about immigrants when THEY themselves HIRE THEM to work for them.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 16,673 times
I owned an irrigation company. I had two "American" employees. They would work through lunch, in the rain, etc. digging holes, repairing leaks, in mud, etc. I don't believe I could have had significantly better results with Mexicans. In addition, my guys could communicate with customers completely. ALL of my local competition had Mexican help (legal or illegal?) and this meant I could not compete on bid jobs. In addition, I'm sure that my competitors had a higher profit margin. I was paying my men over $20 per hour. I think this low cost, unclaimed labor is costing this country dearly.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Of course these desperate peons from Mexico will work hard at least until the birth of the baby when they no longer have to work hard.

However if they were such hard workers, why is their own country such a mess that they can no longer live in it?

But it's true -- you tell a Mexican to plow under 5 acres and hand him a shovel, he will get right to work. 4 days later you'll see him out there with that shovel still working away. You tell an American to plow under 5 acres and he's going to ask you where is the tractor and he'll have it done in an hour.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
I wonder if landscape workers, crop workers would be making more money all this illegal immigration from Mexico had been stopped years ago?

White Europeans do their own menial jobs and they get paid good money for it.

You are sort of blaming legal workers here in the USA for not taking jobs that pay dirt, because an illegal thinks that's good money?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastgary2 View Post
I owned an irrigation company. I had two "American" employees. They would work through lunch, in the rain, etc. digging holes, repairing leaks, in mud, etc. I don't believe I could have had significantly better results with Mexicans. In addition, my guys could communicate with customers completely. ALL of my local competition had Mexican help (legal or illegal?) and this meant I could not compete on bid jobs. In addition, I'm sure that my competitors had a higher profit margin. I was paying my men over $20 per hour. I think this low cost, unclaimed labor is costing this country dearly.
and that is probably why you had AMERICAN employees. Many business owner dont want to pay more than min. wage.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
A Mexican migrant with few employment options and unable to collect UE is going to make sure he doesn't do anything to lose their job. I wouldn't confuse desperation with being inherently hard working. Basically your friend wants some sort of indentured servitude.

A more apt comparison would be between American Hispanics vs American non-Hispanics, from this perspective I don't see much of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies