Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times

Advertisements

Look, one reason I am personally well-to-do (not a multimillionaire, but give me time) is that I understand certain things. Like you need to pay yourself first. Like you can't spend what you don't have. Like analyzing the risk/benefit/opportunity cost of every decision.

I am no financial analyst, but when the subprime mortgages first came out, I got confused. I said to my wife, "How does this make any sense? It's going to fold. Why would you give a loan to someone who can't pay it back? Why would you take a loan you have no hope of paying back?" She (an MBA) raised her eyebrows and said, "Yeah. It doesn't make sense."

We saw how that went. I have thought similar things about home equity loans, various types of credit extensions, etc.

Finance is a lot of common sense. Sadly lacking in the general population.

So, yeah...if I had been in charge of things from way back when, a loan would have been next to impossible to get relative to the willy nilly nonsense our politicians pushed for in some desperately stupid bid for political correctness.

And so I am 'smart.' And it will help me 'get rich.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,586,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Now you are on to something......Why do we equate our Countries financial situation to its overall success whenever we want to challenge the current admin.....

Should we consider our country as a large Corp.....Our residents as employees or as stock holders?
It seems like a lot of people do. It seems that we measure our success in life based on wealth and not that I begrudge being wealthy.
When I hear Romney say "Corporations are people too" I cringed. Is that all he is now? Somebody who made millions in the corporate sector? Is there any redeeming quality to him other than that?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,993,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No. One can criticize a decision somebody makes on the court if it's a stupid decision like when Chris Webber called a timeout when they didn't have any in the champ game. Like one can criticize the economic green policy of bammer when they aren't an economist. You think that for some reason these people are above criticism?? I don't think so.
WOW you are not getting what I am saying......First, Webber, yes big mistake calling TO. However, as someone who has never been in March Madness in the Championship game, I can not qualify the things that are happening to you physiologically or mentally. Not can you, unless you where there.

Of course Non econ people can criticize all they want....>They already do......But form a purely self reflective position, I wonder, do they ever ask themselves " who am I to judge"

Don't you wonder that????

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
It seems like a lot of people do. It seems that we measure our success in life based on wealth and not that I begrudge being wealthy.
When I hear Romney say "Corporations are people too" I cringed. Is that all he is now? Somebody who made millions in the corporate sector? Is there any redeeming quality to him other than that?
I always wonder, if a teacher in Idaho make a difference in one kids life and he or she does something great based on that teachers influence, we as a society may never know.......But that teacher knows and that student knows.....That is wealth......That teacher is rich.....They have a voice....

I wish I could verbalize this better but I can not. We seem to be full of opinions on the things we know nothing about......That is a trait of free men.....But one I would never forsake.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

30,363 posts, read 23,827,261 times
Quote:
Now you are on to something......Why do we equate our Countries financial situation to its overall success whenever we want to challenge the current admin.....

Should we consider our country as a large Corp.....Our residents as employees or as stock holders?
Absolutely not. Our government shouldn't be running like a business.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,046,296 times
Quote:
WOW you are not getting what I am saying......First, Webber, yes big mistake calling TO. However, as someone who has never been in March Madness in the Championship game, I can not qualify the things that are happening to you physiologically or mentally. Not can you, unless you where there.

Of course Non econ people can criticize all they want....>They already do......But form a purely self reflective position, I wonder, do they ever ask themselves " who am I to judge"

Don't you wonder that????
So since most of the fans never played in a championship game they can't criticize a player. Can't say what a boneheaded onside kick that coach called because well they were never coaching an NFL team. That makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course your trying to defend the indefensible which is where it appears to be where your trying to take this charade.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So since most of the fans never played in a championship game they can't criticize a player. Can't say what a boneheaded onside kick that coach called because well they were never coaching an NFL team. That makes absolutely no sense. Unless of course your trying to defend the indefensible which is where it appears to be where your trying to take this charade.
Of course they can say it ....They DO say it.......The question is, what makes the avg guy with very little athletic ability ever feel as though he can criticizes a world class athlete?

Same with everything else. I see guys who work for the cable company criticizing Ben Bernanke. Does he deserve it? Sure......does the guy from the cable company know anything about world economic structure? no....

I see joe schmo talk about all the bad things this admin or the last admin has done......do they themselves have any credentials for offering their opinion other than the fact they have been blessed with speech? Nope.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Absolutely not. Our government shouldn't be running like a business.
OK, so then what are the parameters? Limited gov't offering only vital services......How do we differentiated between Fed, State and local and what they can do and not do?

A leviathan structure?

A plutocracy?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,046,296 times
So in your world everybody just sits there and don't talk? I guess so. Will you have opinion police running around to make sure you have the proper ID to chime in on a certain subject? lol

There is a thing called freedom of speech and part of that is one's opinion. If you don't like it you certainly don't have to listen to it.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,927,270 times
Never claimed to be a genius; I do know the proper use of your and you're.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies