U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
 
79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Reputation: 15961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Essentially, it's the crux of what you said.
So that would be a no, you have no desire to actually discuss what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,911,221 times
Reputation: 1114
The SEC has issues, like all of our govt these days. Corruption is rampant. I am not so sure we need the SEC, but the FINRA doesn't convince me they are the way to go.

The offices like the GAO also don't do their job imo, though they have expanded their authority, like the FED. The line between private and public is virtually gone. It is all integrated. How well an agency does it's job is this issue. Seems to be conflict of interest all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
 
79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Reputation: 15961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The SEC has issues, like all of our govt these days. Corruption is rampant. I am not so sure we need the SEC, but the FINRA doesn't convince me they are the way to go.
Of course not. My point was obvious though. Does it make a difference between one group that will not do anything compared to another group that won't do anything?

Quote:
The offices like the GAO also don't do their job imo, though they have expanded their authority, like the FED. The line between private and public is virtually gone. It is all integrated. How well an agency does it's job is this issue. Seems to be conflict of interest all around.
Right now all of them are failing us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,911,221 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Of course not. My point was obvious though. Does it make a difference between one group that will not do anything compared to another group that won't do anything?



Right now all of them are failing us.
Actually, I got your point. I think it is valid. One that needs asking. We have a messed up situation and it needs to be addressed.

Many people simple stop at this is "public" and this is "private". Which isn't really the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,911,221 times
Reputation: 1114
Did you know the GAO have an FB page? (lol)
Government Accountability Office | Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
 
79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Reputation: 15961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Actually, I got your point. I think it is valid. One that needs asking. We have a messed up situation and it needs to be addressed.

Many people simple stop at this is "public" and this is "private". Which isn't really the issue.
I would be good with that argument if there was a solid factual basis behind it. Unfortunately at the insistance of the private, the government has made it all public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
 
79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Reputation: 15961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Did you know the GAO have an FB page? (lol)
Government Accountability Office | Facebook
No I didn't . When I get home ill have to check it out and see if fun can be had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,911,221 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would be good with that argument if there was a solid factual basis behind it. Unfortunately at the insistance of the private, the government has made it all public.
Not sure what you mean. However, I will clarify my statement.

The private and public are integrated from what I can see. So saying it is all one or the other I think confuses the issue. I am referring to the typical Wall Street vs Main Street paradigm.

The composite govt owns controlling shares of public companies via investment funds, an enormous list. Companies like Goldman Sachs and JPM. They have a plethora of these funds. They also keep tons of assets and surpluses they don't give back to citizens via accounting practices mostly. NM taxes, fees, revolving doors, special interest, NGOs, expense accounts etc...

These same companies self-regulate and control the world economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
 
79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Reputation: 15961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Not sure what you mean. However, I will clarify my statement.

The private and public are integrated from what I can see. So saying it is all one or the other I think confuses the issue. I am referring to the typical Wall Street vs Main Street paradigm.
O.K., I might have misunderstood where you were going.

Quote:
The composite govt owns controlling shares of public companies via investment funds, an enormous list. Companies like Goldman Sachs and JPM. They have a plethora of these funds. They also keep tons of assets and surpluses they don't give back to citizens via accounting practices mostly. NM taxes, fees, revolving doors, special interest, NGOs, expense accounts etc...

These same companies self-regulate and control the world economies.
I see where you were going. Indeed they can not get in bed with the government and then expect for the public (government) to just get out of the way.

I believe we should fully seperate the two. I would still support regulations dealing with things like fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,911,221 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
O.K., I might have misunderstood where you were going.



I see where you were going. Indeed they can not get in bed with the government and then expect for the public (government) to just get out of the way.

I believe we should fully seperate the two. I would still support regulations dealing with things like fraud.
This is why bills like The Commodity Modernization Act were setup and Glass-Steagall repealed. Why we bailed out Big Banks with 16trillion plus. JPM got 139bil. Why? Because they are the "Govt" bank.

Revealed – the capitalist network that runs the world - physics-math ...


What is JP Morgan Chase?


CA CAFR: pensions cost $27 billion, only 4% comes from the $600B ‘pension fund’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top