Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,967,308 times

Advertisements

I heard Romney's speech on immigration today and I was not surprised. Romney used a lot of political double speak, but that is not uncommon for politicians.

I will boil it down for the slow thinkers. Romney again refused to say whether he would reverse Obama's decision to basically give amnesty to young immigrants who came here by no fault of their own. He had another chance to say he would reverse it, but again he chose not to answer the question.

Instead, he changed the focus from illegal immigration to legal immigration. Basically, Romney is advocating that if anyone wants to come here all they should have to do is go through the gate.

He advocated cutting the red tape to get immigration. He advocated allowing ALL persons that had family members here legally to be allowed to immigrate legally. He advocated making it more attractive to come here legally than illegally. Of course, there is one way to do that. Allow all people who want to come here to pass through the gate legally instead of going around the gate and swimming across the river.

Romney wants to open the gates to everyone. Lets put up a fence, but allow anyone who wants to enter this country to pass through the wide open gates.

If you don't believe me, listen to his speech and decide for yourself. It is not at all surprising. This is what Establishment (Chamber of Commerce) Republicans have been advocating for some time. I just wonder if the T Party republicans are smart enough to see it. Of course, it won't matter because the litmus test for them is anyone other than Obama. Sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,487,107 times
Very few people really have a problem with legal immigration. Being against legal immigration is not a good stance to take politically.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Why shuld he delect the problems Obama has created for himself. He has taken the same line that he has had before Obama made this change. Sayig he favors reform;just what Hillary and obama said. I imnagine they will paly those tapes fo Obam speakig to mexican groups teelig the he could just inact the dream act hinslef because it would be illegal.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Very few people really have a problem with legal immigration. Being against legal immigration is not a good stance to take politically.
Um I do we can't have all 7 billion people on the planet here.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
IF legal immigration means that anyone who applies gets in legally, I think many have a problem with that. He is advocating changing legal immigration policty to allow more people in legally. So instead of hundreds of thousands of illegals, we have millions of legals. hmmm, let me think, which is better in hard economic times.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree. I'm just saying...to a certain point, being against legal immigration is bad politically.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I do too. Our immigration policy should be based on what a immigrant can do for our country. I have no problem in allowing immigrants in areas where there no U.S. employees available to fill jobs or where they are going to invest.

The fact is that the U.S. has the most lax immigration policies of any country in the world. Romney is advocating that they be even more lax. We have high unemployment, but he is advocating saturating the market with more labor. How is that a good thing...Well it would be if you are business owner, not so much if you are an employee.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Why would he help the Great Devider nhis election period.He wil stick to the same thing McCain Obama and Hillary said in 2008;they want reform of imagration policy.You atteck this by playig those videos of Obama tellig mexican groups that he coud just make the Dream Act law ebcause it would be illegal.lave it at that for ato explain.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
IF legal immigration means that anyone who applies gets in legally, I think many have a problem with that. He is advocating changing legal immigration policty to allow more people in legally. So instead of hundreds of thousands of illegals, we have millions of legals. hmmm, let me think, which is better in hard economic times.
I don't believe he literally said that he feels millions and millions of people should be able to immigrate to the US legally every year regardless of the state of the economy. I'll try and find the speech later and watch it.

If he really wants to allow absolutely anyone who wants to come here come, what would be the point of a fence?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-21-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I agree. I'm just saying...to a certain point, being against legal immigration is bad politically.
Well he certainly is hoping that many independents and Republicans don't stop and realize what he is saying. He does not come right out and say lets allow more people in legally, but that would be the net result of the proposals that he is advocating. If anyone cares to debate the point, please step forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies