Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times

Advertisements

As a school district employee (not a teacher) my wages have been stagnate for the past 4 years, furloughs and benefit reductions are now in place. My wife on the other hand just made a jump in the private sector (previously self employed) and is making significantly more.

I don't know our net worth off hand but I know we're doing significantly better and are living quite comfortably now.

If the economy didn't tank I'd be making about 5-10k more than I am now.

Then again, those COLA raises I was getting were due in part to the inflated economy as well.

Anecdotally I think the private sector is slowly improving and the public sector has a ways to go.

My job, year by year is resembling a private sector job without any advancement. I've lost two of my co-workers and if not for the union, I'd be doing their jobs too. (I'll have to do some of what they do just to keep where I work a-float anyway)..

I still have some security, but with the cuts around me even that is dwindling.

I agree that unions and education needs an overhaul, but cuts with no plan for the future really hurts everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Im better off. Bought a house, got married, my wife gave birth to our wonderful son, got several raises and a promotion, my side business is taking off, and I just got my bathroom remodeled. All since 2009. I really can't complain about anything.
Congratulations all the way around. Had two sons during the past three years. I could not be better.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you believe the Romney hype, we are all worse off than before. Of course, Romney seems to be doing well financially. Did not seem to hurt him much.

I myself am doing better financially. SO who is doing worse, and if so how is that Obama's fault?
I'm doing better as well...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well good for you. Consider yourself lucky. Most Americans I think would say they are worse off. There has been massive unemployment, inflation (have you not noticed the increases in food prices at the grocery store?), gasoline prices.

The economy is in shambles. We are in deep debt meaning the economic health of the country is in big trouble.

Perhaps you personally feel you are beter off. As a nation, we are much worse off. Open your eyes. Wake up and smell the coffee. Get out of your own little bubble.
You know it is ironic, so many are doing so great. Two nights ago, i stay up really late at night. I was watching a show on cable, that said America the next third world Country.

They had astonishing figures, that since Obama has been in office, we have more people on welfare, more children homeless, and higher unemployment. The numbers they had shown from 2010 till now, were hard to swallow. For most honest people things are not getting better.

We traveled a while for our business, across the US. And i like to talk to people, no matter who they are, or from what party. It seems that most people are not better off, and the elderly, scared, of how they are going to just survive buying the basics. Or how they will pay their bills.

Some i talked to in their fifties were scared, that maybe they would get a early Hee Ho, which i already know some in their fifties who did.

I talked to some of our young, who cannot find a job after completing college.

When you talk to people like i did, you see the scope of our problems up close and personal, because these were real people, with real experiences, and not made up or manufactured!

We do not have to travel any more, but the people and friendships i made, i will miss.

It is a jungle out there, and we know who is doing the juggling.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The problem is you're even thinking about rocket science, instead of investing your time on why we even had to recover, and the extent of recovery that would be necessary. Outside of another major bubble, I say, forget about it. But then, you just might be into riding high on economic bubble and ensuing disasters. Those make for great times, while they last, don't they?

BTW, are you also denying that we were losing a massive number of jobs three years ago? Yes?

Nobody wants to hear and deal with crap. Even less so when this crap is being advertised as the prescription for prosperity.
I never claimed to have a prescription for it. But Obama did.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
CEO salaries are UP

Corporate profits are UP

Corporate cash reserves are UP

You'd think the right would be ecstatic, their favorite 'people', those with names ending in INC, are doing well.

Bailout of Obama's buddies is up.

Crony Capitalism is up.

Investment in failed green companies is up.

Hollywood stars are making millions.

You'd think the left would be ecstatic, their favorite 'people', those with the big bucks, are doing well.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
Quite a bit worse off thanks to obama.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Very few that have responded actually say that they are doing worse than 3 years ago, and the few that say they are can't attribute how it is Obama's fault. Interesting.

Maybe those that are worse off don't have the time or resources to play on CD like the rest of us.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Worse

Retired, not by choice, not enough interest on a Jumbo CD or MMA to buy a decent hamburger, but the market is doing better. We are treading water income wise, the house that was purchased in 98 is worth 100K less than we paid for it. That does not count the new roof, siding, windows, HVAC, pool remodel, yada yada yada.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maybe those that are worse off don't have the time or resources to play on CD like the rest of us.
Well if they were not working they would have plenty of time . And resource, You can get on the computer at the library at no cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies