Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It was?
Licensing became the norm, because as per usual government procedure they saw an opportunity to stick their hand into the pockets of individuals to create an illusion of professional standards. And who are the state experts that make up said standards?

If you had a salon would you hire someone who didn't have the neccesary skills to provide proper care for your clients or would you just rely on some state issued piece of paper that said it was so?
The people who make up the board of cosmetology are professional cosmetologists, generally with 20 years or more on the job, they have generally owned salons, and have had teaching experience.

The skill set is constantly changing, that is why any good cosmetologist is constantly taking training.
Learning in a salon can be very dangerous, that's why you go to a school to have hands on training with mannequins, then direct supervision working on people.

Would you like someone to be learning on the job on your skin or hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes. There are salons that get shut down today that hire unlicensed people. These salons have been known to spread bacterial infections from improper sterilization, they have disfigured people with chemical burns or not knowing how to gauge the depth of a tattoo on the face, and they have burned people with the lasers used for hair removal.

The licensing requires constant education, and testing every other year.
So businesses who only hire state approved employees never have such issues?
tell us another story

I'd say an employer who wishes to stay in business or not get his pants sued off by a maimed customer is a better judge of professional integrity than a beureucrat in a cubicle wishing for it to be 5 pm.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
tell us another story

I'd say an employer who wishes to stay in business or not get his pants sued off by a maimed customer is a better judge of professional integrity than a beureucrat in a cubicle wishing for it to be 5 pm.
Until you have personally taken the state board exam, you really can't judge it.
I have take my state boards.

This is not go in and pay for a license. This is 4500 hours of class time, 1500 hours of apprenticeship, and then a state exam consisting of 300 questions, and a practical application exam.
There were 30 questions on diseases of the nails alone.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
It was?
Licensing became the norm, because as per usual government procedure they saw an opportunity to stick their hand into the pockets of individuals to create an illusion of professional standards. And who are the state experts that make up said standards?

If you had a salon would you hire someone who didn't have the neccesary skills to provide proper care for your clients or would you just rely on some state issued piece of paper that said it was so?
I know, I know, it's those pesky government regulations that took the cocaine out of Coca Cola, the opium out of Laudamen and the methedrene out of those diet pills. All for the almighty buck! I hear they're even going to ban bath salts that turn you into a cannibalistic zombie. They even came up with safety regulations for coal mines! Men have been dying in coal mines for centuries! why do we need government regulations now? It was a family tradition for your father to get black lung at 45 until the meddling government inspectors came in and screwed everything up.

What's the matter Frank? Have you been picking up a few extra bucks on the side doing pedicures and bikini waxes and now you need a license?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM

372 posts, read 1,042,951 times
Quote:
tell us another story

Free Markets! The only regulation that actually works.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Free Markets! The only regulation that actually works.

Go do a little rudimentary study of the era of the Robber Barons, then get back to us about the self-regulation of the free market.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times
Damn the nanny state gub'mint for making me go to nursing school and test my arse off before giving me a license!! Damn them all to hell!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
People posting are missing the obvious. Other cosmotology schools probably got the licensing standard to make it difficult for more people to open up schools. This is common place in almost every area of endeavor. Also, I would imagine cosmotology licenses are pretty much the norm in every state. I don't see this as being a big story. They should have looked into what was required before they started their school. Sounds like they were pretty stupid.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 PM

372 posts, read 1,042,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Go do a little rudimentary study of the era of the Robber Barons, then get back to us about the self-regulation of the free market.
That's not free markets, that's crony capitalism.

Crony capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please show me some proof that an unlicensed stylist is more dangerous than a licensed one. Some MRSA statistic or chemical burn data.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Wow...a State Board of Cosmetology. That is pretty intense. Something like this is not to protect the consumer, but to generate revenues from the state and restrict competition. It's pretty sad.

Yes, and for many industries, it serves to protect big businesses by creating a barrier to entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies