Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times

Advertisements

Most people here (in the UK) are ignorant of it. When I explain it to them they either don't understand the implications, or go into a 'HOLY S***' moment. A friend of mine just recently gave up property development and went into gold mining on the back of me explaining it to him.

Denial isn't something i've encountered so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm not tired of public anger at gas prices....I just wish everyone was angry about it......
Anger isn't productive. What do you plan to do about it?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
What amazes me about "Gas Prices" is how we in April were at $110 a barrel and 2 months later we are under $80 USD barrels of Oil!
Of course you would have Palin screaming "drill baby drill" but how does a barrel of Oil tank so quickly in less than 60 days???
Speculators! and we Americans are being led that there is a "Oil shortage" when non exists.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The cost of gas is what it is. getting angry about it is not going to bring the cost down because its price is governed by a world wide market and a cartel of producers.

The best way individuals can reduce the cost to themselves is to buy more efficient vehicles. For example, the car we bought in 2008 .... same make and model (but later model) as the one we bought in 2002 ..... gets 30% better gas mileage than the old car. Auto manufacturers have already got the message. But they can do even better if consumers push them.

The best way government can help us is by developing public transport (and, yes, that does include rail). Where I used to live in White Plains, NY, it was a gallon of gas into NYC and a gallon back. Plus tolls, plus parking and you are looking at $35+. The train was $17 round trip plus $5 for parking. I like my car as much as the next guy but spending a couple of hours in commuter traffic is not my idea of fun.

As individuals, we can make smart choices and those choices will have an impact on the market. But we need to take ideology out of it. The gas guzzler era is over and it ain't coming back.
Jaggy? here is thing with "public transport! It's a dirty word in the US since apparently our "self worth" in the US is determined by the kind of car we drive!
On a personal anecdote I grew up in NJ in a city that faced Manhattan & we never owned a car! School was 8 blocks away! We walked to school & my dad worked in Manhattan so he used public transportation to get to his job in Manhattan 5 days a week!
My family never owned a car during that time until we moved to Florida & the need for a car was quite evident!
Sounds strange but using buses & trains at the time was just a way of life at the time.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No such thing as "peak oil".

A made up term to terrify the sheep.
It is very much a realistic term. The problem is not whether there is oil, its the energy expense to get it out of the ground. Whne you drill a new well it comes out by itself, then you have to pump it out, then you have to inject water into it....... each of those escalating steps require more energy. The largest oil wells in the world have all been exploited since the 50's. They are finding new sources and new techniques to make ole wells productive but at some point you will hit plateau if it hasn't already been hit.

This is old from 2004. not sure what the current projections are, the largest issue becomes good data. Nations like Saudi don't give it up.

Long Term World Oil Supply

Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How the heck would any one know,its only a theory.
Sorry to be harsh if you are really sincere about it.

But as far as theories go . . . it is a bit Flat Earth.

Quote:
Not sure of the point of your inference that any one who thinks about a theory is to be ridiculed with snide comments.
On the industry side of things, Abiotic is a bit of a sham. Most everyone knows that it is total nonsense, but the folks that promote that the Earth and Oil Fairies make the stuff are usually doing it to deflect the problem of depletion.

See, it does not matter whether mass death of zillions of algae all piled up and made Oil, or if there really are magic Oil Fairies Deep Underground making Oil. We are producing and burning it at such a higher rate than it can be reproduced we run into the production limits (aka Peak Oil) either way.

At this point of the game -- to stick with Oil is Death.

Whoever quits Oil first Wins. And Wins Big.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
[/b]

Good idea. Oddly, in many rural areas, people cannot tolerate the idea of "public transportation" bcs they may have to pay 10.00 a year in city tax.
There isn't any buses coming to where I live and I don't expect them too either. On the other hand I expect to be able to buy able to afford a 4 wheel drive vehicle too. Let the market do what it will but when you have government interference driving up the cost of gas it's another story.

Few people realize that.... city budes don;t go into the country and there is lot of people that live there.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
I think one of the worst mistakes ever made was swapping electric rails for cars.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sorry to be harsh if you are really sincere about it.

But as far as theories go . . . it is a bit Flat Earth.

On the industry side of things, Abiotic is a bit of a sham. Most everyone knows that it is total nonsense, but the folks that promote that the Earth and Oil Fairies make the stuff are usually doing it to deflect the problem of depletion.

See, it does not matter whether mass death of zillions of algae all piled up and made Oil, or if there really are magic Oil Fairies Deep Underground making Oil. We are producing and burning it at such a higher rate than it can be reproduced we run into the production limits (aka Peak Oil) either way.

At this point of the game -- to stick with Oil is Death.

Whoever quits Oil first Wins. And Wins Big.
Well time for Gen IV Nulcear power

Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well time for Gen IV Nulcear power
I agree. While nuclear energy is too dangerous for direct use in cars, cars can be electric. Nuclear plants can be built to supply that power. It's going to take a long time to make electric cars as affordable as gas powered cars and I'm glad they are taking the first steps with the Leaf and Volt. As oil becomes scarcer, prices will only go up. China, India, and other countries are becoming "car countries" at a rapid rate. Time to kick electric car development into high gear.

As for plastic, we can use Bakelite instead. This early plastic was high quality and made without oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies