Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I like Scalia. I'm liberal.
So you supported Citizens United? You think corporations are people too? What about Roe V. Wade, you want that overturned? Miranda rights? You want them thrown out as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post

The Supreme Court has leaned more and more to the right over the years, and still, we are where we are. I do agree that a decision today may be used in a totally different, unanticipated, context in the future but it is highly unlikely that the SC will be addressing anything of the scope we need to take our country back- or they will address it with guns to their heads as surely may have been the case in Bush v. Gore and Citizens United for example.

Charts: The Supreme Court's Rightward Shift | Mother Jones

(If you don't like the source, go to the sources of the source)
As a second follow up to add a couple pf points

The Supreme Court's decision to uphold ObamaCare, including the mandate for purchasing health care insurance, with Chief Justice Roberts joining the 4 liberals to provide the swing vote left, illustrates my point that a decision rendered by a so-called "conservative" doesn't automatically make the decision right leaning, when in this case it is undoubtedly left.

And I must be honest, I didn't even see the news until just a few minutes ago regarding Roberts joining the liberals, providing them the needed vote for "victory".

Of course, Roberts is a Bush appointee which kinda shoots in the head that old line about electing republican presidents in order to get those strict constructionist conservatives on the Supreme Court, and Roberts proved himself to be as much a federalist liberal as that phony conservative Bush, as I contended Bush was indeed a lefty RINO.

The other conservatives on the bench like Scalia have the proper view, as expressed in their dissenting opinions, though I've grown so cynical, I'm not convinced that these bloviating black robes may not be engaging in theatrics .... with 9 of them sitting down, collectively discussing how they come to a particular ruling when it will take a defection from one side to getter-done, and so they have to decide who is going to have to step out of character to provide that swing vote.

Congress surely does this all of the time ... and a perfect example was the NDAA ... split down party lines, with the Democrats actually voting against it in a rare demonstration ....passing by a hair ... then signed by Obama? Right. I was born during the day but not yesterday. It was the DemoRats turn to vote with the populist opinion against NDAA ... with full knowledge that there were enough votes to pass it, and low and behold, the DemoRat President doesn't follow the party line, and chooses to sign it? Then later we find out that he was the one insisting that the indefinite detention provision include American citizens .... showing that his early posturing which suggested that he would veto the the bill were just more smoke and mirrors coming from a person who doesn't possess even an ounce of integrity, not all all different than the gigantic collection of flim flam artists in congress who all seem to be playing from the same sheet of music.

So much for the left-right struggle ... they're all pulling in the same direction.

Now we have Roberts exposing himself as the masquerading liberal. Freaking criminals ... every one of them ... including the now obvious "controlled opposition" formerly known as the only true conservatives, Ron and Rand Paul.

Might as well vote for the tooth fairy as to try finding conservative to vote for. You got a better chance finding the tooth fairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies