Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,533,106 times

Advertisements

A quote from Thomas Sowell. While I for sure think that pretty good health care, were 98% of people are covered is better than great health care where only 75% of the people are at least somewhat covered (meaning if they are, they still have deductibles and co pays that can send them to the poor house anyway), his quote had me think about the cost of paying doctors, etc. Here it is:

It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer it.

I can tell you what I think of Sowell, but that's besides the point.
Again, fellow progressives, chime in please.
Cons and Repubs, please continue to the next thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,119,061 times
Individually, we can't. Collectively, we can.

To me, that's a pillar of Liberalism.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,448,574 times
In theory, more people in the system should reduce costs.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Correct. If hospitals do not have to pass on the costs of caring for the uninsured the cost should come down for care.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
It is rather amusing for someone who associated fascism with Obama, be himself a believer in private enterprise working in the best interests of the people. It is why he deliberately quotes government bureaucracy as an added cost, but refrains from including private corporations adding costs. But, for my point, I don't need that, so here it goes.

I agree that the ideal health care system would include exclusion of the middle man, private or public, and be a process exclusively between the patient and the doctors/hospitals. In fact, I have seen this in practice, in person, outside of the USA and true competition exists, keeping the prices low. Insurance shows up as a business opportunity, mostly for wants and for catastrophic coverage only.

Unfortunately, it will remain a pipe-dream in the USA for a reason: ignorance and denial around price control practices by corporations. The market system in the USA favors large players. These large players often combine, or at least collude in pricing, to draw smaller players out much less individuals' ability to have any control. The result: Higher health care costs. It creates a natural dependency on buying their products over choosing not to. I think it was from Kaiser Family Foundation study from a few years ago, that I wish to find again, which pointed at this issue, and also at the fact that larger companies can (and do) put pressure on doctors and hospitals to charge differently. The greater the number of patients they direct to them, the greater say they have on the subject. There may be a solution towards this effect, but it will have to be on the grounds of transparency on pricing of services. If a person visits a doctor for treatment, how often do they know about cost of service...
1- When paying cash? Versus...
2- When using a smaller insurance company at the same provider? Versus...
3- When using a large insurance company at the same provider?

And what implications hold for a provider who maintains identical standards for all of them? This is also true of pharmaceuticals.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,792,209 times
If we steal money from people who have it, then we can afford it.

What's complicated about that?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,792,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Obama, be himself a believer in private enterprise working in the best interests of the people.
That's hilarious.

Hats off to EG!

A little humor is a great way to start the morning

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Same old conservative tripe about how the government can't run anything. But at least they (the government) should actually be "running" Obamacare to get accused of that. If we go to single payer then the RWNs can complain all they want..

The actual nuts and bolts of the system aren't really changing in regards to who is actually administering and paying for care.

It is so ridiculous that these people actually ADVOCATED this system back in 1994 when ClintonCare was on the table and are running a candidate that IMPLEMENTED this basic system when he was a sitting governor.

All this hand wringing will slowly subside when there isn't much change in how things work except there will be more people in the health insurance pool.

Hopefully by then the RWNs will figure out that ObamaCare is REALLY a secret way to confiscate their guns.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
But the GOP and Obama agreed to write into the law specific rules which forbid the government from using it's buying leverage to negotiate with health care providers for lower costs.

This bill only expanded health care coverage which is a good thing in itself, but no corporations made any sacrifice, nor was their any reasonable patient care rationing.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
US healthcare costs via Europe.

They only pay half as much and cover everyone.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...e1960-2007.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies