Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,849,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That's hilarious.

Hats off to EG!

A little humor is a great way to start the morning

You should really look for the next thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM

121 posts, read 133,793 times
If we're being intellectually honest, the health care system in this country is already heavily subsidized and regulated and the ACA doesn't change much about that. Where is the incentive to control costs if you know that the consumer(patient) is only bearing 12% of the cost? This system has been broken for a long time, but sadly the "solutions" put forth are just handing more and more control to the government.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,992 times
As far as the bill goes, it has a sliding scale based on income which subsidizes the premium costs.

So when the right winger start lying about "putting people in the poor house" because they are forced to buy insurance instead of gaming they system like before.....Feel free to ridicule their ignorance.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
If we're being intellectually honest, the health care system in this country is already heavily subsidized and regulated and the ACA doesn't change much about that. Where is the incentive to control costs if you know that the consumer(patient) is only bearing 12% of the cost? This system has been broken for a long time, but sadly the "solutions" put forth are just handing more and more control to the government.
And the GOP voted in unison along with the help of a minority of bad Democrats to prevent any of those cost savings measures to come up.

Obama wasn't fighting or sticking his neck out like the unprincipled wimp he is.

Nothing gets passed if it requires sacrifice on the part of big industry.

This is really what's going on here.

Last edited by padcrasher; 06-29-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,007,770 times
Affordable care is possible.

However, it is ridiculous that doctors and hospitals have to take out horrendous malpractice insurance. Did you know that insurance costs for a general practitioner can run up to $100,000 a year? Add to that tremendous overhead, the cost of med school, and it is clear that fees for medical services have to be astronomical. The solution for many doctors is to specialize in plastic surgery - which tends to have the highest pay-off.

If we want affordable care, we need to cap the amount of money that can be awarded for malpractice, and we need to make medical school affordable for those who will become general practitioners.

It is also ridiculous that every M.D. believes he/she deserves to drive a luxury car and have a yacht in the bay. To me, this is nothing but entitlement mentality.

I travel a lot internationally and have received medical care in many places on this earth. The US system, by and large, is one of the worst I have encountered. It is a business, and not much else.

Where I live now, you cannot even see a dentist without getting x-rays. Why? Not because they are medically necessary, but because taking x-rays puts some extra money into people's pockets. I find it appalling.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Affordable care is possible.

However, it is ridiculous that doctors and hospitals have to take out horrendous malpractice insurance. Did you know that insurance costs for a general practitioner can run up to $100,000 a year? Add to that tremendous overhead, the cost of med school, and it is clear that fees for medical services have to be astronomical. The solution for many doctors is to specialize in plastic surgery - which tends to have the highest pay-off.

If we want affordable care, we need to cap the amount of money that can be awarded for malpractice, and we need to make medical school affordable for those who will become general practitioners.

It is also ridiculous that every M.D. believes he/she deserves to drive a luxury car and have a yacht in the bay. To me, this is nothing but entitlement mentality.

I travel a lot internationally and have received medical care in many places on this earth. The US system, by and large, is one of the worst I have encountered. It is a business, and not much else.

Where I live now, you cannot even see a dentist without getting x-rays. Why? Not because they are medically necessary, but because taking x-rays puts some extra money into people's pockets. I find it appalling.
Big savings from Malpractice reform is a myth. Texas did this long ago and nothing happened.

It serves two purposes. 1.) To give the GOP something they can pretend to care about health care on. 2) It serves the interests of big corporations yet again.

Payouts to malpractice suits are less than 1% of your healthcare dollar.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,143,686 times
This was never about cost you fools. It was about control. And honestly, costs will not go down unless there is increased rationing and death panels, yes death panels.

AP and even Michelle Obama touting the last day or so that this and that will now be free. Nothing is free morons. I wonder how many idiots out there now think theyre getting free health care. And all those little goodies that may be free, are paid for by someone else.

This thing is a monster disaster that will take this country down. It takes affect, with out the tax increases to pay for it not coming for two years later.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
This was never about cost you fools. It was about control. And honestly, costs will not go down unless there is increased rationing and death panels, yes death panels.

AP and even Michelle Obama touting the last day or so that this and that will now be free. Nothing is free morons. I wonder how many idiots out there now think theyre getting free health care.
These last 24 hours, I can't think of a progressive, who has said, that this will be free.
Did you read my request about moving on to the next thread?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
<snip>

All this hand wringing will slowly subside when there isn't much change in how things work except there will be more people in the health insurance pool.

Hopefully by then the RWNs will figure out that ObamaCare is REALLY a secret way to confiscate their guns.
For me, this is the post de jour.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,469,789 times
wow, look at the genius' in this thread...NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies