Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM

589 posts, read 851,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Well, everybody has a right to thier opinion. My guess is that you weren't around at the time all that was happening, right ??

If all "Hanoi Jane" had done was just speak, then sure, that would wouldn't have been the end of the world. Just opposing the war was done by a lot of hollywood people. It was an unpopular war.

What Jane Fonda did was fly to Hanoi, give them money, help make propagana speeches and go on
communist television to denounce every American soldier that fought, died or was captured ( and being
tortured at the Hanoi Hilton") since the war started. By anyones definition, that should be TREASON.

I don't think you will find too many people that can condone what she did. I know that anyone that was
involved in vietnan still harbors a lot resentment, if not downright hatred, for her. It was a long time ago, but, it still is remembered by a lot of vets. Forgive her ?? Maybe, Forget her ?? No way. Vets ain't Fonda Jane.

Oh, BTW, nobody liked Benedict Arnold either.
It's not a matter of condoning what she did. I don't agree with her actions, but the far more important thing is that a support her right to exercise those actions.

And yes, I do remember when it all happened. My father was actually a pilot in Viet Nam at that time. I probably know more about it then you do. Don't for a minute act as if you speak for all vets. You definitely don't. There are many vets that may not have agreed with her actions, but they still supported her first amendment rights.

And it definitely wasn't treason either. That's your own unfounded emotional opinion. Had that really been the case, Nixon being the guy that he was, would have made sure to throw the book at Jane. He didn't, because he couldn't. He didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Your comparison to Arnold is ridiculous. He was a General in command of the most important Colonial fort of it's day. Jane was and always has been a private citizen freely exercising her first amendment rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
It's not a matter of condoning what she did. I don't agree with her actions, but the far more important thing is that a support her right to exercise those actions.

And yes, I do remember when it all happened. My father was actually a pilot in Viet Nam at that time. I probably know more about it then you do. Don't for a minute act as if you speak for all vets. You definitely don't. There are many vets that may not have agreed with her actions, but they still supported her first amendment rights.

And it definitely wasn't treason either. That's your own unfounded emotional opinion. Had that really been the case, Nixon being the guy that he was, would have made sure to throw the book at Jane. He didn't, because he couldn't. He didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Your comparison to Arnold is ridiculous. He was a General in command of the most important Colonial fort of it's day. Jane was and always has been a private citizen freely exercising her first amendment rights.

I notice you did not mention what your father thought of her...........

I am a vet and I think she should have been tried for treason.........It would have also been her right to seek counsel to defend herself............
It is also MY RIGHT to consider her garbage...........

Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 PM

589 posts, read 851,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I notice you did not mention what your father thought of her...........

I am a vet and I think she should have been tried for treason.........It would have also been her right to seek counsel to defend herself............
It is also MY RIGHT to consider her garbage...........

My father didn't like what she did, but he didn't think it made any sense for him to be in Viet Nam risking his life so that the Vietnamese could have freedom, while at the same time we were prohibiting actual Americans from exercising those very same freedoms and rights that he was fighting for the Vietnamese to have. He didn't like her at all, but he loved the rights that the Constitution gives all Americans, much more than he hated Jane. In other words, he was smart enough not to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It was far far more important at that time, that the USA showed the entire World that our Constitutional freedoms were far more than just words on a piece of paper. Imagine how it would have undermined any moral high ground that we may have still had, if we had thrown Jane in Jail? We would have been essentially telling the World that we're fighting for Viet Nams right to do what we tell them to do, and should they do something that we disagree with, we'll punish them. That's a pretty tough argument to sell.

So yes, you have the right to feel that she is garbage, but that's not what we are discussing.

The discussion is did she have the right as an American to do what she did? The answer is yes, however painful that may be for you.

Therefore, no you don't have the right to feel she should be tried for treason, at least not as long as the first amendment still exsists.

Nixon figured that out 40 years ago. Isn't time you did too?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Right

Which explains why she was arrested and tried for treason, as soon as she returned to the USA.

If you can't support her ability to exercise her first amendment rights, (whether you agree with what's she saying, or not) then YOU are the unamerican traitor.
You're missing a few things in your RUSH to say she exercised her first amendment rights.

She was in Vietnam and TURNED IN American POWs (AGAIN) to their CAPTORS for their mistake of trusting her dumb liberal ass. Turned them in to the ENEMY, all over agian, while those America soldiers thought they could trust her dumb liberal American a**. While she had some din-din/sum-sum with them, knowing her fellow Americans were emaciated and being tortured 50 yards away from where she stood. Big old SKANK is what she is. I HOPE she has nightmares haunted by those she so easily, without a thought in her liberal head, screwed over, to prove some liberal f-tard point she thought she was standing up for.

She is a piece of hippy liberal crap history and always will be.

ANYONE who gives her a pass, well, there are NO words, other than really, really, really, bad ones, who support or find excuses for what she did.

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-30-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM

336 posts, read 450,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You're missing a few things in your RUSH to say she exercised her first amendment rights.

She TURNED IN American POWs to their CAPTORS for their mistake of trusting her dumb liberal ass. To the ENEMY. While she had some din-din/sum-sum with them, knowing her fellow Americans were emaciated and tortured 50 feet away. Big old SKANK is what she is.

She is a piece of hippy liberal crap history and always will be.

ANYONE who gives her a pass is a HUGE as*shole. There are NO words, other than really, really, really, bad ones, who support or find excuses for what she did.
It's fine if you want to exercise your right to not like what she did, but your opinion as to whether or not she should have been given a pass is irrelevant.

This Country isn't governed by the 'rule of the hot headed redneck.'

We have the rule of law, and it applies whether it's convenient or not.

You should try to get over it. All the crying and name calling in the World isn't going to change anything.

She'll still be rich, and famous, and you'll still be a bitter old man. Let it go.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 06-30-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:

Lets try this again

#1 Nobody asked you to condone anything. I beleive the Topic was forgiving her. I don't and probably
never will. Whether you do or not doesn't matter much to me.

#2 You need to learn to read a little bit better. No where in my post does it state that I speak for "all
vets". Read it again. It's not my emotional opinion, theres a little more to it than that.

#3 I seriously doubt you know more about it than I do. Thats an assumption on your part that is based
in your "unfounded emotional opinion". You have no idea where I have been or when I was there.I really am sorry you can't look at things from a different angle, but, thats your problem.

#4 Just because Nixon didn't push the Treason charge doesn't mean that the charge Wasn't valid. Plenty of senators were kicking it around. Nixon was busy with a few other things (likewatergate ) at the time. Besides, like you said, her daddy " Henry Fonda" got her out of it. Like I allready Stated, it was an unpopular war. It was just easier to let her skate.

#5 Sure compairing Jane Fonda to Benedict Arnold is absurd. It's a joke. A little short in in the humor
deparment aren't you ???

Last but not least. Like a previous poster said, its not worth getting getting into big diatribe with you
and getting banned. It's been a long night............

Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
It's fine if you want to exercise your right to not like what she did, but your opinion as to whether or not she should have been given a pass is irrelevant.

You should try to get over it. All the crying and name calling in the World isn't going to change anything.

She'll still be rich, and famous, and you'll still be a bitter old man. Let it go.
Considering all the crying that the left has done, I would take a good guess that you fellows still believe it will do good

After what I have seen over the last 12 yrs, I seriously take your assertion that we have law still in America with a grain of salt

There is no constitutional respect anymore as we have seen recently

Considering we have not fought a war for any good reason since WW2, I tend to side with Jane for her opinion, but maybe not the actual act

It is funny though.... someone from Jacksonville calling someone ELSE a redneck....

Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:

It's not an opinion sunshine, it's a fact. The woman committed treason.

Hot whose neck is red? Miss Jane, well, she could have been a poor college student and done the same....she just wouldn't have been granted the same pass. Today, she's a 74 year old piece of trash - I don't care how many movies she's been in or what balance she keeps in her accounts.

Why would you think anyone does? What she did is inexcusable. Just because she became some anorexic movie star, means nothing to me. Does it mean something to you? Maybe her 35 + years of anorexia/bulimia is guilt driven. For what she did to those POW's who passed her their info. Who WOULD do what she did to them? What was she trying to PROVE? Other than the fact that she was a freaking idiot, there IS no explanation for what she did. None.

Anyway:

What a typical BS response from someone who really has nothing to say.

You can spin your wheels all you want, she is what she is, and always will be; A TRAITOR.

Put whatever liberal lipstick on that pig you want to...she's still a PIG.

For the record, not a dude, and not old. What deluded world are you stuck in where only "old men" think "Hanoi Jane" is a traitor?

Thanks for playing and getting it ALL sorts of WRONG!!!

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-01-2012 at 01:26 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
It is funny though.... someone from Jacksonville calling someone ELSE a redneck....

Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
She will be famous, known for her treason. Nothing more.

And to call a patriot a bitter old man is just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies