Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,156,173 times

Advertisements

While reading up on inheritance taxes and estate taxes.....I just discovered that Obama reinstated inheritance tax and made it retroactive to 2010. I thought he promised he was not going to raise taxes. Our loved ones paid taxes on their estates at least once already. Why should we have to pay taxes on our inheritance again. Apparently...the percentage is going to go up again this year....all to continue the funding of things like the unsucessful jobs act, continued unemployment benefit extensions.....calling it a tax relief act.....Kind of an oxymoron....when he is taxing dead peoples estates....and so much for tax relief....when they are taking money out of the pockets of living constituants...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
That puts us older folks between a rock and a hard place. We want our heirs to get what we have worked and skimped to accumulate not the government, but we can't afford to spend down our savings for fear of outliving our resources.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Well he didn't SAY he was going to raise taxes and no one asked him.
They are all busy with the latest amnesty, Holder contempt and Obamacare.

All eyes are in the other court. Act quick while you can. The MSM is on his side as well so it won't make headlines all over the US.

Anyway you're dead so you can't complain and your heirs..well it wasn't their money to begin with (talking points here).

Old 06-30-2012, 06:14 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Obama's promises are proven to be worthless.
There is a strong accurate record of this for all to see..............except the blind.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

All eyes are in the other court. Act quick while you can. The MSM is on his side as well so it won't make headlines all over the US.

Anyway you're dead so you can't complain and your heirs..well it wasn't their money to begin with (talking points here).
Well since a large portion of the seed money for this estate was in rental houses which my heir worked on without compensation as a teenager, one might say that he had a stake in it.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Well since a large portion of the seed money for this estate was in rental houses which my heir worked on without compensation as a teenager, one might say that he had a stake in it.
I'm on your side. What is left to heirs has already been taxed so why are they taxing it yet again ?
I can see gains from sales and that's about it.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM

380 posts, read 376,953 times
....proposal to retroactively reinstate the estate tax with a $5 million per person exemption and a tax rate of 35%.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,156,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

But.....in alot of cases....our parents....grandparents....worked hard...saved hard...so they could give their children and grandchildren a leg up....maybe a home or a college education they might not get otherwise without going into extreme debt. I know my Dad would be rolling over in his grave if he thought 55 percent of his estate that he already paid taxes on was going to be scrapped of the top by greedy goverment run amuck

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
I believe that the tax cuts in the Tax Act of 2001 would automatically sunset in 2010; however, Congress created a new tax bill in 2010 that capped the rate at 35% and exempted up to $5 million of property from the estate tax.

Also, neither the inheritance tax nor the estate tax was repealed in 2001; so, President Obama could never "reinstate" it, even if he were constitutionally allowed to do so.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
While reading up on inheritance taxes and estate taxes.....I just discovered that Obama reinstated inheritance tax and made it retroactive to 2010. I thought he promised he was not going to raise taxes. Our loved ones paid taxes on their estates at least once already. Why should we have to pay taxes on our inheritance again. Apparently...the percentage is going to go up again this year....all to continue the funding of things like the unsucessful jobs act, continued unemployment benefit extensions.....calling it a tax relief act.....Kind of an oxymoron....when he is taxing dead peoples estates....and so much for tax relief....when they are taking money out of the pockets of living constituants...
I don't have any loved ones who own more than 5 million bucks, so this doesn't affect me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies