Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Also we accept over one million legal immigrants to this country a year. Our immigration system is far from broken.

People seem to think we need to change the process and make it easy for everyone to come here; as if that were a right. I am sick of it.

The US government issues UNLIMITED H 2A visas to farmers who have a shortage of labor. The farmers would have to comply with labor laws regarding Minimum Wage, etc. This is not something new so there is no excuse other than the fact that they are greedy.
it's not the numbers of visa granting that is the problem. It's the time spent before the visas are granted that is the problem, especially for the farmers. When the crops are ripe, they must be picked or they go to waste. All the number of visas in the world do no good unless they are in the hands of the pickers when it's time to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,404 times
Has it dawned on any of the Hispanic community that the unemployment rate for Hispanics legally in the US is at 11%? Has it dawned on Blacks that the unemployment rate for blacks is 14.6%? Yet we are still leaving the door wide open for illegal immigrants to come into this country and take jobs that could be filled by US citizens? We may have elected a "black president" in this country, but his white half seems to be making his decissions......

Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,471,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Has it dawned on any of the Hispanic community that the unemployment rate for Hispanics legally in the US is at 11%? Has it dawned on Blacks that the unemployment rate for blacks is 14.6%? Yet we are still leaving the door wide open for illegal immigrants to come into this country and take jobs that could be filled by US citizens? We may have elected a "black president" in this country, but his white half seems to be making his decissions......
For the most part, illegal immigrants tend to fill jobs which citizens find beneath themselves. This position that "they're taking our jobs" has always seemed to ignore which jobs "they" are taking.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,029,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
For the most part, illegal immigrants tend to fill jobs which citizens find beneath themselves. This position that "they're taking our jobs" has always seemed to ignore which jobs "they" are taking.
You haven't been to southern california?!!! Illegals have taken most construction jobs, lawn maintenance jobs, fast food jobs that used to be performed by high schoolers. When you go visit other states, you might be shocked to find that these are still performed by americans.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:
What utter nonsense. There are no jobs that our American youth and adults will not for a fair wage. They always have!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You haven't been to southern california?!!! Illegals have taken most construction jobs, lawn maintenance jobs, fast food jobs that used to be performed by high schoolers. When you go visit other states, you might be shocked to find that these are still performed by americans.
Additionally, if those jobs were left undone perhaps they would pay a little better and more americans would be willing to do them. Anyone not living in one of the states with high concentrations of illegals will say illegals are only taking jobs that americans won't do. The fact is, they are taking AND getting paid good wages to do these jobs. Contractors and businesses hire them because they don't have to take out workers comp or pay social security on them. Nevermind that they are sucking up the resources that citizens are FORCED to pay for through taxes. The old stereotypes (which at a time in history had some actual basis ) that illegals work for nothing is no longer true and hasn't been for some time.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,471,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What utter nonsense. There are no jobs that our American youth and adults will not [do] for a fair wage. They always have!
I didn't deny that. But, I was speaking to the situation at hand. Quite frankly, the kids from suburbia wouldn't be clamoring to become fieldworkers and janitors even if the wages were good.

Sadly, many of the people who make your argument (not you, necessarily) also fight unions and minimum wage laws. Those who do make both those arguments suffer from double-think. You simply cannot have a system which focuses on maximizing profits and providing good wages.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:
I didn't deny that. But, I was speaking to the situation at hand. Quite frankly, the kids from suburbia wouldn't be clamoring to become fieldworkers and janitors even if the wages were good.

Sadly, many of the people who make your argument (not you, necessarily) also fight unions and minimum wage laws. Those who do make both those arguments suffer from double-think. You simply cannot have a system which focuses on maximizing profits and providing good wages.
That is merely your opinion not based on fact. As for fieldworkers there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreigner workers. There should be a happy medium between business profits and fair wages for the worker who is a necessary part of making them profitable.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I fight unions and I'll be happy to tell you why I do. I was once in a union. We went on strike for better wages. We won the battle and it only took me about 15 years to make up what I lost while we were out on strike. There was a time in this country when unions served a very useful purpose. They have outlived their usefulness and their main concern is not the worker, but rather paying for their offices, their limo's and their country clubs. It no longer has a damn thing to do with benefitting the membership of the union.
As for minimum wage, as a teenager I never worked for minimum wage. No-one forces you to take a minimum wage job. If you take one, you take it of your own accord. If you stay in a minimum wage job you have no-one to blame but yourself. Minimum wage has never really addressed the needs of the poor. What has addressed the needs of the poor is distributive education in the high schools and coming to the realization that not everyone is cut out to have a college degree. We still need electricians, carpenters and masons etc and they typically in this economy have more success than does a college grad with a sociology degree.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM

31,146 posts, read 22,180,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And that's the root of the entire problem. If the US ever gets up to snuff in making legal entry reasonably fast and easy, we would have no need for the illegals. They wouldn't need to enter illegally either.

As it is, getting a 6-month work visa requires over a 6-month wait at least, and more commonly takes as long as 3 years. There was a time, over 30 years ago, when legal migrants came and went with the crops, and there weren't a ton of problems. Some stayed, some continued to prefer going back home, and neither was a big deal.

We can do it again, but it's going to take everyone deciding to do the easy and legal way for a change. Right now, too many of us prefer closing our borders with fences and armed patrols than to got to work and be willing to spend the same money on better ways for all of us. Obviously, Congress would need to be whipped over the head until they got to work, too.

I find it odd; Americans once deplored the Soviet Union for doing those same things.
Yep, did it before, we can do it again. It worked very well. My girlfriends family from when I was in high school still had the buildings where the legal migrant farm workers stayed when they came. Since then they sold off their farm in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm mexican-american and you can count me in that 55%. You know that in their countries, ALL law enforcement has the power to detain anyone suspected of being illegal. We need the same thing here.
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies