Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The problem is that you are probably the only person on this thread who has brought up the racist policies of segregation. Courtesy of papa Daley, his son, and now, probably Rahm, the anointed one.

I wouldn't be surprised if some accuse you of race baiting for bringing this up. I agree, this is a result of a systematic problem that began decades ago. It's been largely confined to the ghettos and with the failing economy is going to the wealthier parts.

The ghettos are the canary of society. I wish this discussion would continue, but let's be honest, this thread will basically go back to bashing Blacks and Democrats, which was the intended purpose.
Good post.

The thing is that it WON'T get to the wealthier parts....because Chicago leadership will not allow it. I mean yeah it can pop up here and there but they will put a swift and violent stop to it just like they did when bangers started infesting the taste a while back. Chicago PD and their leadership doesn't play around when you violate thier unspoken rules, heck, they've had gangs kill their own members there for drawing heat on the gang for violating "the unspoken rules".

When those 2 kids got shot in gang crossfire a couple years ago CPD just *wrecked* the gang involved.

And they don't give a crap about the ACLU, NAACP or other orgs coming in saying they are being unfair or brutal etc. because:
1. They don't have to win elections in Chicago.
2. They have a degree of immunity due to party affiliation. (especially in a pres election year, you can't slam emanuel or the reps will try to milk it to hurt Obama)

Give Chi-town a republican mayor and they'd fry his butt over some of their police crackdowns lol.
(Then again the last rep mayor in Chi was around WW2 and he was as big a crook as even Daley. )

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
LOL I live in da big city! I've visited Chicago DOZENS of times. The weather is crap and the only thing I like to see is the art museum.
Natural History Museum,
Shedd Aquarium
Museum of Sci & I
Wrigley
Auto Show
Chi Marathon (boys town section is hillarious and fabulous lol)

I miss Chicago and love to get back to visit.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Natural History Museum,
Shedd Aquarium
Museum of Sci & I
Wrigley
Auto Show
Chi Marathon (boys town section is hillarious and fabulous lol)

I miss Chicago and love to get back to visit.
Pish-posh! I have decided that Chicago is TERRIBLE and no amount of data will convince me otherwise!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
if ever a city needed open carry.

Don't think that would make a difference.

I live in Atlanta and the murder rate here is higher than Chicago and we have open carry. We also have a huge convention going on right now causing me traffic headaches and have new ones every week. The downtown area has more crime here than any other area in the city, including inner city black neighborhoods, but people still come and you don't hear about it on the news like you hear about Chicago woes. I actually think it is rather strange that the media talks so much about Chicago. Here in Atlanta there aren't significant gang problems, nothing like Chicago, yet our murder rate is higher AND we have very liberal concealed carry permit laws in GA. I don't think that makes a difference.

I just think the media likes to villify Chicago.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
They need to phase in a zero tolerance policy. Every single crime has to be swiftly tried and the perp needs to be incarcerated. There's too many criminals walking around free because no one cares as long as they stay in their little crime zones the city designates. If you get life in prison WO parole for any crime with a gun people will change their behavior. Life in prison WO parole for ANY drug selling offense. We have to clean up the streets.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The problem is that you are probably the only person on this thread who has brought up the racist policies of segregation. Courtesy of papa Daley, his son, and now, probably Rahm, the anointed one.

I wouldn't be surprised if some accuse you of race baiting for bringing this up. I agree, this is a result of a systematic problem that began decades ago. It's been largely confined to the ghettos and with the failing economy is going to the wealthier parts.

The ghettos are the canary of society. I wish this discussion would continue, but let's be honest, this thread will basically go back to bashing Blacks and Democrats, which was the intended purpose.

Wanted to say I agree with this regarding Chicago. The segregation there is just mind boggling IMO. Like I stated earlier, I live in Atlanta and Atlanta is heavily segregated too, but it is NOTHING like Chicago. We have quite a few integrated areas in Atlanta proper and all our suburbs are very diverse even.

The segregation in Chicago is the main reason why I was hesitant about moving there. It is just too much seperation IMO and too much racial tension and there were not enough moves toward breaking down barriers back when it would have made a different 30 years ago. I love the city though. It is beautiful and well kept and even the southside is not a hell hole like people think it is. My husband is a Chicago native and if you took a pic of his neighborhood, people would think it was a beautiful suburban community. They have gang problems there though and I honestly would worry about my son there due to the gang issue, which even though I feel has substantially decreased over the years, is still a big problem there and there is a lot of work to do to combat that crime aspect in the city.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They need to phase in a zero tolerance policy. Every single crime has to be swiftly tried and the perp needs to be incarcerated. There's too many criminals walking around free because no one cares as long as they stay in their little crime zones the city designates. If you get life in prison WO parole for any crime with a gun people will change their behavior. Life in prison WO parole for ANY drug selling offense. We have to clean up the streets.

That is a slippery slope and not a good idea IMO.

Locking up people is not a way to deal with crime. It only takes away parents and family members of children who need support and can lead them through a life of crime as well. Drug selling is not something that requires a life sentence in prison. That is just ridiculous. Even though I do not condone the sell of drugs, it would be better to legalize them, that way the crime surrounding the drug trade would decrease substantially.

Teach the drug dealing kids how to be entreprenures with a real, leagl business. That is the way to turn around a drug dealer, not put them in prison for life.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Did anyone see the "crime interrupters" documentary on Frontline? I think it was based in Chicago (BOOO Chicago!). Anyway, it was about treating crime more like a communicable disease, very interesting. They sent former gang members out into the streets to talk to people about violence, and stop fights and crimes and stuff like that before it happens. I'm not explaining it well. It was extremely interesting.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Carry on. I'm sick of African Americans murdering and robbing innocent people, disproportionately while you and others ignore the problems. All the while scream racism and wonder why folks profile us.

Get a clue.
I'm not going to call you a racist or a race-baiter. But the problem is, why did you bring this up in a non-black forum? If this is a problem that AA community has to solve, why is it in Politics and Other Controversies? You should know that there are some people who like to look for controversial issues just to troll and cause problems.

I believe this is a major problem in the black community, but it is not up to white America to solve it. It is a lot simpler for many to trash talk about or use it to prove some strange ideology that they have. There are some whites and other minorities that would like to help, but you and me both know that the black community does not like listening to "the white man." So I suggest reserving this kind of discussion for a black forum where the discussion will be more direct, and actually will accomplish something. The white people that profile us are not interested in helping solve the problem, but rather using it to boost their own ego. This kind of discussion is fodder for them.

Side note: For all the people screaming racism, it's not racism, it's profiling. Racism implies hatred for another skin color. I am assuming that most people are commenting on skin color without hate, though sometimes disrespectfully. So the word you are looking for is profiling.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I really wish this site would ban racist posters so we could start getting to the root of our problems in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies