Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Pets are cheaper and less responsibly and don't live as long . And if you can't / don't want to take care of it,you don't have to. You can give it away,sell it or bring it to a shelter . However people might not be having children as much ebcause they simply can't afford the life term commitment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
There are 7 billion people on the planet. I think we're ok in the human department.
Nah , we need a few more billion. The Planets capacity is 16 Billion...

Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
But, actually, if you think about it, it is very far from being fair to children to give birth to them when you have no way to support them or insure their future. Look at the economy over the last few years. And, there is nothing that shows any promise in the foreseeable future either. Not an environment to add additional burden of expenses with children. No matter how much one may want them. To forego having the children you can not afford makes all the sense in the world.
I know a number of large families living not much above poverty level whose children are doing wonderfully. These are deeply religious families with strong values and marriages. It's not easy today, but it can be done.

Having children has always been something of an act of faith. You know you're in for hardship and heartbreak. You might be able to provide for children today, but tomorrow is anybody's guess. Unemployment happens. Recessions happen. Expenses rise. There's illness and death and bankruptcy and foreclosure. There are no guarantees. Children get sick, they make bad decisions, they die, they go to jail, they get hurt, they oppose you, they break your heart.

Why have children at all? Because there are immeasurable blessings beyond the difficulties. A song by L'Angelus sums it up nicely:

Our children played in the storm
We gave them life
They gave us heaven
Laughter in the rain.
I gave you my heart
And you gave me yourself
“Ca c’est bon, ca c’est bon” -
Cried the hurricane.

L'Angelus - Ca C'est Bon - YouTube

Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Recently some people were at a restaurant and the restaurant wouldn't allow them to bring in the dogs, but did allow the kids in. They were from out of town and traveling, just trying to get something to eat but left the two dogs with windows a couple inches down so the dogs couldn't get out but someone called the police on them as the summer heat can kill dogs locked in cars even with windows a couple inches down.

Those people are too stupid to have either kids or pets. If they couldn't plan their trip around their dogs, they should have boarded them. How inherently stupid does one have to be to know not to leave animals in vehicles in the heat? Too damned stupid to be breeding, for sure.

Those poor dogs won't live long with irresponsible owners like that.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
When's the last time you saw a Black woman on welfare with more pets than Fatherless children?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
When's the last time you saw a Black woman on welfare with more pets than Fatherless children?
^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
WILLFUL IGNORANCE

(noun)
The practice or act of intentional and blatant avoidance, disregard or disagreement with facts, empirical evidence and well-founded arguments because they oppose or contradict your own existing personal beliefs.

This practice is most commonly found in the political or religious ideologies of "conservative" Americans.

Many times it is practiced due to laziness--people not wanting to have to do the work to rethink their opinions, the fear of the unknown, the fear of being wrong, or sometimes simply close-mindedness.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Those people are too stupid to have either kids or pets. If they couldn't plan their trip around their dogs, they should have boarded them. How inherently stupid does one have to be to know not to leave animals in vehicles in the heat? Too damned stupid to be breeding, for sure.

Those poor dogs won't live long with irresponsible owners like that.
I know -- but I was just pointing out that because of discrimination against dogs, that if you want to travel and stop at a restaurant, the dogs aren't allowed in like kids would be, and even motels discriminate against dogs but will let in kids. Renting an apartment can also be more difficult. In some cases, it's easier to just have kids.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know -- but I was just pointing out that because of discrimination against dogs, that if you want to travel and stop at a restaurant, the dogs aren't allowed in like kids would be, and even motels discriminate against dogs but will let in kids. Renting an apartment can also be more difficult. In some cases, it's easier to just have kids.
Maybe they should discriminate against kids too.

Who in the Hell cares?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
True. The death rate in completely capitalist monopolist societies keeps the population in check with starvation, disease and war.
Switzerland

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
While I am unable to support each point, I am in agreement with the inspiration for this thread. No matter how neurotic, treat people first. Love animals second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies