Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
because these people are mentally ill.
Probably has more to do with SRY gene regulation. In some cases, nondisjunction of the sex chromosomes during meiosis. Some people just have too many or too few copies of their x or y chromosomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
A lot of people really don't mind. I often dress very masculinely (as a biological female) and either people can tell and don't care or they mistake me for a guy. In any case, I don't really care if they see me as male, female, or "hard to peg". They can't offend me by picking the wrong pronoun/form of address. It can, admittedly, get a little confusing at times, though. I can't always tell if "sir" is me or the man next to me, or if "ma'am" is me or the woman next to me. I never know which gender someone will see me as in any given moment, and especially in a mixed crowd, so I end up responding to both. That can end up confusing other people, especially if they see me as one gender and I end up responding to the opposite form of address. Lol.

I think there is more stigma around men dressing as women. I think the idea is that because socially men have historically had more power, a man dressing en femme is seen as relinquishing his power, whereas a woman dressing as a man is seen as reclaiming her power. I'm not really sure--that's just a wild guess--but in the end I don't think it is a big deal.

I wish people would be more respectful though. Even if you disagree with cross-dressing, you can still be polite and civil to someone who is cross-dressed. Laughing at someone and mocking them is just rude.
You might get into trouble in the bar district of my town: Stillwater woman says attack was hate crime » Crime Beat » Stillwater NewsPress

Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 PM

410 posts, read 342,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I know a 6'4"ish ex-Navy officer who cross-dresses... I'd love to see you tell him where he can & cannot go, LOL.
Navy? Really? So what? They are a bunch of ******* anyway.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You might get into trouble in the bar district of my town: Stillwater woman says attack was hate crime » Crime Beat » Stillwater NewsPress
That's just wrong. I don't side with the gay agenda much, but violence of any kind (even verbal) is wrong.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Why are men and women excpected to dress differently? Why is it that if a person defies this norm (man wearing a dress , women in a men's suit and tie) do some people get up in arms about it? Why can't a person just dress the way the want (using good hygiene and judgement, no risque in church) and be left alone?

I just don't understand this fixation with the way others dress. So what if a man wants to walk down the street in a miniskirt with a purse, or a woman in baggy jeans and a t-shirt.
who here is saying anything about who dresses how? Do I understand your side of the picture? No, but if someone wants to play dress up that is their choice. I do remember, before I retired when our company had a job fair. A young man showed up for an interview and he was cross dressed, do you know who made the biggest deal out of this? The gay guys we worked with, they hated it.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
That's just wrong. I don't side with the gay agenda much, but violence of any kind (even verbal) is wrong.
My guess the violence came from a guy who came from a small farming town in Oklahoma where people who are not straight and white are almost never seen in the streets.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, the problem is that certain men dress as if they are women - that is the problem.

There are women who try to act is if they are men - that is wrong - however is is prevalant. Women who do this are being anti-women - they are denying their femality and are not acknowledging the importance of being female,
It's wrong for a woman to wear jeans, a t-shirt, and comfortable shoes?

I think many women aren't advertising and so aren't running around in high heels and short tight skirts.

Clothes do send a message that's one of their main purposes. High heels, tight skirts, are meant to convey a message and bring attention to one's self and advertise femininity -- whether it's a woman or a man.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
I seem to recall one Republican presidential hopeful with a propensity for wearing women's clothing:

Rudy Giuliani in Drag Smooching Donald Trump - YouTube

Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Default What's the big deal about crossdressing?

For me? Shoes.. I have big feet so i have to mail order, it can be a real pain when you just have to have a pair to match that new dress..

It's a case of personal preference and a choice that some people feel a need to make, a compulsion you could say. Some do it just for pleasure, a means to scratch an itch. In the end does it make them feel happier or more comfortable with who they are? If it does then fine, it doesn't or at least shouldn't bother anyone else so where's the harm.

It bothers me not one iota and i can't think of one logical reason why it would...

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Somebody wants to cross dress, more power to them. It is still a free country. And to tell the truth, cross dressers don't show as much of their anatomy as some dude wearing running tights with a boner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies