Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, they haven't thrown too many of us in the dungeon yet. We should be happy.
I'm sure posters like me are on a short list somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
They got the law in place now to put us nuisances away.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They got the law in place now to put us nuisances away.
Yes, they do, in the name of homeland security any citizen (deemed a threat) can be arrested and jailed indefinitely without habeas corpus - a writ (legal action) which requires a person under arrest to be brought before a judge or into court.

The Constitution has become a piece of paper progressives use to wipe their a$$es with.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would think that the first thing they would notice would be all of these four wheeled vehicles with no visible means of power flying by them at speeds would seem like jet planes breaking the sound barrier. Jefferson in particular would be SHOCKED and appalled the absence of family farms surrounding the capital. But I think that Hamilton would have a good couple of days talking to Benarke about the workings of the Federal Reserve. What Madison would be doing... frankly I really don't care because 18th century gentleman farmers could have never foresee the complexity of a nation with over 300 million living in a technologically driven global economy.
Seriously. It amazes me that people are so hell bent on following a document as if we were still an agrarian society, several million people large, and the primary means of transportation on land were beasts of burden.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Don't flatter yourself. Posting on an internet forum doesn't make one a political activist or a rebel.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Seriously. It amazes me that people are so hell bent on following a document as if we were still an agrarian society, several million people large, and the primary means of transportation on land were beasts of burden.
Well, I sorry but I'm one of those people. The Constitution was a frame work and wasn't written to cover every turn of events which is why there are so many terms and phrases which lack specificity or definition, hence the reason for Article One, section 8, clause 18:
The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
So, I am very definitely one who is "hell bent on following" the OUTLINE laid out by the Constitution and who is willing to hammer out the details in the Congress and the Courts as prescribed in the framework we call the Constitution.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
Here's a man who stands with the Founding Fathers:
Boehner mixes up Constitution and Declaration - On Congress - POLITICO.com

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Tyranny arrived in America with the Puritans and the first salve ships.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
I didn’t find the attached article enlightening. It is not helpful to attempt to divine the original intent of the framers of our Constitution in every context; nor illuminating to read it by candlelight. Americans have always been a forward-looking people and not anachronistic in our views. (We no longer go about our lives in powdered wigs and small clothes.) I think it must be admitted that the Constitution is a "living document," as evident by the fact that it has been amended twenty-seven times since its adoption by the several states; which is a testament to the wisdom and foresight of the framers in making provision for such future changes. Surely, they could not have intended that we be ruled by their dead hands.

Times have changed. Democracy in America has come a long way from its early beginnings following our struggle for independence. The America Alexis de Tocqueville described in the 1830's, which was largely an agrarian society, was eclipsed by the rise of the nation as an industrial power in the latter half of the Nineteenth Century to become the great economic and military power of the Twentieth Century; and with such changes came the inevitable expansion of the nature and power of government, and the laws that govern our society. Our "founding fathers" could only be utterly astonished at the America of today. But what would comfort them most, notwithstanding the recent efforts of certain groups to rewrite our history, is that we are still a nation of laws and not men.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default How Tyranny Came to America

In our time:

1. torture of prisoners to obtain low quality "intelligence"

2. voter suppression laws

3. ruinous economic policy resulting in the worst recession in generations

4. repeated attempts to inject religious mumbo-jumbo into public policy/places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies