Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

If you have the time the NY Times has some pretty nice color pictures by Gordon Parks of African- Americans in the rural South during Jim Crow. It really is a vivid reminder of how different the black community appears to be today and the explicit racism they had to deal with.

Gordon Parks's Alternative Civil Rights Photographs - NYTimes.com
Quote:
It is in color, unlike most photographs of the movement. Its subject matter was neither newsworthy nor historic, unlike more widely published journalistic images of the racial murders, police brutality, demonstrations and boycotts that characterized the epic battle for racial justice and equality

Yet, as effectively as any civil rights photograph, the portrait was a forceful “weapon of choice,” as Mr. Parks would say, in the struggle against racism and segregation. He took the picture on assignment for a September 1956 Life magazine photo-essay, “The Restraints: Open and Hidden,” which documented the everyday activities and rituals of one extended black family living in the rural South under Jim Crow segregation.
While 20 photographs were eventually published in Life, the bulk of Mr. Parks’s work from that shoot was thought to have been lost. That is, until this spring, when the Gordon Parks Foundation discovered more than 70 color transparencies at the bottom of an old storage box, wrapped in paper and masking tape and marked, “Segregation Series.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Beautiful pics!!

Reminds me of pictures I have stored away from our family albums.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Thanks for posting Edward!

In our old family albums, the photos illustrate a different level of self respect that was de rigueur for the time. The men wore suits and ties while the women wore beautiful dresses with stockings and gloves just to sit on the veranda. Hats and gloves were worn by the women even just to go grocery shopping. Many of the solid values that were present during that time were definitely lost in the years following the Civil Rights movement.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many of the solid values that were present during that time were definitely lost in the years following the Civil Rights movement.
Yeah... Gone are the days!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I didn't see Lil Wayne anywhere. Or the other 4,000,000 replica's of him walking around on the streets. In fact, i've seen him about 4,157 times in the past month. Dreadlocks, wife beater, saggy pants, and half-cocked baseball cap. Apparently he's everywhere. Can't miss him!!

My point? I believe the black folks in those pictures look amazing, especially considering the circumstances. In an odd form of irony, the people depicted look a lot more diginified than 80% of the black people I lay eyes on on a daily basis. I think that's sad.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
What a golden time! To be black in the pre-civil rights South!! Too bad we all couldn't have lived that dream!!!
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to these people?: A Radically Prosaic Approach to Civil Rights Images-thomasshippabramsmith.jpg  

Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What a golden time! To be black in the pre-civil rights South!! Too bad we all couldn't have lived that dream!!!
Horrible as lynching was more Blacks are slain in American cities each year than the total that were lynched during Jim Crow.

I think you highlight part of the problem. IMHO when African -American history is taught an emphasis should be put on the positives and what Black overcame living in a hostile climate. That's a far more empowering message than simply saying your folks were slaves, discriminated and lynched and as a result you are at a disadvantage.

That's what I believe Gordon Parks was trying to convey in the pics. Very poignant, especially the one of well dressed kids peering at a whites only playground and not being allowed to play.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I didn't see Lil Wayne anywhere. Or the other 4,000,000 replica's of him walking around on the streets. In fact, i've seen him about 4,157 times in the past month. Dreadlocks, wife beater, saggy pants, and half-cocked baseball cap. Apparently he's everywhere. Can't miss him!!

My point? I believe the black folks in those pictures look amazing, especially considering the circumstances. In an odd form of irony, the people depicted look a lot more diginified than 80% of the black people I lay eyes on on a daily basis. I think that's sad.
Why how ironic. Actually, during the modern civil rights movement it was oftentimes the case that the white segregationists press commented on how dignified members of the movement were in comparison to the white counter-movement (the white resistance). Even the Richmond (Va.) News Leader commented that the opponents of civil rights reform caused many a Virginian "a tinge of wry regret at the state of things as they are, in reading of Saturday's 'sit-downs' by Negro students in Richmond stores. Here were the colored students, in coats, white shirts, ties, and one of them was reading Goethe and one was taking notes from a biology text. And here, on the sidewalk outside, was a gang of white boys come to heckle, a rag-tail rabble, slack-jawed, black-jacketed, grinning fit to kill, and some of them, God save the mark, were waving the proud and honored flag of the Southern States in the last war fought by gentlemen. Eheu! It gives one pause."

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Truth be told Americans in general have let themselves go but I loath the Lil Wayne look. I don't know why dudes would want to wear skinny jeans off their butt.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Why how ironic. Actually, during the modern civil rights movement it was oftentimes the case that the white segregationists press commented on how dignified members of the movement were in comparison to the white counter-movement (the white resistance). Even the Richmond (Va.) News Leader commented that the opponents of civil rights reform caused many a Virginian "a tinge of wry regret at the state of things as they are, in reading of Saturday's 'sit-downs' by Negro students in Richmond stores. Here were the colored students, in coats, white shirts, ties, and one of them was reading Goethe and one was taking notes from a biology text. And here, on the sidewalk outside, was a gang of white boys come to heckle, a rag-tail rabble, slack-jawed, black-jacketed, grinning fit to kill, and some of them, God save the mark, were waving the proud and honored flag of the Southern States in the last war fought by gentlemen. Eheu! It gives one pause."
Brings to mind something I read about WW1. Evidently when Army recruiters administered IQ like tests they found that on average Black Northern recruits outscored White Southern recruits and many potential White Southern recruits could not read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies