Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nudity...artistic or sensual?
Yes I can view an attractive nude and only appreciate it artistically. 38 70.37%
No I can't separate attractive nudity from sensuality or sexuality. 10 18.52%
I don't know. 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Have you seen some of those old classical paintings of women sort of standing around naked in a garden? (BTW, what went on back then so that half a dozen naked women in a garden would be the object of a painting?) I would say that is art and while I appreciate the beauty of the work itself, I do not attach a sexuality to it. Unless the name of the painting is "Diana." That changes everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
There is a - usually - clear difference between artistic nudity and nudity that is meant to titillate. Not that it matters, really, as I think it's all acceptable for adult viewing at their personal discretion. However, erotic nudity is likely to emphasize certain evocative poses and/or genital focus.

The difference in perception is usually a social construct.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Can you or anyone you know (male, female or other) separate attractive nudity from sensuality or sexuality? In other words can you or anyone you know look at an attractive nude person and not have any .... feelings other than artistic appreciation?
Yes. Quite easily. Myself any my girlfriends have what we call an "inner circle" of friends. People within this circle are people we feel safe enough around to do things nude (skinny dipping, sleeping, sharing a bed, using the jacussi and the like, changing in front of each other rather than hiding behind things, etc, etc, etc) with.

This has never led to sexual things happening per se - though being male there can always be an autonomic response from proximity to a warm human being - but remember many guys get the same response sitting bored in a maths class or church.

Its sensual, loving, trusting, special, and an expression of trust and friendship which I am glad we share. And yes I am very much able to "artistically" appreciate that some of them are indeed very attractive people.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I minored in art history in college, and after looking at hundreds of images and actual works of art depicting nudes, it is possible to see the artistic composition over a naked body. It's not unlike the debate about public breastfeeding. The lady feeding her baby in the food court at the mall is no more trying to titillate anyone sexually any more than Francesca Woodman was when she took many of her photographs. Arousal is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
I have been debating with another member on this forum concerning nudity and how it is perceived and understood in actual society.

My question to you is.....

Can you or anyone you know (male, female or other) separate attractive nudity from sensuality or sexuality? In other words can you or anyone you know look at an attractive nude person and not have any .... feelings other than artistic appreciation?

Yes. I don't really go gaa gaa that way over visuals in real life or on images.

I used to have that playboy shoot with elle in the hall next to my bathroom when I was younger. I just put them in a frame because I loved the shoot as it reminded me of classic helmut newton shots. (anyone remember that one from the 90s?) Any female that was over would come out talking about how amazing her legs look. Strait guys usually seemed confused why I even had it up and seemed afraid to look at it in front of me. Ha!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
While I certainly don't attempt to push my own beliefs on anyone else regarding it of course, I myself am not comfortable with seeing any public form of nudity, whether it is delineated as artistic or otherwise. For me, this includes movies, plays, etc. -- I cannot tell you how disappointed I am, every time I hear that another new female actress has done a nude scene for the first time in a movie, because I actually like and respect them a lot more when they keep their clothes on

I guess I think about it this way: if an average, ordinary person were to disrobe publicly in front of people, in most places in the U.S., s/he would be arrested by the police, for indecent exposure, public lewdness, etc. Why should celebrities be treated any differently, just b/c they happen to be high-profile people? Why is it "art" when it is in a movie or in a painting, but indecent exposure and treated as an obscenity when in public, that warrants a potential arrest? This has always rather confused me, as it has always seemed to me to be very contradictory...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-18-2012 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
It all depends.

I think that if I were in a sexually active relationship; then I would like to say that I could look at nudity and not be aroused.

From experience, I know that when I have gone a few years without any sexual contact with females; then it is nearly impossible for me to look at a female without being aroused. But really it does not take nudity to do that. A cute lady smiling is plenty.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Drew many nude models for my art degree. Um yeah didn't want to mount any. It was and is a piece of art. There is composition involved and mood. What are they portraying other than a nude body. Happiness, despair, solom, agony, directional points, color scheme, and more.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It all depends.

I think that if I were in a sexually active relationship; then I would like to say that I could look at nudity and not be aroused.

From experience, I know that when I have gone a few years without any sexual contact with females; then it is nearly impossible for me to look at a female without being aroused. But really it does not take nudity to do that. A cute lady smiling is plenty.
The more years it goes, the HARDER it gets!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Hell yes I can appreciate nude art without it being anything other than that.

Check out Spencer Tunick's art....
Just google his name, then images by him.....he's done some amazing nude art for Greenpeace, & I also like what he did in Amsterdam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies