Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone buy a house in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest? Blizzards in the winter and tornados in the summer. Sounds awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
By would anyone buy a house in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest? Blizzards in the winter and tornados in the summer. Sounds awesome.
Desert or midwest, both sound better than Chicago, LA, Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, Philidelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit or any other major city.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not surprising that Nevada and Arizona have the highest foreclosure rates in the U.S. It seemed that many residents failed the stupid test when they decided to buy a cheap home in the desert.

At least with Nevada, they had Las Vegas. For the life of me, I can't understand why people would move to the Arizona Desert. I guess a lot of people are now agreeing with me and are just walking...no running away from their homes there.

Nevada, Arizona, Georgia Post Top Foreclosure Rates in 2012 | InvestorPlace

I don't think living in the desert has anything to do with foreclosure rates. Florida's foreclosure rates are high, and it's nowhere near the desert.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Arizona and Nevada are number 1 and number 2. I don't care how cheap the house was I would still would not buy a house in the desert.
Arizona and Nevada just heaved a big sigh of relief.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Arizona and Nevada are number 1 and number 2. I don't care how cheap the house was I would still would not buy a house in the desert.

just wait till lake mead dries up,!!! exodus

Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:

I always remember this line from Cal. conservative politician Tom McClintock, who ran unsuccessfully against Arnold to replace the recalled Gray Davis in 2004. McClintock noted how years of liberalism had created a mass exodus from California, the Golden State, the land of dreams, for the adjaecent desert states of Nevada and Arizona:

Untitled Document
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McClintock
You want to know what kind of damage 34 years of Democratic majorities in a state legislature can cause – especially if you combine them with the last five years under a Democratic Governor? We have a 9.3 percent top income tax bracket that starts at $75,000 AND an 8 3⁄4 percent sales tax – and we still keep running out of money. We have the lowest credit rating of any state in the country – in fact, now 2 notches below the next lowest state and are poised to borrow $15 billion more. And we are watching the first domestic outmigration of population in our history.

In fact, according to the census data, the most popular destination for California expatriates is the middle of the Arizona and Nevada deserts. Now I want you to think about that for a second. Imagine turning your state into a less desirable place to live and work and raise your family than the middle of the Nevada and Arizona deserts.

There’s a reason why they tested nuclear weapons out in the southwestern desert of our nation. It’s the only place on the continent that can actually be IMPROVED with atomic bombs.

Now, I submit to you that no conceivable act of GOD could wreak such devastation on California. Only acts of Democrats could do that, and they have.
Despite all these problems, however, California does remain one of the best places in the nation to build a successful small business. You just need to start with a successful LARGE business.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
I have two friends, both can be considered wealthy and it is so puzzling to me that they both bought houses in Arizona (Scottsdale). Neither of these individuals needs to be concerned about seeking work as they are both comfortabley retired and have been since a young age. I cannot understand why Arizona would be the place of choice for them to settle in. The politics, the heat, the potential water shortages..who needs it? The dessert is beautiful if you are Georgia O'keefe, just sightseeing or a scorpion.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I've often wondered why places like Nevada were populated. Is there even any potential for agriculture out there? Like, yeah the plains states have extreme weather but they can also grow a lot of crops there. When I think of Nevada I just think of miles and miles of dirt and emptiness because there's very little water. Doesn't sound like the ideal place to plant your roots (literally and figuratively!).

Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Actually what's called "desert" in the USA are often not what people think of as deserts which is the Sahara desert of sand. Deserts have a lot of plant life and animal life, not really different from anywhere else. I live in what's considered to be desert and you can see deer, coyotes, cougars, foxes, beavers, muskrats, all kinds of birds including many migrating and year round water fowl.

People who have never been to the USA deserts have a big misunderstanding of what they are.

When I think of Phoenix, I think of orange trees.

You're right, of course.

But this "desert" is near where I was born in West Texas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...at_Sunrise.jpg

http://www.haunsgowest.com/wp-conten...un-800x533.jpg

Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've often wondered why places like Nevada were populated. Is there even any potential for agriculture out there? Like, yeah the plains states have extreme weather but they can also grow a lot of crops there. When I think of Nevada I just think of miles and miles of dirt and emptiness because there's very little water. Doesn't sound like the ideal place to plant your roots (literally and figuratively!).
Um, have you ever actually been to any of the places you complain about....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies